These Grilled Tofu Wonton Cups are easy-to-make appetizers, overloaded with flavors and textures. A perfect finger-food recipe that promises to please the crowd is versatile and can be stuffed with various fillings. This protein-rich, super crunchy delicacy prepares under 30 minutes and can become the star of your table.
Perfect finger food that eliminates the need for serving plates and forks – just pick me up and enjoy!
What are Grilled Tofu Wonton Cups
These easy-baked wonton cups are made with deep-fried or baked wonton wrappers and filled with various fillings, including vegetarian and non-vegetarian ones. The recipe comes together in no time and can be served with dips or chutneys of one’s choice.
This delicious and drool-worthy recipe of make-ahead wonton cups can be prepared in advance and filled with sauce-coated tofu, herbs, and other ingredients.
Truly irresistible and coated with sauces, these wonton wrapper snacks can be made in large quantities and served to a large gathering.
Reasons You’ll ♡ Grilled Tofu Wonton Cups
These flavorsome bowls of deliciousness are the absolute indulgence at a party. You will love this recipe of Tofu Wonton Cups for the following reasons —
- Easy to make finger food
- Colorful and healthy
- Can be doubled
- Versatile dish
- A perfect crowd-pleaser!
The best part is that these bite-sized appetizers can be enjoyed guilt-free as they are vegetarian and vegan and can be completely customized with your favorite toppings.
Grilled Tofu Wonton Cups Ingredient List
Tofu — Extra firm Tofu is the main protein ingredient used as a delicious, healthy, and colorful filling. Always use extra firm tofu available in the market as it will not break or lose its structure.
Oil — These wontons are brushed with olive oil before baking for maximum flavor.
Wrappers — You can use homemade wonton cup wrappers for this delicious recipe. However, you can also use the store ones to save time.
Onions— Diced green onions are used for preparing the filling that looks and tastes just amazing.
Hoisin Sauce — A fragrant, pungent sauce that adds an Asian taste to many dishes, fusing umami with sweet, tangy, and spicy ingredients. If you can’t find hoisin sauce, you can use vegetarian mushroom-flavored oyster sauce.
Cilantro Leaves — Chopped cilantro leaves are added to garnish the recipe.
Ginger-Garlic paste — This is added to the recipe to lend it a boost of flavor.
Sugar — Brown sugar or regular sugar is added to the stir-fry sauce ingredients. Just add a pinch of brown sugar for flavoring.
Cornstarch — To make a slurry and prepare a thick and flavorsome gravy for the recipe that coats each piece of tofu.
Soy Sauce — Brings unique flavors to the recipe. Soy sauce provides a sweet, umami (savory) flavor and even a slightly bitter taste.
Rice wine vinegar — This is used for preparing the stir-fried sauce. It adds a sweet and tart flavor to these grilled tofu wonton bowls.
Paprika — Adds beautiful color and heat to the grilled tofu filling.
Grilled Tofu Wonton Cups Recipe Tips and variations
Importance of Rice Vinegar — Rice vinegar enhances the recipe’s flavor. It adds a sweet and tart flavor without fat and calories.
For perfectly well-baked wontons — Wonton wrappers burn quickly; therefore, keep a watchful eye when baking them. I baked these wontons at 350° F for 10 to 12 minutes until they were lightly golden brown. The trick lies in not overcooking or burning the wonton cups but baking them at a low temperature to reach a light golden brown hue. To achieve the best results, when baking in the air-fryer, ensure the wontons are arranged in a single layer and are manageable.
Substitute for wonton cups — Athens Phyllo Pastry Sheets are the other option for cups if you don’t prefer to use wonton wrappers.
Firm tofu is the best — You get three kinds of tofu in the market: soft, medium, and firm. The best-suited tofu for this recipe of Tofu Wonton Cups is the extra firm tofu that delivers excellent results. It holds its shape and texture and is firm enough not to fall apart when cooked.
Drier tofu results in crispier bites — Dried tofu makes the best choice for this recipe. It ensures crispiness on frying without becoming crumbly. However, before using it for the recipe, drain excess water to make it dry.
Delightfully spicy — This wonton tofu cup is delightfully spicy and has an excellent heat content without being overpowering. You can use Thai sweet chili sauce with sweet and savory flavors and a delectably spicy punch for a lesser spicy version of this recipe.
Veggies added for more nutrition — The flavor, color, and nutrition rendered by the veggies can be enhanced by adding more veggies like carrots, mushrooms, bell peppers, and broccoli. However, you will need to double the sauce if adding more veggies.
