Urad dal modak recipe, where grounded urad dal is roasted and later combined with sugar, mawa and nuts.Truly a delicious and lip smacking treat.
The festive season has just started. With Raksha Bandhan and Janmashtami behing us, time to prep up for the upcoming festival Ganesh Chaturthi. Ganesh Chaturthi or Vinayak Chaturthi marks the birth anniversary of Lord Ganesha. It’s one of the major festival of Maharashtra and it last for 10 days. Urad dal modak Recipe
Growing up, our neighbors next door would start festivities for this festival days in advance. Being Maharastrians, they would decorate their home to welcome Ganeshji and make beautiful and colorful Ganesh idols. Their house would smell great with festival delicacies like mawa modak, coconut ladoos, and ukadiche modak.
I thoroughly enjoyed the traditional ukadiche modak (pronouced as Ukadi – che meaning steamed) which is a yummy sweet dumpling made with rice flour and is stuffed with nuts and sugar. Beauty of ukadiche modak lies in its pleats and folds which requires lot of patience and practice to make.
Today’s recipe, Urad dal modak Recipe is my way of making modak which resembles the traditional one but is very different.
Now onto the recipe!
It’s a pretty straightforward recipe. Soak dal for 2- 3 hours and later grind it to a fine paste. Cook sooji and flour until light brown in color. Add mawa and cook mawa until it looses it’s white color and turns light brown. Do not over cook.
When mawa is cooked, add the dal mixture and cook until brown in color. Roast dal on a medium flame and keep stirring continuously. These nutty modak gets its signature flavor from the roasted urad dal. Total cooking time will be between 30 – 35 minutes until you attain that beautiful brown color.
Once done add cardamom, nuts and sugar. Place some mixture in moulds and press hard to form a modak. Remove the excess and yummy modaks are ready.
Are we friend's yet? For recipe ideas, do follow @ruchiskitchen on -
For recipe ideas, do follow @ruchiskitchen on -
Don’t forget to ⭐ rate the recipe and leave me a comment below!
Urad dal modak Recipe
- 1 cup Urad ki dhuli dal (White urad dal)
- 2 tablespoon Sooji (Semolina)
- 1 tablespoon Wheat flour
- 3/4 cup Mawa
- 2/3 cup Ghee (divided 1/3 cup + 1/3 cup)
- 2 tablespoon Milk (to grind the dal)
- 1 cup Superfine Sugar
- 1/2 - 1 tablespoon Milk (to knead the roasted dal mixture)
- 2 tablespoon Coarsely grounded Silvered Almonds
- 2 teaspoon Cardamom Powder (to decorate)
- 1 tablespoon Sunflower seeds (to decorate) (optional)
- Soak dal for 2-3 hours.
- Assemble all the ingredients.
- And homemade mawa.
- Drain and wash soaked dal under cold water until it runs clear.
- Transfer dal to a blender along with 2 tablespoon of milk and....
- Grind it to a smooth paste. Set it aside.
- Heat 1/3 cup of ghee in a pan, add sooji, and wheat flour.
- Cook until it becomes light brown in color.
- Add mawa and keep stirring continuously...
- Till mawa turns light brown in color.
- Mix in the dal paste and keep stirring continuously.
- The mixture will become thick and look like a dough.
- Add the remaining 1/3 cup of ghee and keep stirring the mixture.
- Cook till it becomes brown in color.
- It will take 30 minutes on a medium flame to get this color.
- Mix in cardamom powder..
- Add sugar...
- And nuts of your choice..
- Add milk and mix.
- Add milk slowly, milk is only required to bind the mixture. To begin with add 1/2 tablespoon of milk and if the mixture still feel crumbly add another 1/2 tablespoon.
- Place some mixture in a modak mould...
- And press hard. Remove the extra...
- Open mould. Modak is ready..
- Repeat with rest of the mixture and shape them all.
- Urad dal modak are ready for Ganesh Chaturthi.