A quick and delicious Sabudana khichdi or tapioca pearl salad cooked with potatoes, peanuts, and basic spices creates the most comforting meal out there. A gluten-free & vegan Indian snack.
Presenting a delicious yet straightforward sabudana khichdi or spicy tapioca salad recipe that you and your family can enjoy any time of the day. A most popular Maharashtrian breakfast recipe where soaked sago pearls or tapioca is sauteed with bite-size potatoes, peanuts, and mild spices.
This gluten-free and vegan recipe is my ultimate comfort food. Each bite of this sabudana khichdi will make your palate go craving for more.
So let’s have a lip-smacking, healthy snack today. Trust me; you will keep asking for more!
DID YOU KNOW?
But did you know sabudana/tapioca pearls are
- light on the stomach
- easy to digest
- build strong bones (it has calcium) and
- provides energy.
Besides this, tapioca in it’s powdered, or granule form is used as a thickening agent in both savory and sweet dishes.
How to make nonsticky Sabudana Khichdi?
Do you end up getting soft and sticky pearls all the time? No worries, follow this fail-proof recipe on how to soak sabudana for khichdi or make perfect tapioca pearls for your sabudana khichdi. (click the pic below)
Preparing sabudana khichdi/tapioca pearl salad requires some pre-planning. Sabudana pearls need some soaking time before we advance with the recipe. But the common question asked is – how to make perfect sabudana pearls?
The ratio of water to Sago Pearls!
The best ratio for perfect sabudana pearls is – 1 cup water: 1 cup sabudana. Soak for 4-5 hours, drain and there you have it. Remember excess water will result in a gooey mess which cannot be reversed.
When soaked sago pearls are ready, set them aside and proceed with the next step – sauteing and assembling.
NOT EXACTLY A FASTING INGREDIENT – CAN BE ENJOYED AS A SNACK TOO!
You can’t go wrong with this recipe – it’s amazingly versatile and adaptable. If not fasting, feel free to experiment.
Add onions, bright veggies like carrots, peas, bell pepper and make it healthier and colorful.
But again, if you are fasting feel free to leave out the ingredients you don’t consume. My rule of thumb – when in doubt leave that ingredient out. 🙂
So, what are we waiting for, follow the step by step recipe below to a healthier, nuttier and delicious Sabudana khichdi or spicy tapioca salad recipe?
Enjoy it at any time of the day – whether as a breakfast or an evening tea snack.
Other vrat recipes –
- Sabudana Ladoo,
- Vrat Rajgiria Puri,
- Sabudana Uttapam,
- Kuttu and Singhare ke atte ki Roti,
- Sabudana Vrat Dosa,
- Sama ki Tikki ,
- Sabudana Vada and
Let me know in the comments if you try this recipe. If you have any questions, I would be happy to answer them. Would love to hear from you. 🙂
Are we friend's yet? For recipe ideas, do follow @ruchiskitchen on -
For recipe ideas, do follow @ruchiskitchen on -
Don’t forget to ⭐ rate the recipe and leave me a comment below!
- 1 cup Soaked Sabudana/Sago (Tapioca)
- 1 large Potato
- 1 teaspoon Chopped green Chillies (optional)
- 1 tablespoon Peanuts
- 1/2 teaspoon Roasted cumin seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon Dried mint leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon Haldi (Turmeric powder) (omit if you don't eat haldi in vrat)
- 1/2 teaspoon Crushed red chili flakes
- 8 leaves of of Curry leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon Mustard seeds (omit if you don't eat in vrat)
- Salt to taste (use Sendha namak- Himalayan salt if fasting)
- 1 Tablespoon Oil
- Assemble all the ingredients. (Follow the link above on how to make perfect sabudana pearls)
- Peel potato and dice it into bite-size pieces.
- Heat oil in a pan, add potatoes saute for a minute. Now add peanuts and saute till peanuts are toasty and potatoes are slightly golden brown. TIP - peanuts can be dry toasted too. Move them to the side of the pan, add mustard seeds and curry leaves.
- As mustard seeds start to crackle mix everything together and stir in the spices.
- Mix in all the spices...
- Stir in soaked sabudana and mix until blended.
- Sabudana khichdi is ready.
- Enjoy with a cup of hot tea.
- Can be made ahead of time and easily be reheated to enjoy anytime.