Instant Pot Butternut Squash and Quinoa Stew is a simple weeknight comfort food.
This ultimate-feel-good-stew is deliciously healthy, wholesome and packed with all the good stuff! Gluten-free and Vegan too!
There is one dish that I can serve consistently throughout the year, and that is my family-favorite – Instant Pot Butternut Squash And Quinoa Stew!
Whatever the weather be, warm stews and soups are always greeted well at my house.
My family loves stew, and it surfaces pretty regularly on my weekly meal planner.
And this stew perfectly falls into a comfort food category that’s substantial enough to make a meal in itself.
Do you have a family-favorite dish on your menu? Please share in the comments below. Would love to read all about it. 🙂
Wondering whether it is a soup or a stew. So let me clarify that first.
SOUPS AND STEWS ARE DIFFERENT!
Soup and stew both are made with a blend of vegetables and protein. Though they are very identical yet, they are different.
The volume of the liquid designates whether a meal is a soup or a stew.
1. Consistency wise, soups have more liquid and are liquidy. Whereas, stews have a thicker gravy and are crowded with chunky vegetables and protein.
2. A handful of modest ingredients can make a yummy soup, but a hearty stew uses a lot of condiments and seasonings.
3. A simple soup can come together in minutes, but a protein-rich stew requires an extended period of cooking (depends on ingredients too).
So what makes this Instant Pot Butternut Squash And Quinoa Stew so good for you?
The ingredients! This stew has pretty much all of my favorite ingredients –
- soft butternut squash,
- healthy black beans,
- protein-rich quinoa, and
- vitamin-rich carrots.
On one end where quinoa makes the stew filling, chunky pieces of butternut squash impart a rich and creamy texture.
And not to mention, carrots and black beans together adds some real element to this stew that makes it a wholesome meal.
Collectively, this stew is a well-rounded meal that is bursting with fantastic flavors!
How to make Instant Pot Butternut Squash And Quinoa Stew?
Peeling the squash
1. Clean butternut squash with a wet towel to remove dirt or grits. Poke holes in the squash.
2. Microwave on HIGH for 3-4 minutes. Microwaving it will soften the skin and make it easy to peel.
3. After the cooking time is over, carefully remove the squash from the microwave.
4. Lay the butternut squash on a chopping board. Allow it to cool. Once the butternut squash is cool enough to handle, peel the outer layer with a sharp peeler.
5. Slice the top and end off. Using a spoon, scoop out the seeds and flesh attached to the seeds.
6. Cut the butternut squash into cubes and set it aside.
Cooking Stew in Instant Pot
1. Heat the Instant Pot in ‘SAUTE MODE’. Add olive oil. When it gets hot, add onions, garlic, and carrots. Saute for 1-2 minutes.
2. Add cubes of butternut squash.
3. Now add chopped tomatoes, sriracha, and spices. Feel free to adjust the spice level. This stew is moderately spicy but not overly.
4. Pour in vegetable stock/water. Give it a good mix.
Variations and Faq’s related to Instant Pot Butternut Squash And Quinoa Stew
Don’t have a liking for butternut squash, no worries. Swap butternut squash for – sweet potatoes, pumpkin, any other seasonal squash.
Likewise, feel free to swap black beans with chickpeas, pinto beans, kidney beans, or cannellini beans.
Can you make this stew in advance? Absolutely!
To freeze, allow the stew to cool comfortably. Then transfer it to portion-sized containers or freezer bags and store away.
Can you double up on this stew? Of course! This recipe serves four. If you plan to accommodate a large gathering, then you might have to double up on the recipe.
Do give this Instant Pot Butternut Squash And Quinoa Stew a try and it will soon become your new favorite dinner recipe.
Let me know in the comments if you try this recipe. If you have any questions, I would be happy to answer them. Would love to hear from you.
Craving for more, be sure to try out my other Instant Pot recipes!
Instant Pot Vegan Butternut Squash And Quinoa Stew
- – – Diced Avocado
- – – Chopped cilantro leaves
PEEL THE BUTTERNUT SQUASH
- Clean butternut squash with a wet towel to remove dirt or grits. Poke holes in the squash.
- Microwave on HIGH for 3-4 minutes. Microwaving it will soften the skin and make it easy to peel. After the cooking time is over, carefully remove the squash from the microwave.
- Lay the butternut squash on a chopping board. Allow it to cool. Once the butternut squash is cool enough to handle, peel the outer layer with a sharp peeler.
- Slice the top and end off. Using a spoon, scoop out the seeds and flesh attached to the seeds. Cut the butternut squash into cubes and set it aside.
COOKING THE STEW IN INSTANT POT
- Heat the Instant Pot in ‘SAUTE MODE’. Add olive oil. When it gets hot, add onions, garlic, and carrots. Saute for 1-2 minutes.
- Add cubes of butternut squash.
- Now add chopped tomatoes, sriracha, and spices. Feel free to adjust the spice level. This stew is moderately spicy but not overly. Pour in vegetable stock/water. Give it a good mix.
- Finally, add rinsed quinoa along with black beans and turn the Instant Pot off.
- Close the lid with the valve/whistle in sealing position. Change the Instant Pot setting to ‘MANUAL OR PRESSURE COOK MODE’ and allow it to cook for 5 minutes on high pressure.
- After the Instant Pot beeps, do a ‘Quick Pressure Release’. A quick pressure release is when you bring the valve/whistle to the venting position and allow the steam to release quickly.
- Quinoa will expand during cooking. Feel free to add extra water to adjust consistency. Do the taste test.
- Serve hot garnished with chopped avocados and cilantro leaves.
Disclaimer: Nutritional information provided below is approximate. Variations may exist due to the ingredients/brands used. Please refer to a Registered Dietitian or Nutritionists if you have any health issues.
Calories: 246kcal | Carbohydrates: 39g | Protein: 8g | Fat: 6g | Sodium: 507mg | Potassium: 604mg | Fiber: 7g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 6235IU | Vitamin C: 15.8mg | Calcium: 63mg | Iron: 3.3mg