For all my friends, who love finger-foods, this quick and easy Avocado Bruschetta recipe is just for you! Perfect for brunch or as a light evening snack, these hors d’oeuvres are exceptionally easy to make, plus it all comes together in less than 20 minutes, start to finish!
So, for your next gathering, set a platter full of this delicious crowd-pleasing appetizer and watch it disappear! It can be easily adapted to suit a vegan diet!
What image comes to your mind when you think of bruschetta?
Crispy, toasty bread topped with fresh mozzarella, tomato mixture, avocado spread, and basil leaves – sound heavenly, right?
Trust me; it’s hard to resist because it’s seriously amazing!
All the flavors, in this easy Avocado Bruschetta recipe, unite together into one completely irresistible and incredibly tasty bite!
What is Bruschetta?
Bruschetta is a traditional antipasto (appetizer) that originates from Italy.
It consists of a toasted bread that’s been drizzled with olive oil, rubbed with garlic, topped with mozzarella cubes, and a flavorful cherry tomato and basil mixture.
The toppings for Bruschetta isn’t always tomatoes; it can be made with many other ingredients.
Get creative and try some other delicious options like chickpeas, mushrooms, roasted bell pepper, hummus bruschetta, and many more, but the combination of tomato basil is my all-time favorite.
What makes up this delicious Easy Avocado Bruschetta Recipe?
Simple ingredients create this amazing appetizer—the ones that you probably have on hand, if not all, in your kitchen. Let’s have a look at them-
- A crusty bread – the essential component in this recipe. I have used French baguette and sourdough bread here.
- Ripe tomatoes – any type of plum tomatoes will do. I have used cherry (grape) tomatoes because they lend a juicy burst of sweetness and clean, bright flavor to this bruschetta.
- Garlic – of course! The flavor squad that will help impart tons of flavor into your bread.
- Red onions – for extra crunch. Feel free to use onion powder instead.
- Fresh basil – make s a huge difference.
- Lemon juice– it brings extra freshness and zing to this recipe.
- Black pepper – freshly ground pepper tastes amazing.
- Mozzarella cubes – add a soft creamy texture.
- Avocados – a fruit that is a nutritional powerhouse of vitamins, minerals, magnesium, potassium, fiber, and antioxidants.
- Extra virgin olive oil – the main ingredient that makes a huge difference. I always use extra virgin olive oil for this recipe.
Avocados, when team up with tomatoes, creates a wholesome dish that is light, refreshing, nutrient-dense, and so delicious!
How to make Easy Avocado Bruschetta Recipe?
This recipe comes together so beautifully that it creates an excitingly simple dish that requires almost no cooking time and is yet so flavorful and delicious. To make avocado bruschetta –
1. Preheat oven on broil setting. Slice bread in ½-inch thick slices.
2. Transfer slices of bread on to a baking sheet. Spray with extra virgin olive oil and broil the slices in the oven for about 2 minutes on each side or until golden brown.
3. When the bread is crispy, remove from the oven.
4. Cut a clove of garlic in half. Rub garlic on all the toasted bread slices. Garlic infuses flavor into this bread and it will dissolve as you keep rubbing it onto the bread. Don’t skip this step. It takes the bruschetta to a whole new level.
5. Set aside. Easy Avocado Bruschetta Recipe
Prepare Tomato mixture
5. In a separate bowl, combine cherry tomatoes, onions, extra virgin olive oil, fresh basil leaves, ground black pepper, and salt.
6. Toss to combine. Easy Avocado Bruschetta Recipe
Prepare Avocado Spread
7. Combine smashed avocadoes, lime juice, and ground pepper in a mixing bowl.
8. Mix until blended. Easy Avocado Bruschetta Recipe
Assemble Avocado Bruschetta
9. Take a toasted bread slice. Spread a layer of avocado spread onto each slice.
10. Generously spoon the tomato mixture on top of the avocado layer. Leave out the juices at the bottom as it will make the bread soggy.
11. Finally, top with cubed Mozzarella cheese and fresh basil leaves.
12. Serve immediately. Easy Avocado Bruschetta Recipe
Cooking Tips to make the best-smashed avocado and tomato bruschetta recipe
» Tomato is the star ingredient, therefore, pick the ripe, red juicy, tomatoes that are at their peak.
