Moon shaped pies or Vrat Ki Dahi Gujiya stuffed with dry nuts is perfect for fasting or as an evening snack. This gluten-free savory snack is bursting with flavor and spice!
The first time I tried a version of lentil Dahi gujiya was at a friends house, years ago. It only took a couple of bites for me to fall in love with this yummy dish. The crispy exterior, soft and chewy interior, and the filling was so delicious and tasty that it left me wanting more. That moment I decided that I need to try these at home. Vrat Ki Dahi Gujiya
Instead of making the traditional dahi gujiya, I tried the fasting/vrat version. Where the lentils are substituted with Sama rice – that’s gluten-free and made with all the vrat norms.
Did you know?
Dahi gujiya is a traditional dish eaten in Holi. These crispy gujiyas made out of lentils are stuffed with a nutty filling and topped with sweet and spicy chutneys. In short, a perfect balance of sweet and heat that will surely please your palate and satisfy your taste buds!
Dry mawa gujiya has many names. Gujoya is referred to as Karanji (in Maharashtra), ghughra (in Gujarat), Nevri ( in Goa) and purukiya (in Bihar). Whatever the name be, they all taste equally delicious and yum!
Without further ado, let’s proceed to the recipe. 🙂
How to make Vrat ki Dahi Gyjiya?
Nothing too fancy, but a simple and straightforward recipe.
- Cook sama rice until soft and tender.
- Combine with rest of the ingredients to form a soft dough.
- Shape like gujiya and fry them.
- Top these gujiyas with seasoned curd and vrat ki chutney.
- Serve immediately and enjoy!
- For non-fried method – shape these gujiyas like balls and cook in an appe pan on low heat until crisp and golden.
- Sama rice can be substituted with sago pearls /sabudana. Adjust the quantity of flour to form a soft, non-sticky dough.
- Season with whatever spices you consume during the fasting period.
- If you consume tamarind chutney in fast/vrat then top these Vrat Ki Dahi Gujiya with that.
DISCLAIMER – If you do not consume a particular veggie or spice during Navratri , feel free to leave that out and follow your family vrat guidelines.
I encourage you to give this recipe a try and share your feedback! If you have questions related to this recipe, send me an email, and I would be happy to answer them. We’d love to hear from you. 🙂
Craving for more, try these other options!
Thanks for reading.💕
Are we friend's yet? For new updates and recipes, follow @ruchiskitchen on -
For new updates and recipes, follow @ruchiskitchen on -
Don’t forget to ⭐ rate the recipe and leave me a comment below 👇
Vrat ki Dahi Gujiya
- 1 cup Barnyard millet (sama rice)
- 2 cup Water
- 1/2 cup Arrowroot flour or Any vrat flour (add a teaspoon more if needed)
- Salt to taste (use Sendha namak- Himalayan salt if fasting)
- 1 teaspoon Red chili powder
- 1/2 cup Shredded Coconut
- Handful of Sliced almonds
- 3 tablespoon Raisins
- 1 cup Beaten Curd (yogurt)
- 3/4 cup Vrat ki Green chuteny
- Measure Sama rice.
- Wash and add sama rice to a pressure cooker.
- Cook for 3 whistles. Drain any excess water.
- Transfer rice to a bowl. Mix in with all the other ingredients listed under 'For Gujiya'.
- Make a soft dough. Dough should not feel sticky at all. If it feels sticky add an extra teaspoon of flour and form a smooth dough. Cover and set it aside.
- In a bowl combine all the ingredients listed under 'For filling'. Mix it well.
- Meanwhile, flatten the gujiya dough. Place a teaspoon of filing in the center and....
- Now fold over the other end and seal gujiya from all the sides. Repeat process with remaining dough and form gujiyas.
- FOR NON-FRIED VERSION - Form small balls out of the dough. Fill them just like gujiya and secure the edges.
- Heat appe pan. Place round balls in each mold .
- Cook until crispy and light brown in color.
- For gujiyas - fry them. I tried baking them but the end result was not good.
- Our gujiya and gujiya balls are ready for next step.
- Beat curd and season with salt and red chili powder.
- Vrat ki chutney. Link for this recipe is provided in the ingredient section.
- Arrange gujiya on a plate.
- Generously drizzle curd on top.
- Pour green chutney and enjoy. Repeat the same with round gujiyas.
- Enjoy immediately.