Hey chocolate lovers, here is another epic recipe ready to take you on a blissful journey of deliciousness! The incredibly rich, soft, and moist eggless black forest pastry, with double layers of cherry-infused chocolate cake and the lusciously whipped-cream frosting, is a heavenly combination that is a treasure to cherish!
So hop on, and let’s learn how to make the most deliciously moist Eggless black forest pastry.
Before I start, let me ask you a simple question. Are you intimidated by making cakes from scratch? If that’s a yes, then I think it’s time to conquer your fears.
I agree that made-from-scratch cakes do take a little extra time, just like my Eggless vanilla cupcakes, Eggless butterscotch cupcakes, Eggless red velvet cupcakes, or Vegan aquafaba brownie. Still, the excitement of homemade is unmatched and completely worth the effort.
And not to mention, it truly is far easier and delicious than you think.
What is Eggless Black forest Pastry
If you are wondering whether it’s an Eggless chocolate cake or a pastry? Then let me clear the air here – this is a cake dressed as a pastry. In India, individually iced and decorated slices of cakes are called a “pastry.”
So if you spot a pineapple pastry or an eggless black forest pastry at a pastry shop, it’s basically a cake enhanced to its best to suit the whims and preferences of a baker.
I prefer to make a pastry over a cake as it is the ideal single-serving dessert. Perfectly portioned cake slices without getting out of control!
Reasons You’ll ♡ Eggless Black Forest Pastry
This eggless black forest pastry has been my go-to recipe for many years and turns out perfect every single time. It first appeared as moist chocolate cupcakes on the blog, and now I am sharing it with step-by-step instructions in a luscious pastry form that’s —
- Made with the pantry staples
- Fluffy crumb and incredibly moist ( all thanks to the cherry syrup)
- Loaded with chocolatey flavor in every bite
- The cake layer has a structure that doesn’t fall apart as you frost.
- Completely customizable – you can decorate however you like!
The best part, this eggless cake is a wonderful canvas for any type of chocolate creation! Add this recipe to your party menu and be sure of it winning hearts when served to guests and family.
Eggless Black Forest Pastry Ingredient list
The ingredients to make the best Eggless Black Forest Pastry is probably sitting in your pantry.
Please do not skip any ingredients as all the tastefully blended ingredients work together especially to make this eggless pastry a divine treat to your palate.
Flour — All-purpose flour is what I have used for baking this eggless pastry. All-purpose flour provides structure to our cake. If you prefer what flour, then I would recommend using 3/4 cup of wheat flour ad 3/4 cup of all-purpose flour.
Cornstarch — the essential dry ingredient that softens the flour’s protein and bakes a lighter crumb cake.
Baking Soda — The usual leavening agent that plays an essential role in baking. Check the date on the package before using it; make sure it is still fresh.
Unsweetened cocoa powder — I have used extra dark cocoa Hershey’s powder as it lends an intense, rich chocolate flavor and a deep dark color to our eggless black forest pastry.
Salt — Just a pinch to balance out the sweetness and overall flavor.
Sugar — use granulated sugar or even brown sugar for this recipe. Or you can use a combo of both. Brown sugar adds moisture to the black forest pastry.
Oil — As far as fat goes, oil is my go-to ingredient for chocolate-based cakes. Always use neutral-flavored oil like canola or vegetable oil for baking your cakes.
Buttermilk — A must for this recipe as it creates a slightly acidic batter that reacts with baking soda to form a beautifully moist and tender crumb. If you don’t have buttermilk on hand, you can make it at home by combining 1 cup of milk with 1 tablespoon of vinegar. Stir it well and let it rest for 15 minutes. There you have it – your very own homemade buttermilk.
Chocolate Extract — for that most pronounced, strong, and more evident chocolate flavor.
Cherry syrup — For the filling, I have used the combination of water + sugar + Maraschino cherries to layer up my eggless black forest cake.
Whipped cream — This is our frosting that is made up of heavy whipping cream, powdered sugar, and cream of tartar. You can make whipped cream with cornstarch and milk powder too. Please follow this link for more details.
I have used a little less whipped cream to frost my pastry because I wanted the cherry flavor to stand out and not mask the original taste with layers of whipped cream. However, you can dress up the pastry to your liking.
How to make an Eggless Black Forest Pastry
Please scroll down to the recipe card at the bottom of this page for a complete list of ingredients with detailed measurements and a step-by-step pictorial guide to making an eggless black forest cake recipe.
In the recipe card below, you will find the following steps plus the tips and variations to make a delicious black forest cake:
- How to make the Pastry Batter
- Bake the Sheet Cake
- Prepare the Cherry syrup
- Make the whipped cream frosting
- How to assemble the Black forest pastry.
