If you are looking for a low-effort light meal, look no further than this Grilled Margherita Sandwich Recipe. This Margherita sandwich loaded with fresh mozzarella cheese, sweet Italian tomatoes, and fresh basil leaves on crusty bread is the best and easiest lunch around.
For a well-rounded meal, serve your sandwich with a side of Kung Pao Brussels sprouts.
Sandwiches are one of the most adaptable recipes that can accommodate any crowd or gathering.
Cooking lunch for two or feeding a large crowd? There’s a sandwich recipe for all occasions. Margherita Sandwich Recipe
Today, I am sharing an excellent grilled Margherita sandwich that is perfect for every occasion,
- from picnics to a potluck,
- holiday lunch, or
- dinner gatherings – it’s perfect for any time of the year!
Grilled Margherita Sandwich Recipe
This sandwich recipe is adapted from the old classic Margherita pizza, where all your favorite ingredients are stuffed in between two slices of crusty bread. Sounds yum, right?
Believe me; I can’t think of a better way to satisfy my lunchtime craving other than this grilled Margherita Sandwich.
Once you bite into the toasted, crispy bread, you’ll want to make this sandwich again and again!
So, what makes up this Margherita Sandwich Recipe
This sandwich is packed with a lot of different flavors and textures like –
- The crispy bread– I have used crusty Italian sourdough bread.
- Pull-apart gooey mozzarella cheese – use the fresh mozzarella slices.
- Soft juicy tomatoes– hmm..now we are talking real food.
- Olive oil Margherita Sandwich Recipe
- Seasonings like salt and pepper
- Garlic – makes this sandwich superbly flavorful, and
- Of course, the fresh basil leaves– for texture and freshness.
Now, what else could you possibly want in a sandwich? It’s like simplicity at it’s best!
How to make a perfect Grilled Margherita Sandwich Recipe?
Once you have all the above-listed ingredients ready, this sandwich comes together with ease!
Heat a cast-iron skillet over medium flame.
1. Slice a loaf of rustic Italian bread into thick slices. Rub the bread slices with garlic.
2. Take two slices and top one of slices with 2-3 slices of fresh mozzarella. Layer the other slice with sliced Italian tomatoes.
3. Sprinkle each with olive oil, salt, and pepper. Top with the other slice -drizzle oil on bread.
4. Place the Margherita sandwich on the heated skillet. Gently press with a lid to help melt the cheese. Margherita Sandwich Recipe
5. Cook for 3-4 minutes or until golden brown. Flip and cook the sandwich on the other side until toasty and brown.
6. Once the cheese has melted completely and started to ooze out from the sides of the bread, remove the sandwich from the skillet.
Cut in half and enjoy while warm.
Tips to make the BEST Caprese Sandwich
» You can use any bread for these sandwiches -Italian bread, French bread, Multi-grain bread, or honey wheat bread.
» Fresh ingredients are the best. Use fresh mozzarella cheese, fresh tomatoes, and fresh basil leaves to make this sandwich.
» Not a mozzarella cheese lover, feel free to exchange it out for softened cream cheese.
» Vegans can use cashew cheese as a substitute.
» Up the protein content by adding grilled tofu slices to these sandwiches.
» To amp up the fiber count, top these sandwiches with lettuce, butterhead lettuce, or arugula leaves. Margherita Sandwich Recipe
» Like it spicy, top your Margherita sandwiches with a teaspoon a red chili flakes.
» For a nice and evenly crispy sandwich, toast Margherita sandwiches on a panini press.
» Take these sandwiches to a whole new level with a drizzle of a rich and thick reduction of balsamic vinegar.
» Pair these sandwiches up with some warm soup and relax your evening away!!
It’s a perfect summertime sandwich that’s incredibly flavorful and YUM! I am sure you are going to love these delicious sandwiches.
Let me know in the comments when you make it. Feel free to contact me with any questions or inquiries, and I would be happy to answer them.
CRAVING FOR MORE, TRY THESE OTHER OPTIONS!
ORIGINALLY PUBLISHED ON JANUARY 18th, 2015. UPDATED AND POSTED THE RECIPE AGAIN ON MAY 27th, 2020 WITH BETTER PICTURES AND TIPS!
Margherita sandwich recipe
- Heat the skillet pan over medium flame.
- Slice a loaf of rustic Italian bread into thick slices. Rub the bread slices with garlic.
- Take two slices and top one of slices with 2-3 slices of fresh mozzarella. Layer the other slice with sliced Italian tomatoes.
- Sprinkle each with olive oil, salt, and pepper. Top with the other slice -drizzle oil on bread.
- Place the Margherita sandwich on the heated skillet. Gently press with a lid to help melt the cheese.
- Cook for 3-4 minutes or until golden brown. Flip and cook the sandwich on the other side until toasty and brown.
- Once the cheese has melted completely and started to ooze out from the sides of the bread, remove the sandwich from the skillet. Cut in half and enjoy while warm.