A quick and simple dish that will surely add some zing to your weeknight dinner. Super easy to make and packed with flavor!! Gluten-free, vegan and dairy-free.
My family and I love Chinese food and this famous restaurant in our area serves some of the best Chinese/Thai delicacies that I have ever tasted. On our last visit, we tried their tasty kung pao delicacy and it was amazing!! Ever since, I wanted to experiment and create the same flavor in my kitchen. If you love kung pao dishes as much as I do then you’re surley going to love Kung Pao Brussels Sprouts. It’s so simple, yet so delicious! How to make Healthy Kung Pao Brussels Sprouts?
Don’t have a liking for brussels sprouts, no worries. Try it on any other veggies or proteins like green beans, roasted cauliflower florets, roasted potato wedges, tofu, or paneer. Meat lovers can add their favorites to this sauce and create a lip-smacking meal.
How to make Kung Pao Brussels Sprouts?
Before we begin with homemade kung pao sauce, let’s roast brussels sprouts in the oven. Clean, wash and trim the sprouts. Cut them lengthwise in halves and place them in a hot oven to roast until they have a nice crispy outer layer and is soft on the inside. They can also be toasted in a pan.
Time to prepare our sweet and spicy quick kung pao sauce. Heat oil in a wok, stir fry chilies, ginger-garlic paste and saute for few seconds. Pour in rest of the ingredients, mix and finally add cornstarch. Let it simmer for a while until everything starts to come together and in minutes the sauce will thicken. You can customize the heat/spice level to your liking.
Add the brussels sprouts at the very end. Toss until its well coated or glazed with kung pao sauce. Finish off with roasted chopped peanuts and green onions.
The end result is completely irresistible – crispy brussels sprouts meets crunchy peanuts and sweet ‘n’spicy kung pao sauce. It’s truly an incredible explosion of flavors! Pair it with steamed rice, spicy veg noodles and create a killer vegetarian meal tonight.
Kung Pao Brussels Sprouts
INGREDIENTS FOR BAKING BRUSSELS SPROUTS
INGREDIENTS FOR KUNG PAO SAUCE
- 1 teaspoon Sesame Oil
- 5 pieces of Whole dried chilies
- 1 tablespoon Ginger paste
- 1 tablespoon Garlic paste
- ½ cup Soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons Brown Sugar or Regular sugar
- 1 tablespoon Vinegar
- 2 teaspoons Red chili paste (adjust according to taste)
- 1 tablespoon Cornstarch mixed with enough water to make a paste
- ½ cup Roasted and chopped peanuts
- Salt to taste
- Clean and wash Brussels sprouts.
- Assemble: rest of the ingredients.
- Trim and sliced them in halves (length-wise).
- Set and preheat oven at 400 degree F. Add oil, salt and pepper to a bowl.
- Toss brussels sprouts in it.
- Spread the brussels sprouts on a baking tray and..
- Bake until the outside leaves are crispy and lightly browned. For me it was 24 minutes.
- Meanwhile, let’s prepare the kung pao sauce. Heat oil in a pan, add chilies and ginger-garlic.
- Let it cook for few seconds and then add all the ingredients except cornflour. Let it simmer for a while.
- Pour in cornflour and simmer until the sauce thickens.
- Lower the flame, add baked Brussels sprouts, chopped peanuts and mix gently until well coated.
- If you find the sauce too much, you can take out couple of teaspoons and then mix in the baked Brussels sprouts.
- Transfer it to a bowl and have it for dinner or..
- Enjoy it as an evening snack.