If you’re craving something sweet that is quick, easy, and delicious, then my dear friends, you have come to the right place. Incredibly moist, rich, and decadent eggless vanilla cupcakes topped with a luscious whipped cream frosting are perfect for birthdays, special occasions, or just for that special day in your life!
Plus, these eggless cupcakes come together in less than 30 minutes to satisfy those dessert cravings.
Do you love fruity cupcakes?
If the answer is YES, then you’re straight-up going to L-O-V-E these eggless vanilla cupcakes.
I think there is something extraordinary about a cupcake that fascinates me.
Maybe there is something special about peeling off that liner before eating a cupcake that’s so satisfying or the swirls of frostings that beautify a cupcake is what makes my mouth water!
Seriously, I can’t decide which one is my favorite! What’s your favorite?
Either way, these cuties are absolutely fantastic.
Honestly, if I had to bake one dessert for my kids, it has to be cupcakes. Why, because first of all, they are so cute,
- Perfect portions sized
- Can be created with different colors,
- Flavor combinations are endless, and
- Not to mention all those pretty frostings. Heavenly!
Eggless baking is something that either discourages people or ultimately directs them away. But trust me, egg-free cakes or cupcakes can turn out as good as the real stuff with just the right ingredients.
And this recipe is one of those! It did require a lot of trial and error or my part. But over the years of practice, I can confidently say this eggless vanilla cupcake is my favorite go-to recipe that is fail-proof and ultimate.
It has been tested and tried in my kitchen endless time – every time with perfect results. Serve it to your friends, who relish cakes baked with eggs, and they would never tell the difference.
So here is my recipe for the perfect, most effortless, moist and easy eggless vanilla cupcakes. The best part is that these cupcakes have no artificial colors (minus the frosting) or flavors—just the pure taste of vanilla and a secret ingredient in every bite.
I had initially published this eggless vanilla cupcake recipe in 2015. Yes, it’s a pretty old one.
But then I decided it demanded a face-lift. Here I am with a step by step tutorial on making egg-free vanilla cupcakes with better pictures and all the tips and variations.
Ingredients for Eggless Vanilla cupcakes!
These eggless cupcakes use basic ingredients to create tender and moist cupcakes, and they are-
» All-purpose flour- Flour provides structure to our cupcakes. Make sure you measure the flour correctly. I personally use a cup measurement to measure the flour. Then use a knife to scrape off the excess to get an even cup measurement.
» Baking powder – a chemical leavening agent adds bubbles to the batter that helps our cupcakes to expand (rise) during baking. It also gives these cupcakes the feather-like texture it needs.
» Salt – It balances the sweetness in the cupcakes and deepens the flavor.
» Sugar – well, of course! How can we forget about that? Sugar helps make our cupcakes tender, adds sweetness, and tons of flavor.
» Butter – Butter tenderizes our cupcakes. Use soften unsalted butter. Soft butter can properly cream with sugar.
» Milk – it provides moisture to the batter.
» The secret ingredient – is unsweetened, unflavored applesauce. It is an excellent substitute for eggs in baking. Not only it helps bind all the ingredients, but it also lends a wonderful texture and adds tons of moisture to our cupcakes. You don’t have to add a whole lot; 1/4 will do the trick.
» Vanilla essence – It will add richness and a nice vanilla flavor to these eggless cupcakes.
» Yogurt – Helps lighten the cupcakes and produces a moist and tender crumb.
» Now, do you need a simple frosting to top these vanilla cupcakes? Try making a super easy and stable frosting with heavy whipping cream, powdered sugar, cornstarch, and agar-agar powder.
How to make Eggless Vanilla Cupcakes?
Preheat the oven at @350 degrees F.
Line your cupcake pan with cupcake liners and set aside.
In a large mixing bowl, sift together all-purpose flour, salt, and baking powder. Make sure you spoon and level the flour from the container.
Combine sugar and butter in a separate mixing bowl. Beat the two until butter turns pale yellow, light, and fluffy.
While beating the mixture, use a rubber spatula to scrape the bowl’s sides a couple of times.
Add milk, yogurt, and vanilla essence to the sugar mix. Mix to combine.
Add in the sifted dry ingredients and beat until a smooth batter forms. Do not over mix the batter.
Mix just until the wet and dry ingredients are incorporated together, and no dry flour is visible in sight. Overmixing will result in dense- textured cupcakes. So if you are in doubt, mix the ingredients by hand.
Add in the secret ingredients – unsweetened applesauce. Gently fold the applesauce until incorporated. Be careful not to over mix the batter.
Using a spatula, scrape the bowl’s bottom and sides and make sure everything is thoroughly combined and smooth.
The batter may look curdled at this point. Don’t worry; it’s absolutely fine. This curdling of ingredients will not affect the cupcakes.
To prevent liners from sticking to cupcakes, spray them with nonstick cooking spray or brush with a little melted butter.
Use an ice cream scoop and add the eggless vanilla cupcake batter to the lined cupcake pan.
Fill each mold 2/3 of the way up with the batter. Give them some room to rise.
After filling the cupcake liners with batter, tap the pan on the kitchen counter a couple of times. This tapping will help get rid of air bubbles.
Bake the eggless vanilla cupcakes in the preheated oven for about 18-20 minutes or until the toothpick comes out clean.
The baking time was 20 minutes for me. But every oven is different; therefore, keep a watchful eye on the cupcakes and make sure they don’t burn.
Remove from the oven and allow the cupcakes to cool for 10 minutes in the pan. After the resting time is over, remove the cupcakes from the pan.
Cool them on a cooling rack.
What kind of frosting Should I use to frost my eggless cupcakes?
