Craving for a hearty soup to warm the soul, this Instant Pot Pasta E Fagioli Soup is the one. Loaded with plenty of veggies, beans, and pasta, it’s delicious, wholesome, and will fill you up without making you feel weighed down. The best part, this soup can easily be made gluten-free and vegan too!
It’s the perfect comforting soup for a dreary winter evening!
Hello, Instant Pot user!
Are you looking for a one-pot meal to liven up your dinner tonight, then you have landed at the right spot!
Because today I am sharing with you an ultimate winter soup that is often on our weeknight menu – Instant Pot Pasta E Fagioli Soup.Instant Pot Pasta E Fagioli Soup
This fresh vegetable, bean, and pasta soup cooked with healthy and clean ingredients is super easy to make, and a weeknight savior for busy families.
I have to admit, a big bowl of piping, hot soup holds a warm spot in my heart. In my home, we love all kinds of soups.
I personally prefer thick, creamy soups like Instant Pot Chicken Lasagna soup, Creamy sweet potato and carrot soup, Broccoli lentil soup, White bean soup, as they’re nutritious, filling, and a clear winner every time.
Trust me; our soup bowls are licked clean!
Wondering what “Pasta E Fagioli” means?
It stands for Pasta and beans!
It’s a classic Italian dish in which pasta and beans are cooked and simmered collectively in a pot, and that really helps meld the flavors together. Instant Pot Pasta E Fagioli Soup
The best thing about Instant pot Pasta e Fagioli Soup is that this “peasant” dish is made with everyday ingredients. No fancy ingredients or equipment are required.
Ingredients for Instant Pot Pasta E Fagioli Soup
This protein-rich pasta and bean soup is made with simple pantry staples that are readily available, and they are –
» Olive oil – a must-have to sauté the vegetables. You can use vegetable oil or avocado oil as well.
» Onion and garlic – the staple ingredients that add so must flavor.
» Celery stalks – lends a deep herby touch.
» Carrots – of course, for sweetness and color. Instant Pot Pasta E Fagioli Soup
» Marinara sauce + diced tomatoes – the combo of these is the real tastemaker of this soup. Together it produces an excellent sauce base.
» White Cannellini Beans – a great source of fiber and protein.
» Italian seasoning and crushed chili flakes – herbs that add a deep herbal note.
» Pasta – I have used Ditalini pasta but feel free to use any smaller shaped pasta for pasta e Fagioli soup.
» Vegetable stock – adds a nice extra flavor to the soup. Always use low-sodium broth. Regular vegetable broth is seasoned with too much salt, and you may end up with an over-salted soup.
» Spinach Leaves – a healthy leafy green that lends some beneficial nutrients to this soup. Instant Pot Pasta E Fagioli Soup
» Grated Parmesan cheese – a must-have as a garnish on top. They add richness to this soup. But if you want to make this soup vegan, omit the cheese.
How to make Instant Pot Pasta E Fagioli Soup?
1. Turn the Instant Pot on to SAUTE mode. Add oil.
2. As the Instant pot insert heats up, add bay leaf and garlic paste to the insert. Sauté for a few minutes.
3. Add onions to the insert.
4. Sauté for 3-4 minutes or until onions are translucent.
5. Next, add diced carrots and celery to the insert and mix well.
6. Sauté for 2-3 minutes.
7. Then add diced tomatoes.
8. And marinara sauce to the insert. Mix it well. Instant Pot Pasta E Fagioli Soup
9. Remember to deglaze the bottom of the inner pot to avoid the burn message.
10. Now add Italian seasoning, red chili flakes, and salt to the insert.
11. Mix to combine. Instant Pot Pasta E Fagioli Soup
12. Add white cannellini beans and pour in vegetable stock.
13. Finally, add raw ditalini pasta to the inner pot. Seal the Instant Pot with its lid and set the valve to SEALING. Press the CANCEL button.
Press pressure cook/Manual on the front panel and adjust the time to 4 minutes on HIGH pressure. The display will read as ON until the IP comes to pressure. This will take about 10-12 minutes.
14. Once the cooking time has elapsed, your Instant Pot will beep, allow the Instant pot to sit. Let the pressure release naturally for 5 minutes. Then release the steam by carefully turning the valve to VENTING. This will quick-release the remaining steam.
