Why settle for a store-bought salsa when you can make your own Zesty Black Eyed Pea and Corn Salsa Recipe at home? This spicy and tangy salsa is a breeze to make and is bursting with fresh, vibrant flavors. A hearty and wholesome salsa that is perfect for party snacking. Bring out a bag of your favorite tortilla chips and watch it disappear.
Are you running out of appetizer ideas for your next party? Don’t worry, we have got you covered. Black-eyed pea and corn salsa is a quick and easy recipe that has lately been my favorite go-to potluck recipe. It takes under 30 minutes to prepare and is super yum!
It’s a protein-rich appetizer that is packed with essential nutrients and bold flavors like crunchy corn, red bell peppers, avocado, and a zesty dressing. Very satisfying, refreshing, healthy, and perfect as a salad, or an appetizer.
Ingredients required to make a Zesty Black Eyed Pea and Corn Salsa Recipe!
- Black Eyed Peas: have numerous health benefits and are considered nourishing because it contains almost all the essential vitamins and minerals including vitamin A, B1, B2, B3, B5, B6, C.
- Corn Kernels: it lends a beautiful color and some nutrients like vitamin B, C, and magnesium to this salsa.
- Tomato: delivers vitamin C, potassium, folate, and vitamin K.
- Red Bell Pepper: They add a sweet flavor and bright color to this salsa and are packed with antioxidants.
- Onions: for flavor and extra crunch.
- Cilantro: adds a distinctive flavor and color to this salad.
- Avocados: This meaty fruit is packed with essential vitamins, nutrients, potassium, and fiber.
- Dressing: made with regular spices and lemon juice.
How to make this Zesty Black Eyed Pea and Corn Salsa Recipe?
1. In a medium serving bowl, combine all of the salsa ingredients: boiled black-eyed peas, corn kernels, bell pepper, onions, tomato, cilantro, and avocado
2. Toss to combine. Cover and chill the salsa in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, in a separate bowl, whisk together all the dressing ingredients.
4. Adjust to taste. For more zing, add an extra teaspoon of lemon juice to the dressing. Feel free to play around with the ingredients until the flavors really pop.
5. Take the chilled salsa out from the refrigerator and pour the dressing over salsa. For best flavor, allow the salsa to marinate in the dressing for a while before serving. This will enhance the flavors.
6. Toss to coat evenly.
7. Bring out your favorite gluten-free chips/tortillas and enjoy all day long. A perfect barbecue, picnic, or potluck recipe!
Faq’s related to this recipe!
This is one of those recipes that come in really handy when you are on a time crunch. And there are many different ways to improvise this recipe, to create a hearty salsa and here’s how?
- Like it vegan – substitute honey with brown sugar.
- Don’t have a liking for vinegar, add more lime juice.
- For extra spice, add some jalapeño.
- Not a fan of black-eyed peas, swap with black beans, and it will be named as black bean salsa.
- It makes excellent leftovers for the next day and leftovers keep well for 3 to 4 days in the refrigerator.
- For a quick fix, use frozen black-eyed peas instead of freshly cooked peas.
- The same way fresh off the cob corn kernels would be an excellent substitute to canned or frozen corn, thawed and well-drained.
How to serve this salsa?
- Enjoy as a salad. For that: toss chopped spinach and boiled quinoa to a bowl. Mix in salsa and enjoy.
- As a casserole: mix in brown rice and grilled veggies to the salsa and create a dish.
- My favorite – top iceberg lettuce leaves with zesty black-eyed pea and corn salsa recipe and serve as lettuce rolls. Believe me; you will be hooked.
- Or as is. With tortills chips.
A great make-ahead recipe, very comforting and addicting! So, what are we waiting for, let’s start with our recipe.
Craving for more, try these other options!
Zesty Black Eyed Pea and Corn Salsa Recipe
- 2 cups Black-eyed peas boiled (lobia)
- 1½ cups Corn kernels drained and washed
- 2 small Tomatoes diced
- 1 small Red bell pepper chopped
- 1 small Onion chopped
- 3 tablespoons Fresh Cilantro leaves chopped
- 1 medium Avocado peeled, pitted and cut into cubes
- ¼ cup Olive oil
- 1½ teaspoons Honey or Brown sugar for the vegan option
- 2 teaspoons Garlic Salt or freshly crushed garlic
- 2 teaspoons Cumin seeds crushed
- 1 teaspoon Chili flakes (adjust to taste)
- 2 tablespoon Fresh Lemon juice
- ½ tablespoon Vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Coarsely crushed black peppercorns (adjust to taste)
- Salt to taste
- In a medium serving bowl, combine all of the salsa ingredients.
- Toss to combine. Cover and chill the salsa in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a separate bowl, whisk together all the dressing ingredients.
- Adjust to taste. For more zing, add an extra teaspoon of lemon juice to the dressing. Feel free to play around with the ingredients until the flavors really pop.
- Take the chilled salsa out from the refrigerator and pour the dressing over salsa. For best flavor, allow the salsa to marinate in the dressing for a while before serving. This will enhance the flavors.
- Toss to coat evenly.
- Bring out your favorite gluten-free chips/tortillas and enjoy.