Italian Chicken Cacciatore is a hearty dish that is rich, flavorful, and packed with tons of flavor. This Instant Pot version is the perfect dump and cook meal that comes together in 30 minutes and tastes amazing. It’s like – comfort food at its best!
Italian food is the epitome of flavor, taste, and smell. Each dish has its own delicious characteristic, distinctive aroma and taste and it never fails to delight you!
Personally, I love pasta, and the only one that stands out to me to be the best is Chicken Cacciatore. However, today I will be sharing a recipe for Instant Pot Chicken Cacciatore. Yes! You heard me right.
The Instant Pot version in which a seared chicken is gently simmered in a hearty tomato sauce along with fragrant herbs and vegetables until it is cooked through.
It takes just minutes to put together the dish and guess the best part? One pot and 30 minutes are all you need to cook this delicious meal. And while cooking, this dish will fill your kitchen with an irresistible aroma! This is one of my go-to weeknights dinner recipes.
WHAT DOES ‘CACCIATORE’ MEAN?
The term ‘Cacciatore’ in Italian means ‘hunter’. Therefore, Chicken Cacciatore means ‘hunter-style meal‘ as in dump-n-cook meal that is rustic and simple.
And this classic chicken dish is indeed very rustic, spicy and juicy where chicken is braised in a flavorful tomato sauce along with onions, garlic, wine, and herbs.
Sounds yum, right? It sure is – lip-smackingly delicious!
There are endless variations of this dish but you can customize it to your liking. However, to add a meaty touch, I choose to add sliced mushrooms to this recipe. Mushrooms lend an earthy flavor and depth to this dish.
How to make Chicken Cacciatore in the Instant Pot?
Making Chicken Cacciatore in Instant Pot is really simple and straightforward. It requires some pantry staples, vegetables, wine, chicken, and Instant Pot of course. The key steps in making a cacciatore are –
- First, season the chicken pieces in gluten-free flour and herbs, rub it all over the chicken. Heat oil in the Instant Pot and sear chicken until brown, but not cooked through. Remove from the Pot and set aside. This step is a must, please do not skip this. The browning of chicken will help to seal in the juices and add extra flavor to the overall dish.
- Add onion, garlic, and mushrooms to the same pan and cook. Stir in the herbs.
- Time to add the key ingredients – homemade marinara sauce and wine.
- Pour in water or chicken stock.
- Seal the Instant Pot and cook on HIGH for 8 minutes.
- After the Instant Pot beeps, do a QPR and leave the sauce to simmer until thickened. This slow simmer allows the flavors to mix with one another.
Serve warm over a bed of soft noodles!
This Instant Pot Chicken Cacciatore is a healthier version of the classic, and you are going to love this recipe because it is –
- so easy to make,
- bursting with fresh flavor
- and enjoyed by all – a kid-friendly recipe!
Overall, a perfect recipe for any scenario, whether it be a party or a weeknight dinner, it’s always amazing. Additionally, with the Instant Pot, cooking chicken cacciatore is a breeze!
What to serve alongside Chicken Cacciatore?
Serve this hearty dish over a bed of soft noodles or pasta and accompany it with some freshly baked bread.
Not a pasta lover, no worries. This dish will make a fabulous meal if paired with steamed rice.
Can I freeze Chicken cacciatore?
Of course, you can! This delicious recipe can easily be doubled or tripled to suit your needs and freezes beautifully.
Store the leftover Cacciatore in an airtight container and freeze. Stays well up to 2 months. When ready to eat, thaw the cacciatore overnight in the refrigerator. Warm it in the microwave for 2 minutes, serve over soft noodles and enjoy!
Do give this recipe a try. Let me know in the comments if you try this recipe. If you have any questions, I would be happy to answer them. Would love to hear from you. 🙂
CAN’T MAKE IT NOW, PIN IT FOR LATER?
Did you make this recipe?
Tag @Ruchiskitchen on
Facebook | Instagram | Pinterest | Twitter
With your pictures, I would love to see your yummy creations!
Instant Pot Chicken Cacciatore Recipe
COATING FOR CHICKEN
- 2.5 lbs Chicken Breasts (about 8 pieces)
- 1/2 cup All-Purpose Gluten-Free Flour
- 1/2 tablespoon Italian Seasoning
- - - Salt and Pepper to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon Paprika
- 3 tablespoons Olive Oil
- 1.25 cup Onion, diced
- 1 teaspoon Minced Garlic
- 8 ounces Sliced Mushrooms
- 1.5 cups Homemade Marinara Sauce
- 1 teaspoon Italian Seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon Crushed Red Pepper
- 3/4 cup White cooking wine
- 1.25 cups Chicken Broth (Water)
- 1 - Bay Leaf
- 2 tablespoons Olive Oil
- 1 pound Cooked Spaghetti or Linguine or any kind of Pasta
- Clean and wash chicken.
- Combine all the ingredients listed under -'Coating for chicken' in a bowl. Mix it well.
- Coat the chicken well in the seasoned flour.
- Dust off the extra flour.
- Start Instant Pot in Saute Mode. Add oil. when oil is hot add the chicken.
- Cook chicken until its golden. Remove from oil and set aside.
- Assemble ingredients to prepare the sauce.
- Add oil to the Instant Pot. Add diced onions, garlic and bay leaf to the Instant Pot. Cook for 2 minutes.
- Add sliced mushrooms to the pan. Stir and cook for a minute.
- Stir in Italian seasoning.
- Red chili flakes.
- Marinara sauce.
- White Cooking Wine.
- Water or Chicken Stock.
- Add browned chicken to the sauce. Mix to combine. Cancel the saute mode. Select the 'PRESSURE COOK OR MANUAL' mode. Cook on high pressure for 8 minutes.
- Once the Instant Pot beeps, do a Quick pressure release (QPR) and when the pin drops, carefully open the Instant Pot. Start the Instant Pot on Saute mode and let the sauce simmer until thickened (3-4 minutes on HIGH).
- Serve over hot pasta garnished with fresh basil.
- Paprika or Red chili powder
- Garlic Powder
- This recipe can be made with any cut of chicken. I have used chicken breasts because they don't dry out or fall apart throughout the cooking and simmering process.
- If using any other cut of chicken then cooking time will vary. For example for a bone-in chicken cooking time will be 15 minutes (in Instant Pot).
- Store-bought marinara sauce can be used. Click here for homemade marinara sauce
- Not a mushroom lover, no worries substitute it with any vegetable of your choice. Bell peppers will work great, so will broccoli.
- Please do not skip the wine. Wine adds a depth of a flavor to this dish. During cooking, the alcohol will burn away and the flavor of the sauce will intensify making it more delicious.
- Sear chicken in a heavy bottomed until golden. Remove and set aside.
- In the same sauce prepare the sauce.
- Add browned chicken along with water/stock and cover it with a lid. Allow it to simmer gently on a low flame for 20 minutes until chicken is cooked through.
- Remove the lid and simmer until the sauce thickens.
- Serve hot over noodles and enjoy!