Quick and easy Sabudana Vrat Dosa is a gluten-free dosa/crepe prepared with tapioca pearls. This super crispy and healthy dosa requires no fermentation and comes together in a jiffy!
Are you bored of regular dosa and looking for a healthy alternative? Then look no more. Sabudana Vrat Dosa or vrat ka cheela is the perfect recipe for you.
This instant dosa is grain-free and ideal for any fast/vrat.
Fasting doesn’t mean that you have to refrain from your favorite foods. This Navratri, try these delicious and healthy dosa/crepes made with tapioca pearls, barnyard millets, and gluten-free flour.
An excellent meal to kick-start the festive/fasting season.
A TIP ABOUT SABUDANA/SAGO PEARLS!
Are you tired of getting sticky sago pearls every time you soak them? No worries follow this link on how to make perfect sabudana pearls.
Once the fasting season starts, soak tapioca in bulk. Drain and air-dry the pearls for 2-3 hours. Wrap in paper towel and store in the refrigerator.
If you are fasting for full seven days, you have one less thing to worry about. Remove from refrigerator and use as mentioned in the recipe. Store the remaining back in the fridge.
Works wonders for me. I don’t have to wait 3-4 hours to try on my favorite sabudana recipes.
NOW ONTO THE RECIPE!
Sabudana or sago pearls is a versatile ingredient. It’s grain-free, gluten-free characteristics are what makes it an ideal vrat food.
For this recipe, soaked sago pearls are combined with kuttu flour, soaked sama rice and spices to create the d-licious recipe. You will love this recipe because it’s –
- requires no fermentation
- a straightforward recipe
- healthy and filing
- so tasty and addictive.
Combine soaked sabudana with other listed ingredients to form a thick batter. Spread dosas on a hot skillet and cook until crispy. Place the potato stuffing in the center and carefully fold the dosa. Serve hot with vrat ki green chutney.
If you do not consume a particular veggie or spice during Navratri, feel free to leave that out and follow your family vrat guidelines.
Do give these yummy dosas a try and if you happen to make these dosas, then share your comments below!
CAN’T MAKE IT NOW, PIN IT FOR LATER?
Did you make this recipe?
Tag @Ruchiskitchen on
Facebook | Instagram | Pinterest | Twitter
With your pictures, I would love to see your yummy creations!
Sabudana Vrat Dosa
- 1/2 cup Soaked Sabudana/Sago
- 1 cup Sama Rice ( Barnyard millet)
- 1.5 tablespoon Kuttu Flour (or use any vrat flour)
- 1/4 cup Curd/buttermilk
- Salt to taste (Vrat salt - Sendha namak)
- 2 tablespoon Oil (to cook dosas)
FOR POTATO FILLING
- 3 medium Boiled and cubed Potatoes
- 10-12 pieces of Curry leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon Each of Mustard seeds (omit if you do not eat in vrat)
- 1/4 teaspoon Haldi (omit if you do not eat in vrat)
- 1/4 teaspoon Red chili powder
- 1 tablespoon Oil
- Salt to taste (Vrat salt - Sendha namak)
- Soak Sabudana for 3-4 hours. Link on how to make perfect sabudana pearls is shared above in ingredients.
- Soaked sama rice. Soak sama rice in hot water for 3-4 hours. Drain and set aside.
- After the desired time, drain water from soaked sabudana pearls and sama rcie.
- Transfer sama rice + sabudana to a mixer and add curd. Grind it to a fine paste.
- Transfer this batter to a bowl.
- Stir in kuttu flour, salt, and red chili powder.
- To begin with, add 1/4 cup of water to dilute the batter. Whisk it well. There should be no lumps in the batter and it should be of a thick dropping consistency.
POTATO FILLING PREPARATION
- Prepare the filling mixture. Boil, peel and chop potatoes.
- Heat oil in a pan. Add curry leaves, mustard seeds and when they start to crackle add all the dry spices and add Vrat salt - Sendha namak.
- Stir in potatoes and mix.
- Allow the mix to cool completely.
- Heat and grease a griddle.
- Pour 1/4 cup batter on the hot griddle.
- Using a ladle spread dosa evenly on the hot tawa. Drop 1-2 drops of oil around the cooking dosa. Cover and cook on low flame.
- Place a teaspoon of potato filling in the center. Unlike other dosas, this batter makes a sticky dosa because of sabudana starch.
- And carefully roll it around the edges.
- Fold the other side and PRESS GENTLY so that they stick. Flip it over.
- Serve immediately and enjoy it hot with vrat ki chutney.