A healthy, gluten-free and vegan pulao made with barnyard millet. It’s a perfect fasting recipe that’s super easy to make and comes together in minutes! Vrat Rice Pulao, Sama chawal Pulao
If you are bored of eating the regular fasting dishes and want to try a healthy alternative, then this Vrat Rice Pulao, Sama chawal Pulao is excellent to start with. This one-pot meal is made with baryand millets and is a nutritious and filling meal.
The main ingredient for this recipe is Sama rice. In regional languages, it is also referred to as – samai seeds, mario Mario, moraiayo, Bhagar, small millets or Kuthiraivali.
Sama rice, when combined with veggies, create a delicious meal that will completely satisfy your hunger pangs.
Have you checked out other vrat recipes-
- Kuttu and Singhare ke atte ki Roti
- sabudana chutney balls,
- vrat ka dhokla,
- falahari paneer makhane gulgulle
- vrat ki dahi gujiya,
- Sabudana Uttapam,
- Sabudana Khichdi,
- Sabudana Vrat Dosa,
- Sama ki Tikki and many more.
So don’t forget to check out the blog for new vrat recipes!
Now onto the recipe!
Sama (swang) rice or vrat ke chawal (barnyard millet) is commonly used during fasting days. It is a gluten-free grain which behaves like rice and is a perfect fasting ingredient.
To keep it simple, I have used potato, peanuts, and cashews as my main ingredients. However, this recipe can be customized to your liking.
Add veggies/spices that you consume during fasting, to make this pulao more delicious and flavorful.
Besides cooking the traditional way, sama rice can be cooked in the microwave.
In a bowl add sama rice along with 1 cup of water. Microwave it on HIGH POWER for 4 minutes. STOP and MIX. Vrat Rice Pulao, Sama chawal Pulao
If the water is all dried up; add 1/4 cup of water and return it to the microwave and cook for another 4 minutes. Rice should be done by now.
If the seeds are still not soft, micro it for another minute. Use as directed.
If you do not consume a particular veggie or spice during fasting period, feel free to leave that out and follow your family vrat guidelines.
If you happen to make this recipe, then drop me a line below, would love to hear from you!
CAN’T MAKE IT NOW, PIN IT FOR LATER?
Did you make this recipe?
Tag @Ruchiskitchen on
Facebook | Instagram | Pinterest | Twitter
With your pictures, I would love to see your yummy creations!
Vrat Rice Pulao, Sama chawal Pulao
- 3/4 cup Sama Rice
- 1-1/2 cup Water OR buttermilk (non-vegan option)
- 1 small Potato, chopped
- 1 small Chopped green chili
- 1/2 teaspoon Red Chili Flakes
- 1 teaspoon Dried mint leaves, crushed
- 5-6 pieces of Cashews
- 1.5 tablespoon Peanuts (optional)
- Salt to Taste (Sendha Namak)
- 1.5 tablespoon Oil/Ghee
- Measure sama rice and set it aside.
- Heat oil in a pan and fry Cashews until light brown in color. Remove and set them aside.
- To the same pan add chopped potatoes and cook until brown and crisp.
- Add fried peanuts.
- Add sama rice and water/buttermilk.
- Add spices and mix.
- Bring it a boil. When water is reduced to half, lower the flame...
- Cover and let it cook in steam for 2-3 minutes. Take it off the flame and let it sit covered for another 2 minutes. Sama rice is ready. Fluff it with a fork, add cashews and serve hot.
- Enjoy your meal with vrat chutney and homemade curd.
- If you prefer veggies during fasting period then
- Load it up with colorful seasonal veggies and enjoy!