Lunch made easy with healthy and hearty Vegan BBQ Tofu Sandwich. These sandwiches are packed with tofu, onion, tomatoes, and lettuce. A protein and fiber rich meal!
As we step into 2018, many of us are looking for some clean eating recipes. Clean eating doesn’t have to be complicated or referred to as dieting. Clean eating means ‘watch what you eat’ – simple, healthy meals. And today’s recipe Vegan BBQ Tofu Sandwich is all about fresh food and clean eating.
This quick and simple sandwich recipe is for those moments when you don’t feel like cooking. It comes together with very little prep- up, is fail-proof and requires very less attention. You will be in and out of the kitchen is less than 30 minutes.
Pair your favorite soup with this Vegan BBQ Tofu Sandwich and, it makes a perfect lazy weekend lunch or brunch!
Have you tried Tofu?
If not, you are missing something! Protein-rich tofu is pretty much similar to Paneer (non-vegan, Indian cottage cheese). I use them (tofu and paneer) interchangeably in my recipes.
What I like about tofu is that it
- is low in calorie count
- has no substantial flavor of its own
- pairs incredibly with other ingredients and adopts the flavor of whatever it is cooked with
- and is a great ingredient to experiment.
Its muted flavor is what makes it a versatile ingredient and can be used in a variety of recipes.
Now onto the recipe!
The base for today’s sandwich recipe is pan-cooked tofu. Because of its soft texture; I prefer my tofu to be pan-cooked. It becomes sticky with sauce and is difficult to handle tofu on a grill.
We start the recipe by marinating tofu for 10 minutes. After 10 minutes, pan-cook tofu until the bbq sauce thickens and the flavor deepens. While tofu is being pan-cooked, assemble rest of the ingredients.
Cut thick, juicy slices of tomatoes for these sandwiches. Like crunch in your sandwiches, then use fresh lettuce leaves.
Use a nice hearty bread. I have used whole grain wheat bread. It crisps up nicely when toasted.
Time to assemble our sandwich.
Lightly toast your bread slices, smother it with homemade mayo, pile with lettuce, onion slices, tomatoes, sprouts and bbq tofu. Do not forget to apply mayo to the top bread slice. Homemade vegan mayo adds a wonderful flavor.
- Like it spicy – add some sriracha sauce, spicy mustard or chipotle dressing
- Instead of lettuce – use fresh spinach leaves, Kale, and other greens
- Instead of homemade vegan mayo – use regular mayo or ranch dressing
- Don’t have sprouts – top with avocado or feta cheese (non-vegan)
- Substitute tofu for any other form of protein. Or just add grilled veggies.
- Instead of bread – try a burger bun or a sesame bun.
This sandwich is great for a quick snack and is also great for lunch, dinner or brunch. Do give it a try. Who knows this might just be your new go-to recipe. 🙂 🙂
If you happen to make it, please comment below and leave your feedback. You can also find me on social media. Be sure to tag @ruchiskitchen (one word) or #ruchiskitchen. I would love to see your creation!
LOOKING FOR MORE RECIPES, FIND ME ON PINTEREST !
CAN’T MAKE IT NOW, PIN IT FOR LATER ON YOUR BOARD.
ALSO FOLLOW ME ON:
Are we friend's yet? For recipe ideas, do follow @ruchiskitchen on -
For recipe ideas, do follow @ruchiskitchen on -
Don’t forget to ⭐ rate the recipe and leave me a comment below!
Vegan BBQ Tofu Sandwich
- 1 block (12 oz ) Extra firm tofu (340 grams)
- 1 cup Vegan Barbecue sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon Paprika or Red chili flakes
- 2 teaspoon Soy sauce (light)
- 6 slices of Whole grain wheat bread or bread of your choice
- 3/4 cup Homemade Vegan Mayonnaise
- 1 large Tomato, sliced
- 1 large Onion, sliced
- Handful of big Fresh Lettuce leaves
- Handful of homemade Fresh sprouts
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon Olive oil
- Unpack Tofu. Squeeze hard to drain water. Pat it dry.
- Slice into pieces. Sliced tofu ready for marinade.
- In a large bowl, assemble all the ingredients listed under 'FOR TOFU'. Whisk to combine. Add tofu and coat it well. Let it rest for 10 minutes.
- Heat and grease a heavy bottomed pan. Add tofu and cook until the bbq sauce thickens and the flavor deepens. Keep turning at intervals.
- When done remove from heat and assemble rest of the ingredients. Try to cut onion and tomato nice and thick.
- Toast the bread.
- Generously apply mayo on both the slices.
- Top with lots of crispy fresh lettuce.
- Add tofu slices.
- Top with onion and tomato slices.
- Add sprouts and.
- Finally add the top layer.
- Pack it up for a picnic or potluck.
- Sit in the sunshine, and enjoy your yummy make!!