The ultimate homemade basil pesto sauce–straightforward, packed with flavor and ready in 15 minutes. My kitchen window planter is overflowing with basil leaves, so tossed some other ingredients from the fridge/pantry and created totally delicious and simple homemade Basil Pesto recipe.
I make jars of pesto sauce in summer (when basil is in abundance in the market) and freeze it either in jars or in ice cube trays. Once they are frozen put them in a plastic bag (zip-lock bag) and this way we enjoy pesto sauce for the entire year 🙂
Basil can be substituted with spinach to make spinach pesto, Tastes great! Likewise, walnuts, almonds, and sunflower seeds are a good pine-nut replacement.
As per one’s preference, you can make this with less oil, but the extra oil makes it much smoother. It was a little chunkier so added some lemon juice to thin it out and to preserve it better.
Basil pesto a versatile topping for pasta, sandwiches, and pizzas.
Homemade Pesto Sauce
- 3 cup Fresh Basil leaves with few soft stems Or any fresh herb of your choice
- 2/3 -3/4 cup Olive oil
- 1/4-1/2 cup Pinenuts (Chilgoza)
- 2/3 cup Shredded Parmesan cheese (vegan option- cashews)
- 3 cloves of Garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon Freshly grounded Black peppercorns
- 1 teaspoon Lemon Juice
- Salt to taste
- Assemble all the ingredients. Clean and wash Basil leaves.
- In a food processor/blender combine basil leaves with garlic, lemon juice, pinenuts, salt, and black pepper.
- Pour in olive oil as you blend.
- Blend until smooth and creamy
- Adjust your seasonings and homemade pesto sauce is ready.