Tasty and delicious Ram Ladoo recipe or Lentil fritters is an all time favorite tea time snack. This insanely crispy and crunchy moong dal fritters hails from the streets of Delhi and is a mouthwatering savory snack!
Hello, Delhi bellies…. here comes the favorite street food of Delhi- Ram Ladoo recipe or Gul-gulle. Just like Chole Bhature, and Matar Kulcha, this is another yummy delicacy from Delhi. If you are from Delhi, you can’t miss on this one.
Outside every shopping mall or a famous shopping place like Lajpat Nagar, Chandi Chowk, vendors set up their mobile stalls and sell these tempting ladoos dipped in chutneys and topped with shredded radish.
Yummy and spicy-food lover’s delight!
Ladoos, on their own, are not spicy. Spicy flavor comes from the chutneys and spices that top these Ram ladoos.
These ladoos takes on the flavor of shredded radish, chutneys and this is what makes this dish a yummy and lip-smacking chaat.
Crispy and crunchy fritters are a pure bliss on a rainy day! They taste –
- super yum
- comforting and
- is just perfect for the weather.
And not to mention, they are gluten-free and vegan too!
Now, onto the recipe!
Nothing complicated, a very simple and straightforward recipe. Soak dals (lentils) for 3-4 hours and after the soaking time ground them to a fine paste.
Do not add water while grounding the lentils. This will make the mixture runny and difficult to handle. Feel free to add or subtract ingredients to suit your taste.
Later add all the ingredients mentioned under ‘ladoo ingredients’ and fry them like round balls. Baking soda can be substituted with 1/2 teaspoon of Eno.
Traditionally Ram ladoos are more prominent in size, but I prefer bit-sized ladoos so have customized according to taste.
This is a great make-ahead recipe!
Prepare the ladoos in advance. Use an airtight container to store the ladoos.
When ready to serve, warm up in a microwave, and arrange on a plate.
Garnish with shredded radish, chutney and serve hot.
Give this recipe a try and if you happen to make it, drop me your comments below. If you have any questions, I would be happy to answer them. Would love to hear from you. ?
Ram Ladoo recipe
PREPARING RAM LADOOS
- Soak yellow moong dal for 3-4 hours.
- Soak chana dal for 3-4 hours.
- After the soaking time, drain water from dals, wash and..
- Add it to a mixer/grinder..
- Ground it to a fine paste.
- It should be very fine and not grainy. Should feel like a dal paste.
- Assemble rest of the ingredients.
- Transfer grounded dal to a large bowl and add ingredients one by one leaving out baking soda..
- Mix everything together, and adjust seasonings. Beat batter for couple of minutes. This will aerate the batter and result in fluffy gulgulles or ladoos.
- Add baking soda and beat the batter again. The more the air is incorporated in the batter the more fluffier these ladoos will turn out to be.
- Batter should be thick. Heat oil in a kadhai.
- Heat oil in a pan. Add ladoos to the hot oil and fry until golden in color. A TIP - Oil should be sufficient hot for these ladoos. Fry ladoos until golden in color, frying them for a longer period of time in hot oil will result in harder ladoos.
- Remove from oil and set it on a paper towel to drain excess oil. Repeat the process with rest of the batter and fry ladoos until golden in color.
- If you choose to make the non fried version - heat and grease appe pan. Drop 1 tablespoon mixture in each hole..
- Cover and cook on a medium low flame.
- Turn occasionally and cook until evenly brown from both the sides.
- Wash and peel daikon radish or mooli.
- Using a grater, shred mooli into very thin, long strands.
- Assemble rest of the ingredients.
- Let's begin assembling these yummy ram ladoos. Take few ladoos in a bowl.
- Generously top them with green chutney...
- And tamarind chutney.
- Top it off with 2 tablespoon of shredded radish strands.
- Add some more green chutney on top...
- Sprinkle chaat masala..
- And Ram ladoo chaat is ready..
- Serve and adjust chutneys as per taste.
- You can finish it off by adding some chopped green chilies and lemon juice.