Enjoy a deliciously sweet bowl of Instant Pot Cracked Wheat Porridge – Meetha Daliya. This smooth and creamy porridge takes about 20 minutes from start to finish and is the perfect way to start your day. Can be enjoyed as a breakfast or a dessert!
Winter mornings call for a warm breakfast and what could be better than a fragrant bowl of porridge. Among all the warm and cozy meals like pancakes, savory cracked wheat pilaf or a slice of quiche, porridge made with milk is a winter favorite of ours.
This soothing bowl of porridge is made with only 7 ingredients and comes together in less than 20 minutes. Besides, it will keep you full for a very long time.
Picture yourself swallowing down a wholesome and delicious porridge bowl that is flavored with ground cardamon and healthy nuts. Yum, isn’t it? I find it immensely satisfying!
What is Cracked Wheat?
Cracked wheat or daliya is made by milling whole wheat grain into smaller pieces. Its shape is similar to stone-cut-oatmeal. Cracked wheat has all the advantages of wheat flour, and since it contains the outside bran and germ of the wheat, it offers some extra benefits as well.
Cracked wheat is an excellent source of fiber and provides more B vitamins, iron, and antioxidants than refined grains. It’s also considered as a low-fat diet and has no saturated fat, trans fat or cholesterol.
NOT TO BE CONFUSED WITH Bulgur wheat!
Bulgur wheat is pre-cooked wheat. Whole wheat grains are parboiled, toasted, dried and later pressed to attain a smaller cut. Its texture and flavor are pretty close to brown rice – earthy and nutty. Bulgur wheat is low in fat, high in minerals like magnesium, and iron. Since it is pre-cooked, therefore, it requires minimal cooking. But cracked wheat is not pre-cooked; consequently, it needs a longer time to cook.
How to make Instant Pot Cracked Wheat Porridge?
Today’s recipe is made possible in my favorite kitchen appliance – The Instant Pot! Making porridge in the Instant Pot is a breeze, and it cooks the cracked wheat beautifully in less time.
It’s a dump-n-go kind of recipe. Simply, cook cracked wheat for 2-3 minutes in coconut oil until it slightly changes its color. Add Almond milk, sugar, cardamom powder, and dry nuts. Mix and seal the lid.
Cook for 10 minutes on HIGH setting and wait for the pressure to release naturally. Open the lid and adjust the milk consistency. A soft and creamy porridge is ready. Top it with your favorite nuts and enjoy a delicious treat!
No Instant Pot, no worries. You could make this porridge on the stove-top too. All you need to adjust is the cooking time and the amount of milk that goes into the recipe.
Why add Cardamon?
Cardamon is the star ingredient in this recipe. It lends a warm flavor and makes the porridge highly fragrant. So, please do not leave this one out.
YOU’LL LOVE THIS VEGAN INSTANT POT CRACKED WHEAT PORRIDGE!
This recipe will make you come back for seconds because it’s –
- sweet, and
- filling! Filling enough to make you last through the lunchtime.
WHERE TO BUY CRACKED WHEAT?
Check your local Indian stores. They all carry cracked wheat under the name Daliya/Dalia. If you still can’t find it then check cracked wheat on Amazon!
Watch the Instant Pot Cracked Wheat Porridge Video Below!
Let me know in the comments if you try this recipe. If you have any questions, I would be happy to answer them. Would love to hear from you. 🙂
Are we friend’s yet? For new updates and recipes, follow @ruchiskitchen on –
For new updates and recipes, follow @ruchiskitchen on –
Don’t forget to ⭐ rate the recipe and leave me a comment below 👇
Instant Pot Cracked Wheat Porridge – Meetha Daliya
- 1 cup Cracked Wheat (Wheat daliya)
- 2.5 cups Almond Milk
- 1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons Sugar
- 1 teaspoon Green Cardamom (crushed)
- 2 tablespoons Mixed nuts (sliced – almonds, pistachio)
- 1 tablespoon Yellow Raisins
- 1 tablespoon Coconut Oil ( I have used Organic Triple Filtered Coconut Oil- it’s odorless and yellow in color)
- 1 cup Almond Milk (after the porridge/daliya is cooked)
- Start the Instant Pot in ‘SAUTE’ mode and add coconut oil to it. Once the coconut oil is melted, add Cracked Wheat.
- Cook for 2-3 minutes until it slightly changes its color.
- Pour in Almond Milk, crushed green cardamom, dry nuts and give it a good stir. Almond milk provides a creamy texture and a nutty flavor.
- Add sugar and mix again. Cancel the saute mode. Select the ‘PRESSURE COOK OR MANUAL’ mode. Cook on high pressure for 10 minutes.
- Wait for the pressure to release naturally (NPR). Once the steam is released, (it takes between 10-20 minutes) the pin will drop automatically.
- Once the pin drops, open the pot carefully. Porridge will feel soft but dry. No worries, add extra milk.
- Adjust the milk consistency.
- A soft and creamy porridge is ready.
- Top it with your favorite nuts and enjoy a delicious treat.
- add chia seeds
- sub cardamom with cinnamon. though cinnamon will add an earthy flavor.
- feel free to use any milk – cashew milk, coconut milk, or regular milk.
- for extra flavor add dried fruits like – cranberries, chopped dates, chopped pineapple, or mango to this porridge.
- substitute sugar with coconut sugar if you like. The color of porridge will change. You can also use natural sweeteners like honey agave or maple syrup.
- add color to this porridge by toppings it with fresh fruits like – raspberries, strawberries, blueberries, and cherries.
- Follow the first 4 steps in a pressure cooker.
- Add 2 cups of milk and pressure cook for 4 whistles.
- Let the steam release naturally.
- Adjust milk, sugar and enjoy!