Lunch hour and all I can think about is a one pot meal recipe. Something Rice-y, nutritious and quick to prepare- Chana dal pulao. Rice combined with chana dal and spices is a most delicious combination of delicate flavors and textures. Though the recipe time states 3 HOURS but if you have little time on hand you can speed up the process by pressure cooking the dal. Sounds promising right…??
To pressure cook chana dal – Wash and clean dal, pressure cook it by adding salt and turmeric powder for 2 whistles. Once cooked drain and save its water – use it to cook pulao. Why let all the protein go waste by draining its water. After sauteing onions, stir in the spices, add water, rice and then mix in the dal. Cook as stated below. This is the kind of food my family loves – quick, simple and packed with protein richness and unique flavors. The aroma of dried mint leaves added at the end will add more flavor to this recipe.
According to one’s preference you can always ease up on Garam Masala powder and mint leaves in the recipe. Try out this Chana dal pulao recipe and make your taste buds feel goood !!
Are we friend's yet? For recipe ideas, do follow @ruchiskitchen on -
For recipe ideas, do follow @ruchiskitchen on -
Don’t forget to ⭐ rate the recipe and leave me a comment below!
Chana Dal Pulao
- 1/2 cup Chana dal OR Bengal Gram
- 2 cups Basmati Rice
- 1 small Chopped Onions
- 1 teaspoon Chopped Garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon Cumin seeds
- 1/4 - 1/2 teaspoon Red chili powder
- 1/2 tablespoon Garam Masala Powder
- 6-7 pieces of Cloves
- 2 pieces of Bay leaves
- 2 tablespoon Oil
- Salt to taste
- 4 cups of Water
- Assemble all the ingredients. Wash chana dal of all the grit and dust and soak it for 2-3 hours in warm water. If pressure cooking the dal - then clean dal and pressure cook in 1 cup of water. Add salt and 1 teaspoon of turmeric and pressure cook for 2 whistles. Dal will be soft but not fully cooked. If choosing this option then add the dal once you have added rice to the boiling water.
- Chop onions and drain the soaked dal.
- In a pan heat oil, add cumin seeds, cloves, garlic, onions and bay leaves.
- Saute until onions are transparent, then add chana dal and mix it well.
- Stir in all the dry spices one by one EXCEPT dried mint leaves.
- Give it a good stir and add 4 cups of water. Bring it to a boil. Meanwhile clean and wash rice of all the dirt.
- Add washed rice to this boiling water and bring it to a boil. Let it cook for 3-5 minutes.
- When rice rises to the surface and water is somewhat reduced, cover it with a lid. Lower the flame and allow to get it cook in it's own steam for another 2 minutes. Take it off the heat. Sprinkle dried mint leaf powder and cover it again. Let the pulao soak in all the flavor of dried mint leaves.
- Warm and delicious chana dal pulao is ready. Serve it hot with raita or chutney of your choice.