These Homemade Ladi Pav and Buns are soft and delicious buns that make a perfect meal when paired with bhaji. Surprisingly easy to make!
Please excuse me for a verrrrrrrrrrrrry long post. Wondering what does Ladi pav means? Pav means bread and ladi means a chunk or block of dough stuck together hence meaning a block of bread dough stuck or joined together.
These are close to fabulous Mumbai ladi pavs that are easy to make and are light and fluffy with a good flavor and hearty texture. So consider yourself warned – Homemade Ladi Pav and Buns are hard to resist!!
My family has enjoyed homemade pavs for years now and I hope it becomes your family favorite too. Follow the step by step guide below to your very own homemade light and tender pavs. Tested and tried eggless homemade Ladi Pav and Buns recipe.
How to make the Mumbai Famous Ladi pav at home?
Begin the recipe by activating the yeast. Combine yeast with milk+water+sugar and let it stand for 10-15 minutes till it becomes thick, foamy and bubbly. This proofing procedure shows that yeast is alive and active.
If your yeast fails this step please discard and start all over again. DO NOT proceed with the recipe.
WHY ADD BAKING POWDER?
Baking powder makes the pavs feather light and extremely soft.
Combine yeast+dry ingredients and knead a soft pliable dough. Once the dough is kneaded, cover and set it aside in a warm place to rise. The dough will double in size.
Do the poke test – poke a finger in the dough and make an indent (or a small hole with your finger) in the dough. If the hole/indent remains and the dough doesn’t bounce back that means the dough is ready for the next step.
Once the dough has risen, remove it from the bowl and knead it for another 5- 10 minutes. This step is important for lighter pavs. Dough elasticity and gluten formation are enhanced by kneading.
Divide the dough into equal parts and shape them. Cover and let them rest for 30 minutes to 1 hour.
This will help them rise beautifully (picture above). The secret to soft and fluffy pavs lies in how well they have risen.
Bake Homemade Ladi Pav and Buns in a warm oven till they are evenly brown from top. If you prefer a little darker color, place them closer to the heating element for a few seconds until the top gets darker.
Used the same recipe to make homemade BURGER BUNS. I placed the same dough in a baking sheet and baked the dough for 18 – 20 minutes.
Brush homemade buns with butter and sprinkled white sesame seeds – soft and tender homemade buns are ready to eat.
Once you start making this recipe at home you will stop buying market buns – easiest and tastiest bun recipe ever!! These pavs will melt in your mouth and trust me, they won’t last long around the dinner table – my family devoured these pavs in minutes. 🙂
Nothing can beat freshly made homemade ladi pav and buns – quick, easy and delicious. Enjoy it with Bhaji recipe.
PLEASE SCROLL TO THE BOTTOM OF THE PAGE TO SEE HOW TO MAKE PAV WITHOUT OVEN.
Please follow the exact recipe and step by step guide and you can’t go wrong on this one. This recipe has been tested and tried many times in my kitchen and every time its a winner. Three things to keep in mind for light fluffy pavs-
- Well proofed yeast.
- Dough doubled or tripled in size.
- The second rise – pav rolls are well puffed.
- Pavs will be slightly hard when out of the oven – but soft when pressed down. Apply butter and the top will become soft.
Let me know in the comments if you try this recipe. If you have any questions, I would be happy to answer them. Would love to hear from you. 🙂
Are we friend's yet? For recipe ideas, do follow @ruchiskitchen on -
For recipe ideas, do follow @ruchiskitchen on -
Don’t forget to ⭐ rate the recipe and leave me a comment below!
Homemade Ladi Pav and Buns
PAV DOUGH - THIS RECIPE YIELDS 12 PAVS
- 3 cups All purpose flour (or Wheat flour)
- 1 cup Water (Or Milk - you may need some extra- milk gives great results)
- 2.5 tablespoons Butter + 2 tablespoon Oil
- 1.5 teaspoons Salt
- 1 teaspoon Baking powder
- 1 tablespoon Butter (for basting)
- 1 teaspoon Sesame seeds (if making buns)
- 1 packet Active dry yeast (2-1/4 teaspoon)
- 4 teaspoons Water
- 3 teaspoons Milk
- 2.5 teaspoons Sugar
GETTING THE YEAST READY
- Assemble all the ingredients. For few seconds warm up milk, 4 teaspoon water and sugar. This milk and water should be LUKEWARM and not warm. Take it off the flame and mix in the yeast.
