Healthy and delicious savory steamed cake made with little millet and tapioca pearls. Vrat ka dhokla or Sama ke Chawal ka Dhokla is light, spongy, and full of flavor! A gluten-free delicacy!
Vrat ka dhokla or Sama ke Chawal ka Dhokla is a quick and straightforward phalahari dhokla that is prepared with simple ingredients and uses no ENO.
If you avoid eating eno during vrat then this is a perfect recipe for you.
What is Sama rice?
Sama rice, also known as little millets is a gluten-free grain that behaves like rice and is perfect as a fasting ingredient.
In various regional languages, sama rice is called mordhan or moraiyo.
Combine it tapioca pearls and curd to create a lip-smacking fasting delicacy. It’s incredibly light and very airy snack. Pair it with vrat ki chutney, and they both complement each other perfectly.
Now on to the recipe!
Soak sama ke chawal and powdered sabudana in water for 3- 4 hours or you can soak it overnight in the refrigerator. After the desired soaking time, grind it until smooth.
Add curd along with enough water to make a dropping consistency batter. Make sure the batter is smooth and creamy. If the mixture is grainy, dhokla will not turn out light and airy.
Finally add spices, baking powder and beat it well. The more the air is incorporated, the lighter the dhokla.
Grease a plate, pour the mix and steam dhokla for 12- 15 minutes or until the inserted knife comes out clean.
Some notes about baking powder!
- Baking powder is a composition of 2 parts (teaspoon) of cream of tartar + 1 part (teaspoon) of baking soda.
- Cream of tartar is used to increase the acidity of the batter.
- To activate it I have used citric acid + lemon juice + water +curd.
Another substitute for baking powder will be –
- citric acid + lemon juice + water +curd + 1 teaspoon of cream of tartar + 3-4 hours of fermentation. Results will not be the same as shown above but dhokla will turn out to be light and moist.
Prepare tadka/tempering with ingredients mentioned below and as they start to sizzle, take it off the flame and pour over dhokla. Cut squares and enjoy it with vrat ki chutney.
This dhokla can be prepared in a microwave too. Step by step recipe listed below.
Other vrat recipes –
- Sabudana Ladoo,
- Vrat Rajgiria Puri,
- Sabudana Uttapam,
- Kuttu and Singhare ke atte ki Roti,
- Sabudana Khichdi,
- Sabudana Vrat Dosa,
- Sama ki Tikki or Sabudana Vada and
Vrat ka dhokla or Sama ke Chawal ka Dhokla
- 2 tablespoons Oil
- 3 pieces of Green Chilies
- 10 leaves of Curry leaves
- ½ teaspoon Sugar (optional)
FOR STEAMED DHOKLA
- Wash sama rice under tap water until it runs clear. Set it aside to drain.
- Transfer raw sabudana to a grinder.
- Cover the blender and grind the sabudana/sago pearls until it reaches a fine powder-like consistency.
- Combine powdered sabudana and sama rice in a bowl. Add enough water to soak the grains. Set it aside in the refrigerator for 3-4 hours or overnight.
- After the desired cycle is over, blend the soaked mixture to make a smooth batter. The batter should be creamy, not grainy. If it's grainy, blend until smooth. Add yogurt, lemon juice, sugar, citric acid, and salt. Mix to combine. The batter should of pouring consistency. If it's thick, add extra water to adjust the consistency.
- Grease a tray or thali.
- When ready to steam, add baking powder and whisk the batter. The more the air is incorporated in the batter, the lighter the dhokla will become .
- Pour batter in the greased tray and..
- Steam for 12- 15 minutes until the knife comes out clean.
- Allow it to cool completely.
- Carefully flip it over.
- Assemble: ingredients for tempering.
- Prepare tempering and add 2-3 tablespoon of water.
- Pour it on top of the dhokla.
- Cut into squares and..
- Serve hot with vrat ki chutney. (link mentioned above in the main post). For Navratri meal planner please visit the links above.
- Pour in a microwave baking cup.
- Cook for 30-40 seconds.
- Light and airy microwave dhokla.
- Allow it to cool for few seconds and invert it over.
- Prepare tempering as explained above.
- Pour over dhokla and enjoy!
- For a big batch microwave dhokla for 1 minute or until the toothpick comes out clean.
- Cut into squares, pour tempering and enjoy with vrat ki chutney.