» For a uniform appearance, cut tomatoes into even-sized pieces.
» Prepare the tomato basil mixture at least an hour in advance to allow the flavors to meld. The juices will settle to the bottom of the bowl, and the taste of the tomato mix will intensify.
» You can leave out the concentrated juices from the tomato mixture and top the toasted bread with the flavorful tomato mix.
» For a fresh and vibrant looking basil – tear it with your fingers instead of cutting with a knife.
» Don’t have fresh basil on hand, no worries. Swap it with dried herbs.
» For a robust flavor, add more olive oil to the tomato mixture.
» You don’t have to start an oven to toast your bread. The main idea is to get a crispy toast, so you can toast your bread either in a skillet, a panini maker, a toaster, or a grill pan.
Now for some faq’s
» Will this smashed avocado and tomato bruschetta recipe work with gluten-free bread?
Absolutely! Without a doubt. You can try this combination of avocados and tomato mix on any gluten-free bread, and it will taste equally good.
» Can you make it vegan?
Sure, you can! Skip the mozzarella cheese, and this easy avocado bruschetta is all vegan. Do check the bread if that is vegan too.
» How long can you store avocado bruschetta?
Once assembled, bruschetta will only stay good for up to a few hours. However, you can store the toasted bread, avocados, and tomato mix separately. Store avocado mix + tomato mix separately in an airtight container. Store the toasted bread in a plastic bag.
» What other kinds of bread to use for tomato and avocado bruschetta?
You can use whatever crispy bread you can find at your local grocery store. The ones that I would suggest are –
- French baguette Easy Avocado Bruschetta Recipe
- Sourdough bread
- Any Italian bread – plain or flavored
- Rustic Artisan-style bread
So serve up those artisan bread in your refrigerator topped with this yummy Avocado Bruschetta. Trust me, this eye-catching appetizer will make quite a statement, and you will get rave reviews every time you serve it.
Just like I always say, do let me know in the comments when you make this recipe. Feel free to contact me with any questions or inquiries, and I would be happy to answer them.
CRAVING FOR MORE, TRY THESE OTHER DELICIOUS HORS D’OEUVRES!
Easy Avocado Bruschetta Recipe
FOR THE BREAD
- 1 loaf of Baguette bread or rustic bread
- 2 tablespoons Extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves of Garlic
- 10 oz Cherry tomatoes evenly sliced
- ¼ cup Red onion chopped
- 4-5 – Fresh Basil leaves chopped
- 1 tablespoon Olive Oil
- – – Salt to taste
- 2 medium Avocado peeled, cored, and smashed
- 1 tablespoon Fresh lemon Juice
- ¼ teaspoon Freshly ground black peppercorns
- – – Salt to taste
- 4 oz Ball of Mozzarella Cheese (appx. 1/4 cup diced cheese)
- – – Fresh Basil leaves
- 1 tablespoon Balsamic vinegar to drizzle on top
- Preheat oven on broil setting.
- Slice bread in ½-inch thick slices.
- Transfer slices of bread on to a baking sheet. Spray with olive oil and broil the slices in the oven for about 2 minutes on each side or until golden brown.
- When the bread is crispy, remove from the oven.
- Cut a clove of garlic in half. Rub garlic on all the bread slices. Garlic infuses flavor into this bread and it will dissolve as you keep rubbing it onto the bread. Set aside.
PREPARE TOMATO MIXTURE
- In a separate bowl, combine chopped tomatoes, onions, olive oil, fresh basil leaves, and salt.
- Toss to combine.
PREPARE AVOCADO SPREAD
- Combine smashed avocadoes, lime juice, and ground pepper in a mixing bowl.
- Mix until blended.
ASSEMBLE AVOCADO BRUSCHETTA
- Take a toasted bread slice. Spread a layer of avocado spread onto each slice.
- Generously spoon tomato mixture on top of the avocado layer.
- Finally, top with cubed Mozzarella Cheese and fresh basil leaves.
- Serve immediately.