Here’s the recipe for an incredibly delicious Eggless crumb cake that is insanely easy to bake and is an excellent accompaniment to your evening tea or coffee. Its melt-in-mouth texture and the irresistible buttery cinnamon crumb topping are overloaded with flavors and textures.
This egg-free walnut crumb cake is hard to resist, and you can dig right into it after baking without having to bother about frostings or embellishments.
Perfect for breakfast or as a dessert, this eggless crumb cake has an extra thick, generous layer of streusel crumb topping that is crispy, yet it creates a nice contrast to the soft cake.
Not too sweet, this crumbles cake counterbalances the sweetness in the streusel topping, making it a blissful treat.
Always a hit with family and friends, this marvelous crumb cake is a surprising twist to the basic coffee cake. Serve it with tea or coffee and soak up your well-deserved praises.
Difference between coffee cake and Eggless Crumb Cake
The Eggless Crumble Cake is very similar to the coffee cake, the main difference being the streusel topping that forms the gorgeous adornment.
Compared to the coffee cake, the Walnut Crumb Cake has a thicker and chunkier layer of streusel topping than coffee cake, making it completely drool-worthy.
However, the coffee cake can be prepared without the streusel topping, but that doesn’t make it any less tasty.
Reasons You’ll ♡ Eggless Crumb Cake
This gorgeous dessert is super yummy and is a brilliantly baked recipe every time. Here is why you will love this eggless crumble walnut cake —
- A simple and easy recipe
- Ultimate flavors and superb texture
- No use of artificial colors or flavors
- Topped with buttery streusel topping
- Melt-in-mouth and feather-like texture!
Eggless Walnut crumb cake is a moist and flavorsome dessert that perfectly satiates your sweet tooth when you are craving something irresistibly delicious.
Eggless Crumb Cake Ingredient List
All-purpose flour — The base ingredient of the Eggless Walnut Crumble Cake! This provides structure to our irresistibly delicious cake.
Baking Powder + Baking soda — The batter needs to be aerated to achieve fluffiness and a feather-like texture of the cake, and baking powder + baking soda is added as the leavening agent for this purpose.
Salt — A pinch of salt is added to neutralize the flavors.
Sugar — Used as a sweetener in the Crumb cake batter.
Butter — Unsalted softened butter brings softness and creaminess to the cake. Additionally, softened butter blends well with sugar when preparing the streusel topping.
Sour Cream — This brings the right moistness and richness to the crumb cake.
Curd — Full-fat yogurt adds richness to the cake. Plus, it is an excellent alternative to eggs.
Milk — Lends the walnut crumb cake its required moistness besides the extra softness.
Vanilla Essence — Adds an extra punch of flavor.
Brown Sugar — This is used while preparing the crumble topping. This lends a beautiful color and texture to the crumb.
Cinnamon — This spice adds the flavor of this eggless walnut crumble cake to another level.
Walnuts — It adds a delectable crunch and nutrition to our heavenly cake.
Recipe Tips and Variations
Be careful with the measurements — Correct measurements of the ingredients for the cake batter are the key to the best-baked cakes. Wrong measurements can throw the eggless crumb cake recipe off-balance and lead to disappointing results; therefore, ensure to measure your flour correctly.
Use fresh ingredients — One of the main reasons for the cakes not rising and becoming dense is the usage of expired leavening agents. Before adding to the cake batter, ensure that the baking soda and the baking powder are within their shelf life and freshness.
Sift the ingredients to a lump-free mix — Sifting ensures that the mixture gets lump-free. Sifting also allows the air to incorporate appropriately, which is essential for the batter to rise.
Room temperature ingredients — The ingredients that go into the batter should be at room temperature as they blend correctly when they are at similar temperatures. Before mixing, you can set the butter and milk out for at least half an hour.
Butter or Oil? Both work fantastic, and you can use either of the two depending on your preference. I have used oil for this recipe of Walnut Crumble Cake. The advantage of using oil instead of butter is that oil-based cakes do not dry out and remain soft even when stored in the refrigerator.
Cake flour for best results — Cake flour creates the moistest and fluffiest layer. It gives structure to the cake while also rendering it a delicate crumb. Therefore, you can use cake flour instead of all-purpose flour in this recipe.
Mix until just combined — Over-mixing the batter leads to over-aerating, resulting in a chewy and dense cake. Mix until well-integrated, as this ensures sufficient air to trap into the batter, which is necessary for expanding while baking.
