A combination of lentil, broccoli, fresh veggies, and spices makes up this hearty and healthy Instant Pot Broccoli Lentil Soup. Pair this flavor-packed soup with some homemade bread for a wholesome meal tonight.
Okay, before you start reading this post/recipe let me ask you something first – do you own this magic pot – Instant Pot yet?
If not, PLEASE get one. “I’m serious, no kidding.”
Whether you are a stay-at-home-mom or a working mom or a chef, you need an Instant Pot in your life. The instant pot has made our life so much easier.
Many recipes that used to take a tremendous amount of time can now be left to cook in an Instant Pot at home. It reduces cooking time significantly and provides hassle-free cooking.
The best part – no need to watch the pot and once the cooking cycle finishes (or the timer goes off), Instant Pot will automatically go into the “Keep-Warm” mode. Come back later to check on your delicious meal.
It’s that simple. It’s one of my favorite appliances in the kitchen.
Besides rice and pasta, Instant Pot has made many soups a very feasible choice for dinner, and today, I have just the one for you! A comforting, filling one-pot Instant Pot Broccoli Lentil Soup.
This delicious soup is one of the healthiest soups I make for my family. It is made up of simple ingredients and pantry staples.
On top of that, this recipe is perfect for all diets, it is:
- vegan, and
It’s the perfect pick for the entire family. As a bonus, if cooked in an Instant Pot, this delicious soup comes together in less than 30 minutes and is one of my current favorites.
WHAT MAKES UP THIS Instant Pot Broccoli Lentil Soup?
Lentils – Many people consider lentils as dull, tasteless legumes. But trust me, there are so many reasons to love lentils. They –
- cooks up quickly
- rich source of protein, fiber, and iron
- easily digestible
- unlike beans, doesn’t require soaking
- is nutrient-rich and low in calories.
So many reasons to love these earthy flavored legumes. Incorporate them on a regular basis in your weekday meals for a clean-eating dinner.
Broccoli – This super vegetable is an excellent source of iron and also contains lots of potassium, magnesium, and calcium. It clears your body of excess heat and can improve your vision too!
Carrots – is a rich source of Vitamin A and can improve your vision. It’s perfect for your eyes. Besides Vit.A, it also provides other vitamins, minerals, and fiber. It aids in digestion and helps to detoxify the body.
Celery – is mainly water but an excellent source of Vitamin K, A, fiber, and folate. This healthy vegetable also helps in lowering blood pressure. So start adding celery to your dishes!
Spices – My lentil soup seasoned with few of my favorite spices like – crushed red pepper flakes, turmeric, cumin, black pepper, and salt add flavor and takes the soup to a whole new level.
How to make Instant Pot Broccoli Lentil Soup?
There are no particular steps involved in this soup. It is like a ‘SET-IT’ and ‘FORGET-It’ kind of meal. Begin by sauteeing onion-ginger-garlic in the ‘SAUTE’ mode for a couple of minutes. Toss in your veggies and cook for 3-4 minutes.
Now add lentils, spices, water/broth and watch the Instant Pot create a beautiful meal for you.
Once the timer goes off, wait for 2 minutes and then release the pressure. When you take off the lid, your soup will be thick. Celery, broccoli, and carrots will quickly break down during pressure cooking. Hand-blend the soup with a spoon.
Adjust the consistency as necessary by adding more water, and be sure to adjust the seasonings too. Note that this soup will thicken as it cools. Squeeze a generous amount of lemon for bright, fresh flavor and serve hot.
What to serve along side this Instant Pot Broccoli Lentil Soup?
This soup is loaded with essential nutrients and has a very delectable taste. The occasional bits of carrots and broccoli lends a great texture to this soup.
I eat my soup with a baguette on the side, but my kids love to eat by dunking their baguette until it soaks up the soup.
Do give this warm and comforting soup a try and if you happen to make it, then please comment below and leave your feedback. Let me know in the comments if you try this recipe. If you have any questions, I would be happy to answer them. Would love to hear from you. ?
Instant Pot Broccoli Lentil Soup
- 1 small Onion, cubed
- 2 cloves of Garlic, crushed
- 1 teaspoon Ginger, crushed
- 4 stalks of Celery, diced
- 8 small Baby carrots, cubed
- 1 cup Washed broccoli florets
- 1.5 cup Red Lentils
- 1 teaspoon Crushed red chili flakes
- 1 teaspoon Cumin powder
- 3/4 teaspoon Turmeric powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Freshly crushed Black pepper
- 5-6 cups Water or Vegetable stock
- – – Salt to taste
- 3 tablespoon Olive oil
- – – Chili flakes
- – – Chopped cilantro leaves
- – – Fresh squeeze of lemon
- Wash lentils under cold water until the water runs clear. Set it aside.
- Drizzle oil into the Instant Pot. Set it to SAUTE. Once the oil is hot, add onions, garlic, and ginger.
- Cook onions, garlic, and ginger stirring often, until the onions are translucent.
- Stir in celery, carrots, and sauté for 3-4 minutes.
- Add broccoli florets.
- Add lentils to the pot and stir to combine with the veggies.
- Add turmeric, cumin, black pepper, red chili, and salt. Pour 5-6 cups of water/veg stock. Make sure everything is covered under water.
- Cover, and seal the Instant Pot. Cancel the ‘Saute’ mode. Select ‘Manual’ mode and then set to cook on HIGH pressure for 5 minutes.
- Once 5 minutes are done, wait for 2 minutes then release the pressure. Open the lid and stir the soup.
- Hand blend the soup with a spatula. If the soup is too thick for your liking, add 1/4 cup of water or stock until you reach your desired consistency.
- I prefer a thick and hearty soup that’s the reason I have hand blended my soup but feel free to use an immersion blender to blend your soup.
- Taste and adjust the seasoning. Serve hot with a sprinkle of red chili flakes and chopped cilantro leaves. Also, squeeze a generous amount of lemon for bright, fresh flavor.
Tips to Consider!
Disclaimer: Nutritional information provided below is approximate. Variations may exist due to the ingredients/brands used. Please refer to a Registered Dietitian or Nutritionists if you have any health issues.
Calories: 261kcal | Carbohydrates: 36g | Protein: 12g | Fat: 7g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 71mg | Potassium: 726mg | Fiber: 16g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 11350IU | Vitamin C: 20.3mg | Calcium: 66mg | Iron: 4.1mg