15. Once the Instant Pot pin drops, carefully open the lid. Add fresh spinach leaves.
16. Mix it well. Spinach leaves will wilt soon in the soup. Spoon the soup in a large bowl, garnish with grated parmesan cheese and serve warm.Instant Pot Pasta E Fagioli Soup
What other vegetables can I use in Pasta E Fagioli soup?
This pasta soup can be cooked with various root vegetables such as sweet potatoes, parsnips, or turnips. Other vegetables like broccolini or seasonal squash could be a great addition as well.
Can this recipe of Pasta e Fagioli soup feed a large gathering?
The recipe as written can feed up to 6 people but can easily be scaled up or down to feed all the soup fans at your dinner table. Pasta e Fagioli is an excellent soup for gatherings and dinners.
Can I cook the pasta before adding it to the soup?
Of course, you can! Simply boil the pasta as per package instructions, drain and set aside. When the Instant pot soup is ready with cooked vegetables and beans, add it to the soup. Stir and let it sit for a while to soak in all the flavors.
Pro tip – lightly undercook pasta because it will continue to cook in the soup even after the Instant pot is turned off.
How to store leftover Pasta e Fagioli soup?
The leftover Pasta e Fagioli soup will stay good for a day in the refrigerator. You must be wondering why only a day in the fridge? The answer is simple.
This soup is best enjoyed fresh (the day it is made) as pasta makes a large part of this soup, and if stored for long, the pasta will continue to absorb all the liquid in the soup, lose its structure and become soggy.
We did have some leftover soup and stored it overnight. The next day I found the pasta considerably soggy, and the soup became thick.
It wasn’t that bad, I just had to add some warm vegetable broth to the soup, and thereon it was all good.
This soup also goes well with roasted chickpea and arugula salad,
So let’s head to the kitchen to cook up this flavor-packed pasta e Fagioli soup. Who knows, this pasta and bean soup might just become your new family favorite.
Should you make this pasta e Fagioli soup, please leave me a comment below, and don’t forget to share it with your family and friends.
Craving for more, try some other soul-warming soups-
Instant Pot Pasta E Fagioli Soup
FOR INSTANT POT PASTA E FAGIOLI SOUP
- 2 tablespoons Olive oil
- 1 – Bay leaf
- 4 – Garlic pods crushed
- 1 medium Onion finely chopped
- 2 – Celery stalks
- 2 small Carrots sliced, in rounds, about ½ cup
- 1 cup Marinara sauce
- 14 oz Diced tomatoes
- 15 oz White Cannellini Beans drained and rinsed
- 1 teaspoon Italian Seasoning
- ½ teaspoon Crushed red chili flakes
- 1 cup Ditalini Pasta
- 4 cups Vegetable stock
- 2 cups Baby Spinach Leaves
- – – Grated Parmesan cheese
- – – Fresh Basil leaves
- Turn the Instant Pot on to SAUTE mode. Add oil.
- As the Instant pot insert heats up, add bay leaf and garlic paste to the insert. Sauté for a few minutes.
- Add onions to the insert. Sauté for 3-4 minutes or until onions are translucent.
- Next, add diced carrots and celery to the insert and mix well. Sauté for 2-3 minutes.
- Then add diced tomatoes and marinara sauce to the insert. Mix it well.
- Remember to deglaze the bottom of the inner pot to avoid the burn message.
- Now add Italian seasoning, red chili flakes, and salt to the insert. Mix to combine.
- Add white cannellini beans and pour in vegetable stock.
- Finally, add raw ditalini pasta to the inner pot. Seal the Instant pot with its lid and set the valve to SEALING. Press the CANCEL button.
- Press pressure cook/Manual on the front panel and adjust the time to 4 minutes on HIGH pressure. The display will read as ON until the IP comes to pressure. This will take about 10-12 minutes.
- Once the cooking time has elapsed, your Instant Pot will beep, allow the Instant pot to sit. Let the pressure release naturally for 5 minutes. Then release the steam by carefully turning the valve to VENTING. This will quick-release the remaining steam.
- Once the instant pot pin drops, carefully open the lid. Add fresh spinach leaves.
- Mix it well. Spinach leaves will wilt soon in the soup. Spoon the soup in a large bowl, garnish with grated parmesan cheese and serve warm.