Use buttermilk — Buttermilk is thick in consistency which helps create a moist base layer for the eggless crumb cake. As it is acidic, it tenderizes the gluten present in the batter and makes it soft and super spongy. You may also substitute buttermilk with whole milk and vinegar.
Homemade buttermilk — You can easily prepare buttermilk at home and use it for your crumb cake. For this, take 1.5 cups of regular milk in a bowl and add 1 ¼ tbsp of distilled white vinegar. Stir it well and let it rest for about 5 mins. The milk begins to curdle at this stage and turns acidic. You can collect the freshly made buttermilk and use it for the recipe.
The thicker batter for this cake — Compared to the other cake batters, this batter is somewhat thicker in consistency. This keeps the streusel layer from sinking to the bottom and helps the cake to maintain its sturdiness to hold all that chunky streusel on top.
Releasing the air bubbles is essential — Tapping the cake pan over the counter before adding the crumb topping helps release any trapped air from the batter. This ensures a smooth finish to the Crumb Cake.
Refrain from over-mixing the mixture — Combine the crumb mixture until just blended, as we want a crumb topping that can hold its shape when scattered over the cake layer. It should not be dry and disintegrate into the cake layer like sand.
Be careful with the temperature — Adhering to the temperature mentioned in the recipe instructions ensures the best results. Any temperature alteration will yield dry, crumbly, or raw baked cake with a change in texture and color.
Toothpick test for doneness — When you are finished baking the crumb cake, resort to the toothpick test to confirm the doneness of the recipe. To test this delicious cake recipe, stick a toothpick in your crumb cake, and if the toothpick comes out clean with a few crumbs attached, it indicates that the cake is ready. If not, you must leave the cake in the oven for a few extra minutes.
Cutting instructions — The cake is dense and, if cut with a blunt knife, may even spoil the recipe. So, it is best to use a serrated knife which ensures an easy cut-through.
Let me know what you think!
This Eggless Streusel Cake is an effortless recipe that brings fantastic results.
Light and decadent, this Cinnamon Walnut Crumble Cake can be prepared in your kitchen in no time, with the essential ingredients that may be available in your pantry.
So, let’s get started with the recipe.
Should you make this Eggless crumb cake, please let me know your thoughts by sharing your comment below.
And don’t forget to share it with your family and friends.
HUNGRY FOR MORE FAMILY-FAVORITE RECIPES? TRY THESE-
Follow the step-by-step instructions to make the best Eggless Crumb Cake
Eggless Crumble Cake
- 1½ cup All purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon Cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons Baking powder
- ½ teaspoon Baking soda
- ⅛ teaspoon Salt
- ½ cup Sugar + 3 tablespoons extra ( if planning to add glaze on top of the cake – omit this extra tablespoons of sugar)
- ⅓ cup Oil or Butter
- ½ cup Buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla essence
- ¾ cup Yogurt or hung curd
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line an 8×8-inch baking pan with parchment paper and grease it with oil or butter. Set it aside. Protip — I have baked this cake in an 8×8 inch cake pan, but if you prefer a thinner cake, transfer the cake batter to the 9” x 13” and bake according to the instructions for best results.
- Combine flour, brown sugar, and cinnamon in a mixing bowl.
- Mix until blended.
- Add softened butter.
- Mix until it forms soft crumbs.
- Add chopped walnuts.
- And mix again. The streusel mixture will absorb the butter as it sits and become more crumbly by the time it's ready to top our cake batter.
- Combine flour, cornstarch, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a large mixing bowl.
- Sift the ingredients. Set it aside.Protip — Sifting removes any lumps or impurities from the flour and eases the mixing of ingredients.
- Combine sugar and oil in a bowl.
- Whisk this mixture until they are thoroughly combined. It will take about 2-3 minutes to blend everything together.
- Add yogurt and essence to this mixture.
- Whisk until it forms a smooth and lump-free mixture.
- Add buttermilk and whisk until combined.
- Add your dry ingredients to the wet ingredients. Whisk until just combined.
- Scrape the bottom and sides of the mixing bowl with a spatula to ensure everything is thoroughly blended.
- Pour the batter into the greased pan.
- Smoothen the top layer and tap the pan to release the trapped air.
- Generously spread the streusel layer over this batter. Lightly press the streusel down on the batter.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes or until the toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Cool the cake for about 30 mins before slicing. This ensures a clean cut and avoids the disintegration of the crumb layer.
- Once cooled, slice a piece and enjoy!