Craving for a quick and simple homemade bread with healthy ingredients, then give this honey wheat brown bread a try. Combing it with corn soup and veggie penne pasta to create a perfect meal tonight. This recipe is a perfect combination of wheat flour and bread flour, and is mildly sweetened with honey and brown sugar.. sounds yumm..right? It indeed is. This is not exactly a copycat recipe of Cheesecake-factory but pretty close to it.
Making your own bread may sound like too much work but believe me, it’s well worth the effort. Whether be garlic knots, focaccia bread, homemade pavs, honeycomb buns, the warm and fresh smell of a bread baking in your oven will garner lots of compliments.
This is a terrific loaf of bread and I often make this bread as an accompaniment to my soups. Love the texture of this bread, it’s fluffy, light and super delicious. And above all, its free from all preservatives and healthy for the family.
RECIPE DETAIL – This recipe is pretty simple just like any other bread recipe. Besides kneading the dough,all I had to do it is wait for it to rise, I had a lot of “free-time” on hand.
A very versatile recipe – use wheat flour with any white flour.
- I chose bread flour because of its protein content that helps in gluten formation.
- Feel free to substitute bread flour with all purpose flour.
- I have used more of wheat flour, that’s why my bread is dense in texture. The more the wheat flour, the heavy and dense the bread will be.
- Use any oil you like. I have used vegetable oil for this recipe.
- Don’t have brown sugar – leave it or use the exact amount of honey. This bread has the right amount of honey to balance the flavor of cocoa powder.
- Don’t like cocoa in bread, skip it altogether and just make a honey wheat bread.
- Initially, I had added 4 tablespoon of cocoa powder to attain this dark brown color but found it too much so altered it to 3 tablespoon. Feel free to add a pinch of brown color to attain this deep rich brown color. Mix equal part of red and green to make brown color.
Since I didn’t had small loaf pans, I have done all that foil things but if you have a small loaf pan make the bread in that. Follow the step by step tutorial below on how to knead and shape the dough. Brush with oil/butter sprinkle with rolled oats and bake as directed.
- If your yeast doesn’t activate, please discard and start again.
- Do not over knead the dough. Over kneading may result in denser bread.
- Give the loaf a nice warm place to rise. My best spot is my oven – with its light (oven light) on.
Nothing beats a warm, fresh, right off the oven bread right.. sound heavenly right?? It is.. so do give this great tasting bread a try and share you pics and feedback. 🙂
CAN’T MAKE IT NOW, PIN IT FOR LATER?
Did you make this recipe?
Tag @Ruchiskitchen on
Facebook | Instagram | Pinterest | Twitter
With your pictures, I would love to see your yummy creations!
Honey wheat brown bread
- 3.5 cups Wheat flour* (see notes above)
- 2 cups Bread Flour
- 1 teaspoon Baking powder
- 3 tablespoon Cocoa powder * (see notes above)
- 1.5 tablespoon Active dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon Sugar
- 2 teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 cup Honey
- 2 tablespoon Brown sugar* (see notes above)
- 1/4 cup Oil
- 1.5 - 2 cup Water (Approximately)
- 2 tablespoon Butter for brushing
- 2 tablespoon Rolled Oats for sprinkling on top of loafs
- A pinch of Brown color (optional) * (see notes above)
KNEADING THE DOUGH
- Measure and assemble all the ingredients.
- Honey and oil..
- Measure flours..
- Combine yeast and sugar together.
- Add water and..
- Mix it well. Let it sit undisturbed for 5-7 minutes.
- Once the yeast activates (frothy and bubbly), go ahead with the recipe. If the yeast fails to do so, please discard and start over.
- In a bowl add dough..
- Add salt..
- Cocoa powder..
- Brown sugar..
- Stir in liquids - honey and oil.
- Pour in yeast, water and..
- Knead the dough until it comes together and clears the bowl.
- Place the dough in a bowl and set it in a warm place. Cover with a clean a kitchen towel and let it rise for an hour.
- The dough will double in size.
- Choose a big bowl for the dough. 🙂
SHAPING THE DOUGH
- Move the dough to a lightly floured surface and knead it again for a few more minutes.
- Knead by hand until the dough is no longer sticky. Keep adding flour as necessary. Shape the dough like a large ball.
- Divide the dough in 4 equal parts.
- Using a rolling pin, flatten the dough.
- Fold and roll the dough as shown in the pictures.
- Pinch all the seams and ..
- Roll on the surface and make it look like a loaf of bread or a log.
- Since I don't have a small loaf pan, I have wrapped all my loafs in aluminium foil.
- Cover it again and set it in a warm place and let it rise for another 1 hour. Since the dough was wrapped in foil, it will maintain it's loaf shape.
- Preheat oven @ 350 degree F. Arrange loaf on a baking tray.
- Brush with butter and sprinkle rolled oats on top.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes.
- Remove the bread from the oven and let them cool. Beautifully baked bread..
- Spray with butter and..
- Serve hot with your favorite soup or pasta.