Another addition to my love for Indian street food- Ragda Patties or pattices. Besides Vada pav and pav bhaji this is yet another Mumbai delicacy that I relish a lot. It’s a lip- smacking one-pot street food where potato cutlets are topped with dried peas chaat and tangy chutneys. In this dish ragda means beaten or churned, meaning vigorously mixing of beans with aromatic spices and pattices is referred to potato tikki or potato cutlets. Yumm!! Keeping in mind my family’s taste preference, I prefer to cook healthy and fresh street food at home and in the comfort of my own kitchen.
RECIPE DETAIL – This recipe is divided into 3 sections. First cooking the patties, second – making ragda i.e.dried peas curry and finally assembling the chaat. I start by preparing potato cutlets or pattices. Pretty simple and not much ingredients. Boiled potatoes are mashed and rubbed in spices to form pattice. Traditionally these patties are deep fried, but I choose to pan cook my potato patties.
In the second part I soaked dried peas in warm water for 3-4 hours. Depending on how old the beans are, cooking time may vary. Soaking reduces the cooking time in half and makes the peas more digestible. Saute peas in aromatic spices and add enough water to make some gravy.
Assembling is the most fun part. I pretend being the street vendor with all the ingredients lined up in front of me and my kids play the part of a customer. On their demand, I prepare fresh and yummy ragda pattice for them by adding ingredients of their choice. They just love it and my reward – is their smiles and clean licked plates. 🙂 Do give this hot and delicious chaat a try and enjoy it with homemade pavs.
Are we friend's yet? For recipe ideas, do follow @ruchiskitchen on -
For recipe ideas, do follow @ruchiskitchen on -
Don’t forget to ⭐ rate the recipe and leave me a comment below!
POTATO INGREDIENTS - 13- 14 PATTIES
- 3 - 4 big Boiled and Peeled potatoes
- 2/3 cup Poha
- 1/2 teaspoon Degi Mirch or Red chili Powder
- Salt to taste
- 1-2 teaspoon Oil to coat the potato dough
- 2 cups Matar or white peas or white Vatana
- Salt to taste (added while boiling matar)
- 1.5 teaspoon Black Salt
- 2 teaspoon Roasted cumin seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon Amchur Powder (Mango Powder)
- 2 teaspoon Coriander powder (sukha dhaniya)
- 1/4 teaspoon Red chili powder
- 2 tablespoon Oil
ASSEMBLING RAGDA PATTIES
- 2 medium Chopped Onion
- 2 medium Tomato, chopped
- 1 cup Green Chutney
- 1 cup Tamarind Chutney
- 2 medium Chopped green chili
- 1 teaspoon Red chili powder to sprinkle on top
- 2 teaspoon Chaat Masala - to sprinkle on top
- 2 tablespoon Gram flour sev to sprinkle on top
MAKING POTATO CUTLETS
- Assemble all the ingredients.
- Wash and soak poha (flattened rice) for 2-3 minutes in cold water. Drain and mash poha (flattened rice) with your hands.
- Make sure it is nicely drained and completely dried.
- In a large bowl mash potatoes and make sure there are no large pieces. Add salt and red chili powder and mix it well.
- Add mashed poha (flattened rice) .
- Knead the mashed potatoes like a dough, if it feels sticky...
- Add 1-2 teaspoon oil...
- Keep kneading the mixture till it's smooth like a dough, adjust seasonings..
- Potato dough is ready.
- Grease your hands and start making potato patties.
- Shaped potato patties
- Heat oil in a kadai. Add potato patties..
- Keep cooking until its evenly brown from both the side. You can choose to fry these patties.
- Potato patties are ready.
- Soak matar for 3-4 hours in hot water.
- After the soaking time, check your grains, if the matar grain is easily crushed in between your fingernails then it will be cooked in 2-3 whistles.
- But if the matar is difficult to break in between fingernails then boil it a bit longer, for 4-6 whistles.
- They will look like this...
- Skin separated and matar all cooked.
- Allow them to cool down and set them aside.
- Next step - assemble ingredients for tempering.
- Heat oil in a pan, add cooked matar..
- And all the spices one by one.
- Add enough water to make some gravy.
ASSEMBLING RAGDA PATTIES
- To assemble - add 4-5 tablespoon of matar in a bowl...
- Sprinkle some onions...
- Sprinkle chopped tomatoes...
- Pour tamarind chutney...
- Generously add green chutney.
- Add 1-2 potato patties on top..
- Add some more chutneys..
- Sprinkle some chaat masala..
- Top with sev....
- And enjoy piping hot!!
- Yummy and D-licious Ragda pattice with homemade pavs...