- Whisk it well. Please check out the questions and queries related to this post at the end of this recipe.
- Let it sit for 5- 10 minutes. After 10 minutes it will look like a thick creamy paste. In another 5 minutes it will become all foamy and bubbly (frothing may take longer for some). This proofing procedure shows that yeast is alive and active.
- If the yeast is not foamy or bubbly as shown in the pic, please discard the yeast and start again. Do not continue with flat yeast as it will result in dense and sticky pav.
KNEADING THE DOUGH
- In a bowl combine flour with salt and baking powder. Mix it well. Slowly and gradually add water/milk....
- Yeast should be frothy and doubled in size.
- Add yeast. See how thick the yeast is.
- Combine flour and yeast together. Mix in butter and oil.
- Knead the dough for at least 5-10 minutes.
- The dough should be smooth. Not sticky.
- Transfer it to a bowl. the dough before the initial rise.
- Cover the dough with a wet towel..
- And set it in a warm place for at least 1- 2 hours. The dough will double in size. (Mine was doubled in 1 hour but if it is not like this - as shown in pic. please keep it for another 30 minutes). The dough should be like this all airy and puffed up. Poke a finger in the dough and make an indent (or a small hole with your finger) in the dough. If the hole/indent remains and the dough doesn't bounce back that means the dough is ready for the next step.
- Remove the dough from the bowl, dust it with some flour and start kneading the dough. This step is necessary – if the dough is not kneaded well, pav will turn out dense. Dough elasticity and gluten formation are enhanced by kneading. Well-kneaded, smooth and rounded dough is ready.
- Divide the dough into equal parts -12 PAVS. Keep some distance between the pavs.
- Cover them with a wet towel and set it in a warm place for at least 30 minutes to 1 hour. Lift the wet towel to see them doubled in size. If they are not doubled - let them rise for another 30 minutes. Preheat oven at 400 degrees F.
- They will stick to each other - no worries. Pavs will have some pockets of bubbles on top.
- Brush pavs with milk and... Bake them in a preheated oven (400 degrees F) for 10 -15 minutes or until light brown from the top. It took me 12 minutes to lightly brown the pavs and 2 minutes on BROIL - was closely monitored. The top will be hard but still soft when pressed down.
- Apply butter to the freshly baked pavs and it will soften the top. Beautifully baked pavs are ready.
- Run a butter knife around the edges to loosen up the pavs. Run the knife a couple of times and make sure no sides are attached to the baking pan. This way the pav will toss right out of the baking pan.
- Back side of baked pav. Let the bottom side dry out completely. If allowed to sit too long in the baking tray they will turn moist and remain wet at the base due to heat condensation.
- Press on pavs. And they will spring right back into it's shape.
- They will separate easily. See how airy and fluffy they are. Once you start making this recipe at home you will stop buying market buns - easiest and tastiest bun recipe ever!!
- Using the same recipe you can make homemade buns - baking time will vary 18-20 minutes. Sprinkle them with sesame seeds.
PAV WITHOUT OVEN
- Add sand at the bottom of a pan or pressure cooker. Place a strainer over the sand.
- Place pavs over the strainer...
- Cover it with the lid. Maintain the heat - it should be medium. If using a pressure cooker, then remove the rubber gasket from the lid and close the cooker.
- After 30 minutes of total cooking - well-cooked pavs. Cooking time may vary. Carefully remove them from the pan.
- Let it cool down completely and then run a knife across the pan to loosen the pavs. Flit it over.
- Brush with melted butter. Enjoy!! Beautifully crusted at the bottom and soft and velvety at the top.