Cool the mixture before stuffing — Before filling the wonton cups, ensure that the mixture has cooled down properly. If the filling is hot, expect the cups to become soggy and difficult to pick up. This may also disintegrate the wonton cups.
Don’t overstuff the wontons — Refrain from over-stuffing them as they will not cook properly.
Partially make-ahead recipe — You can comfortably make wonton cups ahead of time. This is one of my favorite time-saving tips. I don’t recommend adding the filling to the cups until they are ready to serve. This also ensures that the wontons don’t get soggy enough.
When making a large batch — You need to protect each wonton cup when making a large batch. Wrap the stack of uncooked wonton wrappers in a towel so they remain pliable and don’t dry out.
Frying or air-frying both work great — These wonton cups can be prepared by frying in hot oil, but you can also air fry them for a healthier version. Deep-frying is indeed a treat, but I choose to bake them instead for a healthy snack. You can bake the wonton cups in the air-fryer if you have a small muffin tray. They only take 4 – 5 minutes to prepare at 325° F.
Let me know what you think!
If you are looking for a recipe perfect to delight your palate, then this recipe is the best. Create the delicious wonton cups and dig into the brilliantly flavored dish that will blow away your mind!
If you have collected the ingredients, let’s get straight into the recipe. Bake your crispy wonton cups and proceed with the recipe for the delicious cups of delightfulness.
Should you make this recipe, please let me know your thoughts by sharing your comment below.
And don’t forget to share it with your family and friends.
HUNGRY FOR MORE? FAMILY-FAVORITE RECIPES, TRY THESE-
Follow the step-by-step instructions to make the best Grilled tofu Wonton Bowls recipe
Grilled Tofu Wonton Cups
TACO OR BOWL INGREDIENTS
STIR FRY SAUCE – MAKES 1/4 CUP
MAKING WONTON CUPS
- Preheat oven to @200 degrees F. Spray or brush the muffin pan with cooking spray. This will help the wonton wrapper to stick to the mold and for easy removal after baking.
- Bake for 10 minutes or until light brown and crispy.
- Let them cool for a few seconds in their mold. Now, turn them onto a wire cooling rack to let them cool completely. Set them aside.
GRILLING TOFU AND SAUCES
- Unwrap the tofu from its package and drain the excess liquid. Wrap the block of tofu in between two kitchen paper towels.
- Place a heavy object on top to drain any excess liquid. Allow the tofu to press for 15 minutes under this heavy object.The extra liquid will drain away. After the rest time, unwrap the tofu block.
- Slice the pressed tofu into cubes.
- Grease a griddle and grill tofu until light brown in color.
- While the tofu is cooking, let's prepare the sauce. In a bowl, combine garlic paste, brown sugar, soy sauce, rice wine vinegar, paprika, and ginger paste.
- Add sesame oil.
- Add cornstarch.
- Whisk it well. Set it aside.
- Once the tofu is cooked and crisp, remove it from the pan and set it aside to cool completely. Dice into small cubes. Transfer diced tofu to a plastic bag.
- Pour the above-prepared sauce over diced tofu.
- Shake it well to coat.
- Heat oil in a pan and cook tofu for 5-7 minutes. Remove from flame and allow it to cool. Tip — If using another form of protein like chicken, cook until the chicken is browned.
- Let's prepare the second dressing – the Asian dressing. Combine rice wine vinegar, soy sauce, sesame oil, vegetable oil, brown sugar, and water in a bowl; mix until well blended.
- Save 3 tablespoons of this sauce for later use, and pour this remaining Asian dressing over Cole Slaw.
- Mix it well.
ASSEMBLING TOFU CUPS
- It's time to assemble our tofu cups.
- Arrange the baked wonton cups on a plate. Generously add sautéed tofu at the base.
- Top with Cole Slaw.
- Add chopped spring onions on top.
- Drizzle the cups with the saved ( 3 tablespoons of ) Asian dressing.
- Garnish with chopped cilantro leaves and tofu wonton bowl is ready to be served. Repeat the process with the rest of the bowls and serve immediately.
Frequently Asked QuestionsWhat are other ways to serve these wonton cups? Exciting variations — The sky is the limit for experimenting with different types of fillings for these wonton cups. You can choose from any of these below-mentioned options —
- Corn Salsa
- Avocado dip
- Nacho Wonton Cups
- Taco filling with black beans and salsa
- Cheesy pizza filling
- Cheesy corn masala cups
- Stir-fried sweet chili tofu bites