Crunchy and crispy Falahari Paneer Makhane Gulgulle topped with shredded cucumbers and chutney makes a fantastic appetizer. These savory snacks are simply delicious, Gluten-free and vegetarian!
With Navratri just around the corner, my focus has shifted to fasting recipes and do you know what that means — lots of yum, tasty recipes coming your way. Every year, I try to introduce falahari recipes that are made according to fasting norms and are equally healthy and delicious.
This year too, I have a collection of sweet and savory recipes with contrasting flavors that complement each other beautifully. My last Navratri recipes were –
This year, the first one on the list is – Falahari Paneer Makhane Gulgulle.
WHAT IS NAVRATRI?
Navratri means ‘nine nights‘. It marks the beginning of the festive season. It’s an auspicious time of the year where devotees observe fast/vrat for 7-8 days. They follow a simple diet and eat a gluten-free meal once a day. To help you with a vrat meal plan, I have compiled a list of yummy and delicious 40 Navratri Vrat Recipes/ Upvas Recipes.
What is savory gulgulle?
Gulgulle or Ram ladoo is a favorite street food of Delhi. These crispy and crunchy moong dal fritters topped with shredded radish and tangy chutneys make a yummy snack. That’s how the idea popped into my mind, and I decided to make a vrat/fasting version. For vrat, I swapped lentils with foxnuts, potatoes and paneer (Indian cottage cheese).
How to make Falahari Paneer Makhane Gulgulle?
No fancy ingredient goes in this recipe. It’s pretty simple and straightforward.
- Dry roast the makhane first.
- When cooled grind it to its powdered form.
- Then combine with mild spices, boiled potato, and paneer to form soft dough balls.
- These makhane balls are then cooked in an appe pan or deep fried until crispy and golden in color.
- You can enjoy them as is with vrat ki chutney or proceed to the next step – make gulgulle.
To enjoy these makhane balls as gulgulle:
Traditionally, gulgulle is relished with shredded radish flakes. Since it’s a vrat recipe, I have topped gulgulle with cucumber.
- Shred cucumbers.
- Remove excess water and season with salt.
- Generously sprinkle on paneer-makhane balls, top with chutney, vrat ka chaat masala and serve immediately.
Follow my friend Sonal Gupta’s blog for vrat ka chaat masala.
I encourage you to give this recipe a try and share your feedback! If you have questions related to this recipe, send me an email and I would be happy to answer them. We’d love to hear from you. 🙂
Craving for more, try these other options!
Thanks for reading.💕
Are we friend's yet? For new updates and recipes, follow @ruchiskitchen on -
For new updates and recipes, follow @ruchiskitchen on -
Don’t forget to ⭐ rate the recipe and leave me a comment below.
Falahari Paneer Makhane Gulgulle
FOR PANEER MAKHANE BALLS
- 1.25 cup Phool Makhane (puffed lotus seed or foxnut)
- 1 small Boiled potato, peeled and mashed
- 1 cup Shredded Paneer
- 3 tablespoon Arrowroot flour or Any vrat flour
- - - Salt to taste (Vrat salt - Sendha namak)
- 1 teaspoon Degi Mirch or Red chili Powder
- 1 teaspoon Dried mint leaves, crushed
- 2 small green chilies chopped
- 2 tablespoon Chopped cilantro leaves
- 1 medium Cucumber, peeled and shredded
- 1 cup Vrat ki Green chuteny
MAKING PANEER MAKHANE BALLS
- Assemble all the ingredients.
- Arrowroot powder.
- Chopped cilantro and green chilies.
- Dry roast makhane in a heavy bottomed pan until light brown in color.
- Allow it to cool. Transfer them to a food processor and
- Grind the makhane into a powder.
- Combine all the ingredients 'listed under paneer makhane' into a bowl.
- Add arrowroot powder.
- Add powdered makhane to the mix.
- Knead until well combined.
- Add 1-2 tablespoon of warm water to knead a soft dough.
- Divide the dough into equal sized balls.
- Grease a appe pan and cook paneer makhane balls until crispy.
- Or feel free to deep fry them. There is no difference in the end result.
- They tastes equally delicious.
- Shred cucumber. Remove excess water.
- Vrat ki chutney - link provided above in ingredient list.
- Paneer makhane balls.
- Assemble balls in a serving ball, top with shredded cucumbers, chutney, vrat ka chaat masala and serve immediately.