Looking for Navratri or fasting recipe. Here is a tasty and crispy Sawa ke chawal ki tikki and vada. Sama ke chawal combined with boiled potatoes to form this falahari crispy fritters.
About Sama Rice
These small grainy sama/sawa rice are pressure cooked till they are soft and gooey. Sama rice can also be cooked in the microwave. To microwave – in a bowl add sama rice along with 1 cup of water.
Microwave it on HIGH POWER for 4 minutes. STOP and MIX. If the water is all dried up; add 1/4 cup of water and return it to the microwave and cook for another 4 minutes. The rice should be all cooked and all the water must have dried up by now. If not micro it for another 1 minute.
Before adding sama rice to potatoes make sure RICE HAS NO MOISTURE LEFT. Transfer cooked rice onto a plate and allow it to cool down completely.
Boil and mash potatoes and mix it along with other spices and add cooked sama rice to it to form a thick dough. Other options- arbi can also be used along with potatoes- 1 arbi and 1 potato. Adding arbi will make it crispy and hearty. These were quick and easy to assemble.
I experimented and created different version of this recipe. Using the same recipe I made Sama/sawa ke chawal vada and Sama/sawa rice fritters. Good basic recipe! To the tikki rounds that I made; I added a pit/ a hole in the center making it look like a vada and deep fried it.
Dip Sawa ke chawal ki tikki and vada in hot water until soft. Meanwhile beat curd, add salt and red chili powder to it. Later squeeze out all the water from the vadas and add these soaked vadas to the beaten curd. Top with Vrat ki Green chutney and enjoy. It was awesome and flavorful!
My own personal preference would be to shape them as FRITTERS. Using the same recipe roll them into cylindrical shaped fritters and deep fry them. In this form it came out nice and fluffy. No one will be able to keep their hands off these miniature crispy fritters. Enjoy delicious, quick and an easy Sawa ke chawal ki tikki and vada during fasting days.
DISCLAIMER – If you do not consume a particular veggie or spice during Navratri , feel free to leave that out and follow your family vrat guidelines.
Sawa ke chawal ki tikki and vada
BOILING SAMA KE CHAWAL
- 1/2 cup Sawa Rice
- 1-1/4 cup Water
- Measure Sawa rice.
- In a pressure cooker; add sawa rice...
- And water. Close the lid and pressure cook for 4-5 whistles. Simultaneously boil the potatoes either in the microwave or in another pressure cooker. Same way sawa rice can be boiled in the microwave (explained above).
- This is how it will look like all cooked and water all soaked up.
- Transfer it to a plate and allow them to cool down completely. They should not have any water left in them or else it will make the tikki dough too sticky and difficult to work with.
- Assemble: rest of the ingredients. Boil potatoes and peel them.
- In a large bowl mash potatoes and add all the ingredients on by one.
- Mix till well blended with all the masalas.
- Add in cooled sawa rice..
- And mix it well.
- Shape them in the form of tikki. If it feels sticky apply a drop of oil in your palms and shape them.
- You could even shape them as vadas. Make a pit/hole in the center of the tikki..
- And there you have it perfectly shaped vada. Or you can even shape them cylindrical as fritters (as shown above).
- Heat oil in a kadhai and when the oil is hot, lower the flame.
- Fry these tikkis till they are golden brown in color.
- Take them out and rest them on a paper towel to get rid of all the excess oil.
- If shaping them as vadas - enjoy them as Dahi vadas. Dip these fried vadas in hot water till they are soft. Squeeze out the excess water and dip them in well beaten curd that is flavored with salt and red chili powder. Drizzle some green chutney and enjoy.
- If shaped as fritters - nothing much is left to do - just dip and eat.
- Enjoy these crispy sawa rice tikkis with vrat ki chutney.