Today I am sharing a popular and staple Mumbai street food – Vada Pav or Batata vada Pav. Brings back childhood memories – on my every trip to Mumbai with my Mom and dad this was a must-have. If you have lived in Mumbai or visited Mumbai you can’t miss out on this one – every corner or stall in Mumbai serve this delicious and yummy Vada pao. This grab and go snack is a straightforward and easy recipe. Traditionally vada pavs are served with spicy garlic chutney and green chilies as sides but I have prepare vada pavs with homemade ladi pavs that are coated with green chutney, tamarind chutney and stuffed with batata vadas.
Batata vadas are none other than potato dumplings flavored with aromatic spices and deep fried. Below I have demonstrated an appe pan method, kadhai/pan method and obviously the fried method.
Preparing these vada pavs is very easy. Pretty much everything can be made in advance. Pavs can be made ahead of time, likewise chutneys and vadas too can be prepared earlier. All that is left for the last minute is the assembling of Vada pav. It’s the different kinds of chutneys that give this snack a distinctive taste and flavor. Batata vadas are similiar to Aloo Bonda which is a specialty of South.
Vada Pav can be enjoyed anytime in the day – in breakfast, dinner or as a evening snack. It’s raining and what a great time to enjoy Vada pav with a cup of hot tea. 🙂 Feeling nostalgic.
Well the authentic street food taste cannot be recreated but I have improvised and shared my version of lip smacking Vada pav recipe that will take you down the memory lane. It can be relished anytime, any day and at your very own comfort; sipping a cup of hot tea 🙂
Are we friend's yet? For recipe ideas, do follow @ruchiskitchen on -
For recipe ideas, do follow @ruchiskitchen on -
Don’t forget to ⭐ rate the recipe and leave me a comment below!
Vada Pav or Batata vada Pav
FOR BATATA VADAS
- 3 large Boiled Potatoes
- 1 teaspoon Mustard seeds
- 1.5 teaspoon Mango Powder (Amchur Powder )
- 1/4 teaspoon Haldi (Turmeric powder)
- 1 teaspoon Roasted cumin seeds
- 1/4 - 1/2 teaspoon Degi Mirch or Red chili Powder
- 1 tablespoon Chopped cilantro leaves
- 10-12 leaves of Curry leaves
- Salt to taste
- 1/2 tablespoon Oil
- 1.5 cups Besan (Chickpea flour/ Gram flour)
- 1/2-3/4 cup Soda water
- 1 teaspoon Degi Mirch or Red chili Powder
- Salt to taste
- Oil for Frying
- 1 tablespoon Oil (if using appe pan or pan cooked method)
- 15-20 pieces of Homemade Pav
- 1 cup Green Chutney
- 1 cup Tamarind Chutney
- 1 small Onion, sliced
MAKING BATATA ROLLS
- Assemble all the ingredients.
- Boil, peel and mash potatoes and transfer it to a large bowl.
- Mix in chopped cilantro leaves...
- And all the spices one by one.
- Mix everything up and adjust your seasonings.
- Start shaping the potato dough into medium size balls.
- Before we begin let's assemble all our ingredients. Besan, soda water, spices and a bowl to mix everything in. Dried mint leaves has not been added to the batter.
- Time to add in soda water to the batter - at the same time start whisking the batter. You will hear a frizzy sound at first and then the bubbles will start to fade away as you whisk. Keep whisking the batter until it's smooth and lump- free. As shown in the picture below - it should be thick and of dropping consistency.
- Batter is ready.
APPE PAN METHOD
- If using appe pan - heat and brush appe pan with oil. Dip potato balls in batter and drop them in appe pan moulds.
- Cover and cook.
- When cooked from one side flip them over and cook till evenly brown and crisp.
- If cooking them in a pan - Heat a pan/kadhai and brush it with oil. Roll potato balls in batter and drop them in hot kadhai.
- Cover and cook till evenly brown, turning them occasionally.
- The regular method is the frying method. Heat oil in a kadhai/pan.
- Roll potato balls in batter...
- Drop them in hot oil.
- Fry till golden brown in color.
- Fried Batata vadas are ready.
- All the three versions are shown below.
ASSEMBLING OF VADA PAV
- Time to assemble vada pav. Prep up all the ingredients. Homemade Pav, green chutney, tamarind chutney and sliced onions.
- Slice pav into half keeping the end part attached, opening it like a book.
- Apply green chutney at the base...
- Drizzle some tamarind chutney..
- Place some onion slices...
- Batata vada...
- And serve...Enjoy yummy Vada pav recipe.