Craving for a quick and simple homemade bread with healthy ingredients, then give this honey wheat brown bread a try. Combing it with corn soup and veggie penne pasta to create a perfect meal tonight. This recipe is a perfect combination of wheat flour and bread flour, and is mildly sweetened with honey and brown sugar.. sounds yumm..right? It indeed is. This is not exactly a copycat recipe of Cheesecake-factory but pretty close to it.
Making your own bread may sound like too much work but believe me, it’s well worth the effort. Whether be garlic knots, focaccia bread, homemade pavs, honeycomb buns, the warm and fresh smell of a bread baking in your oven will garner lots of compliments.
This is a terrific loaf of bread and I often make this bread as an accompaniment to my soups. Love the texture of this bread, it’s fluffy, light and super delicious. And above all, its free from all preservatives and healthy for the family.
RECIPE DETAIL – This recipe is pretty simple just like any other bread recipe. Besides kneading the dough,all I had to do it is wait for it to rise, I had a lot of “free-time” on hand.
A very versatile recipe – use wheat flour with any white flour.
- I chose bread flour because of its protein content that helps in gluten formation.
- Feel free to substitute bread flour with all purpose flour.
- I have used more of wheat flour, that’s why my bread is dense in texture. The more the wheat flour, the heavy and dense the bread will be.
- Use any oil you like. I have used vegetable oil for this recipe.
- Don’t have brown sugar – leave it or use the exact amount of honey. This bread has the right amount of honey to balance the flavor of cocoa powder.
- Don’t like cocoa in bread, skip it altogether and just make a honey wheat bread.
- Initially, I had added 4 tablespoon of cocoa powder to attain this dark brown color but found it too much so altered it to 3 tablespoon. Feel free to add a pinch of brown color to attain this deep rich brown color. Mix equal part of red and green to make brown color.
Since I didn’t had small loaf pans, I have done all that foil things but if you have a small loaf pan make the bread in that. Follow the step by step tutorial below on how to knead and shape the dough. Brush with oil/butter sprinkle with rolled oats and bake as directed.
- If your yeast doesn’t activate, please discard and start again.
- Do not over knead the dough. Over kneading may result in denser bread.
- Give the loaf a nice warm place to rise. My best spot is my oven – with its light (oven light) on.
Nothing beats a warm, fresh, right off the oven bread right.. sound heavenly right?? It is.. so do give this great tasting bread a try and share you pics and feedback. 🙂