Expert Tips & Variations
Efficient de-molding — For an easy de-molding of the cake from the baking tray/ pan, always remember to spray your baking tray/ pan generously with oil, followed by lining it with parchment paper.
Mix the batter until just well-blended — Do not over mix the batter as this may over aerate it, resulting in the gluten formation. Over mixing may make the cake lose its texture and become more dense and chewy. Mix until all the dry ingredients have combined well. Just the right amount of mixing will help the batter retain the air needed for the cake to rise.
Cherry syrup for the moistest pastries — To attain the authentic store-bought flavor of the black forest pastry, let the cake layers soaked in a generous amount of cherry syrup.
Chill the cake for clean slicing — Chill this easy eggless black forest cake recipe in the refrigerator for about 30 mins to get a perfectly clean slice of the black forest pastry.
Square cake pan — Use a 6-inch cake pan or an 8-inch cake pan for the best-baked pastry.
A foresight before layering — A few things have to be kept in mind before you begin with the layering.
- Let the cake cool completely before layering.
- Let the cake rest in the sheet pan for about 10 mins to ensure it is cooled down.
- Invert the cake onto the wire cooling rack to finish cooling evenly on all surfaces.
- Let the cake rest for about 5 mins to ensure an easy peeling off from the parchment paper.
- Do not frost the cake while it is still warm, as this will melt the frosting away, and it will turn into a mess.
Go creative with layering — My black forest pastry is a simple preparation with just two layers. However, you can go creative and experiment with as many layers as possible. Just keep layering and frosting as you keep adding a layer.
For a vegan option — You may replace the buttermilk with vegan buttermilk to turn this recipe into a vegan one.
For this, you can use 1 cup + 1 extra tablespoon of Vegan Milk + 1 tablespoon of vinegar. Mix it well and let it rest for about 10 mins. You have your freshly prepared Vegan buttermilk ready.
Let Me Know What You Think!
This eggless black forest pastry is a rich and extremely decadent dessert that your whole family will love. Try this delicious dessert for your special events and impress all of your friends and family.
Should you make Eggless black forest pastry, please let me know your thoughts by sharing your comment below.
And don’t forget to share it with your family and friends.
Some other yummy eggless recipes that you’ll love:
Eggless Black Forest Pastry
- – – Chocolate Shavings
- – – Maraschino cherries
STEP #1: MAKE THE PASTRY BATTER
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease a 9.5 x 5-inch baking pan, line it with parchment paper, grease the parchment paper, and set it aside. Sift together the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt in a large mixing bowl.
- Set it aside.
- In a bowl of a stand mixer, whisk together oil, sugar, and chocolate extract.
- Whisk until everything is well blended.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients.
- Mix until everything is fully incorporated.
STEP #2: BAKE THE SHEET CAKE
- Pour the batter into the prepared baking pans. Tap the pans on the counter a couple of times to release any trapped air.
- Bake the eggless black forest cake in the preheated oven for about 15-18 minutes or until the toothpick comes out almost clean ( with a few moist crumbs attached). Remove the cake from the oven and set it on the counter to cool for about 10-15 minutes.
- The cake loaves are freshly baked; therefore, it needs time to set. Keep the cake in its pan for 10 minutes. Then carefully remove the cake from the pan and let it cool on a rack for an hour or completely cooled.
STEP #3: MAKE THE CHERRY SYRUP
- While the cake is cooling, let’s prepare the cherry syrup for our eggless black forest pastry. Combine water and sugar in a pan. Bring it to a boil over medium heat. Add sliced maraschino cherries and allow the syrup to simmer for 4-5 minutes on the lowest heat setting. After the desired cooking time is over, remove it from heat and set it on the counter to cool.
Step #4: MAKE THE WHIPPED CREAM FROSTING
- Before you begin with the recipe, chill the mixing bowl and whisk in the refrigerator for 30 minutes. Or you can place it in the freezer for at least 10 minutes to chill.
- Then add heavy whipping cream, powdered sugar, and cream of tartar to the bowl and whisk until stiff peaks form.
STEP #5: ASSEMBLE THE BLACK FOREST PASTRY
- Once the cake and cherry syrup has completely cooled, it’s time to assemble the pastry—divide the cake into two equal parts.
- Transfer one of the cake halves on a plate and generously spoon the cherry syrup all over the cake.
- Now spread /pipe 1 cup of whipped cream frosting over the saturated cake in an even layer.
- Even out the surface of the frosting.
- Arrange the sliced cherries all over the cake.
- Place another half of the cake over the cherries, spoon the remaining syrup all over the cake.
- Frost the top of the cake with a single layer of whipped cream frosting.
- Sprinkle chocolate shavings on top of the whipped cream.
- Cut the cake into pastry-sized slices.
- Pipe the remaining whipped cream on top of each sliced eggless black forest pastry, garnish with maraschino cherries, and you are all set!