Instant Pot Butternut Squash and Quinoa Stew is a simple weeknight comfort food. This ultimate-feel-good-stew is deliciously healthy, wholesome and packed with all the good stuff! Gluten-free and Vegan too!
There is one dish that I can serve consistently throughout the year, and that is my family-favorite – Instant Pot Butternut Squash And Quinoa Stew! Whatever the weather be, warm stews and soups are always greeted well at my house.
My family loves stew, and it surfaces pretty regularly on my weekly meal planner. And this stew perfectly falls into a comfort food category that’s substantial enough to make a meal in itself.
Do you have a family-favorite dish on your menu?
Please share in the comments below. Would love to read all about it. 🙂
Wondering whether it is a soup or a stew. So let me clarify that first.
SOUPS AND STEWS ARE DIFFERENT!
Soup and stew both are made with a blend of vegetables and protein. Though they are very identical yet, they are different. The volume of the liquid designates whether a meal is a soup or a stew.
Soups have more liquid and are thin in consistency. Whereas, stews have a thicker gravy and are crowded with chunky vegetables and protein.
A handful of modest ingredients can make a yummy soup, but a hearty stew uses a lot of condiments and seasonings.
A simple soup can come together in minutes, but a protein-rich stew requires an extended period of cooking (depends on ingredients too).
Ingredients required to Make Instant Pot Butternut Squash And Quinoa Stew?
This stew has pretty much all of my favorite ingredients –
- soft butternut squash,
- healthy black beans,
- protein-rich quinoa, and
- vitamin-rich carrots.
Quinoa + butternut squash is a perfect-stew-combination just like – peanut butter and jelly.
On one end where quinoa makes the stew filling, chunky pieces of butternut squash impart a rich and creamy texture. And not to mention, carrots and black beans together adds some real element to this stew that makes it a wholesome meal. Collectively, this stew is a well-rounded meal that is bursting with fantastic flavors!
How to make Instant Pot Butternut Squash And Quinoa Stew?
Start the recipe by peeling, seeding and chopping a butternut squash. Set it aside.
Heat your Instant Pot on ‘Saute’ mode. Add onion, garlic, and carrots. Cook for 1-2 minutes. Add cubes of butternut squash, along with chopped tomatoes, sriracha, and spices. Chunks of butternut squash will become soft and tender as they cook in the Instant Pot.
Pour in vegetable stock/water. Give it a good mix. Finally, add quinoa along with black beans and turn the Instant Pot off. Turn it on again at Manual mode and pressure cook for 5 minutes on High Pressure.
Once the Instant Pot beeps, do a QPR and release all the pressure. Quinoa will expand during cooking and will add a great texture and consistency to this stew. Feel Free to add more water to adjust consistency.
MAKE AHEAD RECIPE!
This stew is a great make-ahead dinner. Make it in advance and reheat just before serving until piping hot.
It makes perfect leftovers for lunch the next day. Pair it with your favorite focaccia bread for a warm, light lunch.
Want to freeze this Instant Pot Butternut Squash And Quinoa Stew?
Go ahead. It stores well in the freezer.
Do give this Instant Pot Butternut Squash And Quinoa Stew a try and it will soon become your new favorite dinner recipe.
Let me know in the comments if you try this recipe. If you have any questions, I would be happy to answer them. Would love to hear from you. 🙂
WATCH THE Instant Pot Butternut Squash and Quinoa Stew VIDEO BELOW!
Are we friend’s yet? For new updates and recipes, follow @ruchiskitchen on –
For new updates and recipes, follow @ruchiskitchen on –
Don’t forget to ⭐ rate the recipe and leave me a comment below.
Instant Pot Vegan Butternut Squash And Quinoa Stew
- – – Diced Avocado
- – – Chopped cilantro leaves
- Start the stew by peeling,
- De-seeding and
- Chopping a butternut squash. Set it Aside.
- Heat the Instant Pot in ‘SAUTE MODE’. Add olive oil. When it gets hot, add onions, garlic, and carrots. Saute for 1-2 minutes.
- Add cubes of butternut squash.
- Now add chopped tomatoes, sriracha, and spices. Feel free to adjust the spice level. This stew is moderately spicy but not overly.
- Pour in vegetable stock/water.
- Give it a good mix.
- Finally, add rinsed quinoa along with black beans and turn the Instant Pot off.
- Close the lid with the valve/whistle in sealing position. Change the Instant Pot setting to ‘MANUAL OR PRESSURE COOK MODE’ and allow it to cook for 5 minutes on high pressure.
- After the Instant Pot beeps, do a ‘Quick Pressure Release’. A quick pressure release is when you bring the valve/whistle to the venting position and allow the steam to release quickly.
- Quinoa will expand during cooking. Feel free to add extra water to adjust consistency. Do the taste test.
- Serve hot garnished with chopped avocados and cilantro leaves.
- sweet potatoes
- any other seasonal squash.
- pinto beans
- kidney beans
- cannellini beans.