Love homemade sprouts? Give this wholesome healthy sprout salad a try that is packed with all kinds of goodness, tons of flavor, and great texture.
This simple yet and filling healthy sprout salad (green gram) is super easy to make, full of nutrition, and loaded with veggies.
Summer is at its peak here, and all I am craving for is no-cook salads. Salads that come together in a jiffy and are non-greasy.
And when I think of no-cook summer salad, I think of this colorful, light, and refreshing healthy sprout salad.
This moong dal sprouts salad comes together exceptionally fast using a handful of ingredients and is very versatile.
You can pretty much incorporate all the summer veggies you love in this recipe. Moong dal sprouts salad
So if you are craving for a light lunch, that is protein-rich, vegan, and gluten-free then this sprouted moong salad will leave you satisfied and full.
What grains and nuts are best to sprout?
Sprouting grains, beans, and nuts have been a common practice in Eastern countries for many years.
Studies have found that sprouting (germinating a seed) increases the availability of nutrients in grains, beans, and nuts. You can sprout every lentil and every grain. Like:
Some of the grains, nuts, and seeds that I have sprouted are:
NUTS: I have worked with only Almonds, and they grow well. Soak for 1.5 days and sprouts in 3 days.
BEANS: I have tried a few and below are the soaking and sprouting times
- Chickpeas: soak for a day and sprouts in 2-3 days.
- Mung Beans: full two days of soaking and sprouts in 3-4 days.
- White Beans: soak for 8 hours and sprouts in 2 days.
- Black chickpeas: soak for 8 hours and sprouts in 2 days.
SEEDS: I have sprouted only Alfalfa seeds. Soak for 12 hours and sprouts in 3-4 days. Moong dal sprouts salad
GRAINS: Experimented with Quinoa and it sprouted well. Soak for 5 hours and sprouts in 2 days.
You can substitute mung beans for any of the above.
Note: germination of a seed depends on weather conditions. The hotter the weather, the fast the seed/grain/nut/bean will germinate. Looking for sprouting kit, try this one. It’s really good!
Are sprouts good for health?
Absolutely! how to make moong dal sprouts salad
- Sprouting aids digestion. For some people, it is tough to digest grains, legumes, and seeds because they are hard on their stomach.
- The simple process of sprouting unlocks the essential enzymes in germinated seeds, beans, and grains, making them easier to digest.
- Sprouted seeds are a great source of fiber and are loaded with antioxidants. In reality, a sprouted seed has far more vitamins and nutrients than the dry grain.
- Sprouting is a great way to release all the vital nutrients stored in the dry grains/beans. healthy sprout salad
- After soaking the sprouted beans, seeds and grains become low in calories, high in fiber and vitamins. They are also a great source of magnesium, riboflavin, vitamins C, and K.
- Sprouted seeds are a great way of incorporating proteins and other healthy nutrients in your diet.
What makes up this Healthy Sprout Salad?
This hearty mix is a powerhouse salad full of wholesome ingredients:
- Potatoes: a good source of fiber and potassium.
- Tomatoes: delivers vitamin C, potassium, folate, and vitamin K.
- Onions: adds an extra crunch and punch of flavor.
- Refreshing cucumber: a low-calorie food rich in fiber, vitamin C, K, potassium, and magnesium.
- Cilantro leaves: adds a distinctive flavor and color to this salad.
- Lemon Juice: a squeeze of lemon gives it a zesty kick!
- Aromatic spices
When combined in a bowl, these ingredients create a beautiful dish!
How to make a healthy sprout salad?
Sprouted moong salad recipe is a straightforward recipe that requires simple steps: healthy sprout salad
- Chop the veggies. Choose whatever vegetables you have on hand. I have mentioned my tested and tried variations below in the post. Feel free to experiment.
- Cook the potatoes until crisp. Allow it to cool comfortably. You can choose other ways to crisp the potatoes – fry the potatoes in oil, or air-fry them or even bake them in a 375 degree F oven until crisp and golden.
- Right before you are ready to eat, toss everything together in a large bowl.
- Add the seasonings, chopped cilantro leaves, and mix.
- ENJOY this nutritious moong sprouts salad that is bursting with flavor!!
- Can be enjoyed hot or cold. Make ahead and let it chill in the refrigerator. Allow the flavors to mingle for a couple of hours. I have always felt that the flavors get better when served chilled.
- It is perfect for lunch or a light dinner, or as an accompaniment to any meal.
Can I refrigerate this Healthy Sprout Salad?
Of course, you can! healthy sprout salad
Just make sure, do not add any spices or lemon juice to the salad while storing. Simply toss the veggies with sprouts and store. This salad will store well for up to 24 hours in the refrigerator. When ready to serve, mix in the spices, lemon juice and combine it well.
Can I freeze moong dal sprouts salad?
Many people do, but personally, I like them fresh. But if you want to freeze healthy sprout salad than blanch the raw sprouts in hot water for 2-3 minutes.
Allow it to cool, store in an airtight container or plastic bag and freeze.
Fresh, colorful and easy to put together salads are my go-to recipes for summer. Something that is bursting in flavor and incorporates the fresh farm produce and sprouts salad perfectly fits the bill.
As an added bonus, this health sproyt salad is completely customizable! Some other tested and tried yum additions would be:
- Avocados healthy sprout salad
- Caramelized or Steamed carrots
- Charred Corn kernels
- Potatoes can be swapped with sweet potatoes
- Pan tossed nuts like walnuts or slivered almonds
- Sweet bell peppers
Let me know in the comments if you try this healthy sprout salad recipe. Feel free to contact me with any questions or inquiries, and I would be happy to answer them.
Craving for more, try these other options!
ORIGINALLY PUBLISHED ON JANUARY 4TH, 2014. UPDATED AND POSTED THE RECIPE AGAIN ON JUNE 6TH, 2019 WITH BETTER PICTURES AND TIPS!
Healthy Sprout Salad
- Transfer sprouts to a large mixing bowl. Follow the link in the ingredients section on how to make sprouts. 👆
- Assemble all the ingredients for the salad. In a bowl add potatoes, tomatoes, onions, and cucumber.
- Give it a good toss. Mix in cilantro, cumin powder, salt, chaat masala, and lemon juice. Mix gently, you can use forks to mix the salad. (see step by step pictures above 👆)
- Adjust your seasoning. And enjoy the salad -with every bite you will feel the flavors exploding in your mouth.
- Can't eat raw sprouts, no worries. Try steaming the sprouts. Follow the instructions below. 👇