Cracked wheat pilaf or Instant Pot Vegetable Daliya makes an indulgent and yummy morning breakfast. This easy one-pot meal is vegan, healthy and keeps you full until lunch!
Can’t believe it’s September already! Time to bid bittersweet goodbyes to our kids as another school year has started and what does that mean? Back to alarm clocks, morning breakfast, school lunches, and early dinners.
Speaking of breakfast, I am always on the lookout for quick breakfasts ideas that are perfect for busy school days.
And I have the perfect recipe for you – Instant Pot Vegetable Pilaf/Daliya!
Have you tried it yet? It’s such a nutritious and delicious way to start your day!
This recipe takes 20 minutes of your time. Simply, toss cracked wheat with your favorite veggies in an Instant Pot and carry on with your morning routine. After 20 minutes, sit down to a warm, comforting and satisfying breakfast.
CONFUSED BETWEEN BULGUR WHEAT AND CRACKED WHEAT?
They both are different. Let me explain.
Bulgur wheat is pre-cooked wheat. Whole wheat grains are parboiled, toasted, dried and later pressed to attain a smaller cut. Its texture and flavor are pretty close to brown rice – earthy and nutty.
Since it is pre-cooked, therefore, it requires minimal cooking. Bulgur wheat is low in fat, high in minerals like magnesium, and iron.
Cracked wheat or daliya is made by milling whole wheat grain into smaller pieces. Its shape is similar to stone-cut-oatmeal. But it’s not pre-cooked, therefore it requires longer cooking time.
It has high fiber content, is protein-rich and loaded with essential nutrients.
BOTH HAVE SOME SIMILARITIES TOO!
Bulgur wheat and cracked wheat –
- are available in different cuts – fine, medium, coarse and whole,
- serve as a base for salads, bread, cereals, casseroles, and stuffing,
- and make an excellent nutritional alternative to rice or couscous.
They both can be used interchangeably!
How to make Instant Pot Vegetable Daliya?
It’s a straightforward recipe. A lot of ingredients that I have used, you probably have them in your pantry. This recipe has few of my favorite veggies – carrots, peas, and red bell pepper. Feel free to add extra veggies for an extra dose of nutrients.
Turn the Instant Pot on and cook veggies in ‘SAUTE’ mode until fork-tender. Add bell pepper and tomatoes just before adding cracked wheat/daliya. Add spices and pour in the water. Give it a good mix.
Seal the Instant Pot and turn the valve to sealing position. Pressure cook for 6 minutes on ‘MANUAL’ mode. After the Instant Pot beeps, turn the valve to the venting position. After the pin drops, do a QPR and carefully open the lid.
Fluff the cooked pilaf/ daliya with a fork and serve hot.
So, the next time you are craving something savory for breakfast, try this wholesome cracked wheat pilaf/ daliya with veggies. It’s a great filling breakfast for busy mornings!
Do give this recipe a try and tag me on any of my social media. Let me know in the comments if you try this recipe. If you have any questions, I would be happy to answer them. Would love to hear from you. ?
Instant Pot Vegetable Daliya
- 1 cup Cracked Wheat – Daliya
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 3/4 cup Carrots, diced
- 3/4 cup Frozen Peas
- 3/4 cup Red bell pepper, diced
- 1 medium Tomato, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon Mustard seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon Turmeric powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Crushed red chili flakes or Red chili powder
- 3/4 teaspoon Corriander Powder
- 2 teaspoon Lemon Juice (optional)
- 2 cups Water
- 1.5 tablespoon Oil
- Heat the Instant Pot in ‘SAUTE MODE’ and add oil. Add mustard seeds and as they start to crackle add onions.
- Add frozen peas and carrots.
- Sauté for 2-3 minutes until carrots are fork-tender.
- Add tomato and red bell pepper.
- Add daliya/cracked wheat.
- Time to add salt and all the spices.
- Pour in water.
- Mix it well.
- Close the lid with the valve/whistle in sealing position. Change the Instant Pot setting to ‘MANUAL OR PRESSURE COOK MODE’ and allow it to cook for 6 minutes on high pressure.
- After the Instant Pot beeps, do a ‘Quick Pressure Release’. A quick pressure release is when you bring the valve/whistle to the venting position and allow the steam to release quickly.
- After the PIN (close to the valve) drops in, carefully open the Instant Pot. You will find all – cooked Daliya. Fluff it with a fork, add lemon juice and serve hot.