As for the frosting, I have topped these eggless vanilla cupcakes with homemade whipped cream frosting. This whipped cream frosting is unbelievably creamy, fresh, and delicious!
Pipe this homemade whipped cream frosting over the cooled cupcakes, decorate with fresh fruits or sprinkles, and serve.
I have used whipped cream frosting to frost many of my cupcakes on the blog, such as Eggless mango cake, Eggless pineapple pastry, Eggless key lime cupcakes, and many more.
Give it a try, and I am sure you will like it.
Recipe Tips to make the Best Eggless Vanilla Cupcakes
» Baking a cake is not complicated at all. But it does require some planning and forethought. So, here are some tips for creating the best eggless vanilla cupcakes without fail.
» Follow the recipe carefully – Measure your ingredients correctly. If the ingredients are not measured well, cupcakes will not turn out as expected.
» Don’t skip the sifting of ingredients – This will not only keep the lumps out, but it also helps to incorporate air into the flour. Sifting results in fluffy cupcakes.
» Ingredients should be at room temperature – Cake batter will blend easily when all the ingredients are at a similar temperature, and the cupcakes will have a uniform texture. Make sure you set out your butter and yogurt 45 minutes ahead of time before mixing the ingredients.
» Makes sure you use the unsweetened, unflavored applesauce. If you only have sweetened applesauce on hand, reduce the sugar in the recipe by 2 tablespoons.
» Prevent over mixing – To avoid overmixing, wet and dry ingredients need to be mixed separately before combining. Overmixing will produce dense cupcakes. When in doubt, combine the ingredients by hand.
» Use an ice cream scoop to fill your cupcake liners.
» Tap your cupcake pan a couple of times on the counter before putting it in the oven. This will bring the trapped air bubbles to the surface.
» Be patient – keep that oven door closed during the entire baking time. Cupcakes require consistent heat to rise. Therefore, checking again and again on how your cupcakes are doing in the early stages of baking can cause the cupcakes to sink.
» Do the toothpick test – To tell if the cake is done, always perform the toothpick test. Meaning, insert a toothpick in the center of the cupcake. If it comes out clean with a few crumbs attached, it is ready. If not, then your cupcakes need a few extra minutes in the oven.
» Let the eggless vanilla cupcakes rest – Once baked and out of the oven, let the cupcakes cool for 8-10 minutes in the baking pan.
» Frosting cupcakes – Allow the cupcakes to cool completely before you begin frosting.
Can I replace applesauce?
You sure can! Applesauce adds a ton of moisture and produces a wonderful soft crumb. But if you are not an applesauce love, you can swap applesauce for an egg.
Can I replace yogurt?
Of course! Simply swap yogurt with sour cream. It will give the same results.
Let Me Know What You Think!
This eggless cupcake recipe is genuinely the simplest recipe, I have ever made.
Should you make these eggless vanilla cupcake or any variation of it, please let me know your thoughts by sharing your comment below.
And don’t forget to share it with your family and friends.
Craving for more, try my other eggless delicacies –
|This recipe post has been updated from the archives, first published on July 19th, 2015|
Eggless Vanilla Cupcakes
- 1 cup Sugar
- ¼ cup Unsalted Butter or oil
- ½ cup Milk
- ¼ cup Unsweetened applesauce
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla essence or Almond essence
- ½ cup Yogurt
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Heat the oven 15 minutes before baking.
- In a large mixing bowl, sift together all-purpose flour, salt, and baking powder. Make sure you spoon and level the flour from the container. Set aside.
- Combine sugar and butter in a separate mixing bowl. Beat the two until butter turns pale yellow, light, and fluffy.While beating the mixture, use a rubber spatula to scrape the bowl’s sides a couple of times.
- Add milk, yogurt, and vanilla essence to the sugar mix. Mix to combine.
- Add in the sifted dry ingredients and beat until a smooth batter forms. Do not over mix the batter.
- Add in the secret ingredients – unsweetened applesauce. Gently fold the applesauce until incorporated. Be careful not to over mix the batter. Using a spatula, scrape the bowl’s bottom and sides and make sure everything is thoroughly combined and smooth.
- To prevent liners from sticking to cupcakes, spray them with nonstick cooking spray or brush with a little melted butter.
- Use an ice cream scoop and add the eggless vanilla cupcake batter to the lined cupcake pan. Fill each mold 2/3 of the way up with the batter. Give them some room to rise.
- After filling the cupcake liners with batter, tap the pan on the kitchen counter a couple of times. This tapping will help get rid of air bubbles. Do not let the batter-filled-cupcake-pan sit on the counter for long.
- Bake the eggless vanilla cupcakes in the preheated oven for about 18-20 minutes or until the toothpick comes out clean. Do not overbake. Overbaking will result in dry cupcakes.
- The baking time was 20 minutes for me. But every oven is different; therefore, keep a watchful eye on the cupcakes and make sure they don’t burn.
- Remove from the oven and allow the cupcakes to cool for 10 minutes in the pan. After the resting time is over, remove the cupcakes from the pan. Cool them on a cooling rack.
- Allow the cupcakes to cool completely, before unwrapping the liner. Unwrap the liner and reveal the inner beauty.
- You can bake a cake out of this recipe. This cake is baked in a 8" x 1½" round cake pan. It's a thin cake pan; therefore, bake the cake for 30-35 minutes @ 350 degrees F.
- Or until the toothpick comes out clean. Top with your favorite frosting and enjoy!
- This recipe also bakes into a delicious 6-inch round cake.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes or until the toothpick comes out clean. This recipe has not been experimented with a 8 X 3 inch round cake pan.