Flavor-packed Veg Chow Mein or Hakka noodles is a quick and easy meal. Better than take-out – so healthy, fresh, and unbelievably delicious!
Who doesn’t love noodles? People of all ages from young to old love to eat noodles. It’s super easy-to-make, quick and not to mention very addictive. Today, I am sharing a simple veg chow mein recipe that is loaded with a crunch of fresh veggies and bold flavors.
This all-time-favorite recipe for noodles is healthy, wholesome and prepared with minimal ingredients. As a bonus, it takes 30 minutes from start to finish. Ve
Growing up, this was our staple Sunday dinner paired with homemade veg Manchurian. Till now this dinner is on repeat at our house every Sunday.
Because of its smell, color, and harmony of flavors, Veg chow mein is our favorite family dinner!
A kid-friendly Veg Chow Mein Recipe!
This no-brainer Veg chow mein makes a perfect kid/family-friendly recipe. I think this is one meal where kids enjoy all their veggies and their plates are licked clean. Kids can slurp on these noodles all day long. It’s so good!
I bet you will love this recipe too because it’s-
- easy and customizable
- great for parties and next day lunches
- can be made ahead of time
- and is super addictive and enjoyed by all ages!
Talk about the healthy and nutritious meal – this veg chow mein recipe has it all!!
How to make Veg Chow Mein?
This is a pretty straightforward recipe that involves four steps – boil the noodles, saute veggies, make the sauce and assemble. That’s it; a lip-smacking dinner is ready in 30 minutes.
Start by boiling the noodles. For the noodles, I have used Yakisoba noodles.
What are Yakisoba noodles?
Yakisoba means “fried buckwheat” and is a typical Japanese dish. These noodles are made from wheat flour and are quite similar to ramen noodles. But I haven’t fried my noodles. Noodles are boiled as per package instructions and later added to the sauteed veggies. These noodles cook fast so keep a watchful eye. Once cooked, drain and set it aside.
Combine all the ingredients of the sauce in a bowl. Stir to combine. Set it aside.
Thinly slice the veggies of your choice. In hot oil, cook veggies for only a few minutes – they should still have quite a bit of crunch left in them. Do not overcook the vegetables as they will turn mushy and unappetizing.
Pour in the sauce, add noodles and mix until noodles are smeared in the sauce. You are all done!
A Make-ahead recipe!
Like any other noodles or pasta, you can make this recipe well ahead of time.
Boil noodles as per package instructions. Coat with oil and store in the refrigerator. Slice veggies, wrap them in between paper towels and store in the fridge. When ready to eat or serve – cook veggies, add noodles, sauce, and mix.
Dinner will be on the table in less than 10 minutes. In addition to dinner, veg chow mein makes fantastic leftovers for lunch.
Looking for fusion food, try these varieties –
- Spicy veg noodles,
- Veggie Szechuan noodles,
- Paneer Shashlik,
- Veg Manchurian rice,
- Veg Manchurian,
- Gobi Manchurian,
- Sweet and sour honey lemon paneer
So let’s get cooking! Make your favorite noodles right at home with this easy Veg Chow Mein Recipe. Let me know in the comments if you try this recipe. If you have any questions, I would be happy to answer them.
Veg Chow Mein
- 8 oz Yakisoba Noodles (2 packets)
- 3 tablespoon Olive oil
- 1 teaspoon Garlic paste
- 1 teaspoon Ginger paste
- 1 small White or yellow onion sliced
- 1 cup Shredded cabbage
- 1/4 cup Celery, sliced or chopped
- 3/4 cup Shredded Red cabbage
- Assemble all the ingredients. (Hoisin sauce, Red chili flakes not shown in pic).
- Boil noodles as per package instructions. Drain water and set them aside.
- For the sauce combine all the ingredients in a bowl, except black pepper. Mix to combine.
- Heat oil in a pan. Add ginger - garlic paste and saute for a minute. Mix in celery and onions.
- Cook veggies for only a few minutes, so they still have quite a bit of crunch left in them. Do not overcook them; they will turn mushy and unappetizing.
- Add shredded red cabbage. Mix it well. Do not cook cabbage.
- Add noodles.
- Pour in the sauce.
- Add cabbage.
- Add crushed black pepper.
- Mix until well blended.
- Noodles are ready. If you like to sprinkle some more black pepper.
- Pair it with veg Manchurian and.....
- Enjoy your yummy meal!!