Looking for a quick-n-easy flavorful meal tonight? How about a Spicy Millet Salad Bowl that is loaded with flavor and bursting with nutrients – a complete meal in itself !!
Take a break from the usual fasting recipes and dive your forks into this spicy millet salad bowl that is super nutritious and satisfying!! Wondering what’s so good about this bowl? It’s a healthy, gluten-free bowl packed with whole grains, protein and veggies.
Since it’s a Navratri recipe, I have created a marvelous mix of all the ingredients that I normally eat on a fasting day. My Buddha bowl is packed with boiled and seasoned barnyard millets, chopped avocadoes, chopped cucumber, tapioca – potato falafels, grilled paneer (Indian cottage cheese), pomegranate and topped with a spicy green chutney (dressing).
There are no set rules on how to make a Buddha Bowl. It’s simple – toss in your favorite grains (millet, quinoa) + protein (paneer or tofu) + veggies or fruits of your choice and there you have it – a fiber rich power bowl. Best part of this recipe – tailor it to suit your taste buds. If not fasting, than the possibilities are endless! Below are some of the ideas –
Grains – rice, brown rice, couscous.
Protein – tofu, beans and lentils.
Any veggies or fruits.
Are we friend's yet? Let's connect on -
Don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave me a comment below!
Spicy Millet Salad Bowl
INFREDIENTS FOR SAMA RICE
- 1 cup Sama Rice
- 1 1/4 cup Water
- Salt to taste
INGREDIENTS FOR TAPIOCA - POTATO FALAFELS/BALLS
- 1 cup Soaked Sabudana/Sago
- 2-3 teaspoon Kuttu Flour (buckwheat flour)
- 1/2 tablespoon Chopped cilantro leaves
- 2 medium sized Boiled and Peeled potatoes
- 2 tablespoon Peanut powder (optional)
- 1 teaspoon Amchur Powder (Mango Powder) (omit if you don't eat in vrat)
- 1/2 teaspoon Red chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Haldi (Turmeric powder)
- Salt to taste (Vrat salt - Saindha namak)
- Oil for cooking the falafel/balls
REST OF THE INGREDIENTS
- 1 medium size Avocado, peeled and chopped
- 1 small Cucumber, chopped
- 3/4 cup Grilled Paneer or tofu
- 2-3 tablespoon Pomegranate seeds
- 1 cup Vrat ki Green chuteny (dressing)
MAKING OF SAMA RICE (BARNYARD MILLET)
- Measure Sama rice (millet).
- Combine water and sama rice (millet) in a pan. Bring it to a boil.
- Cover and let it simmer on low heat for 12- 15 minutes.
- Cooked millet will look like this. Once cooled fluff with a fork. Set it aside.
MAKING OF SABUDANA (TAPIOCA) BALLS
- Assemble all the ingredients. Feel free to leave out the spices you prefer not to eat during fast.
- In a bowl add mash boiled potatoes and all the ingredients one by one.
- Mixture should feel moist.
- Shape them like small balls.
- You can either deep fry them or cook the balls in appe pan (Ebleskiver Cast Aluminum Pan). Once golden brown in color, set it aside.
- Moving on to paneer. Cut paneer/tofu in cubes.
- Grease a griddle with oil and cook paneer /tofu cubes until light brown in color. Set it aside.
- Assemble rest of the ingredients - boiled sama rice (millet), sabudana (tapioca) balls, chopped cucumber, chopped avocados, pomegranate, crispy pan grilled paneer ( or tofu).
- Add everything to a bowl, drizzle vrat green chutney or dressing of your choice.
- Enjoy with a cup of hot tea.