Super easy and flavorful Instant Carrot Chili Pickle! This crunchy and spicy pickle is prepared with fresh carrots, chilies and flavored with aromatic Indian spices. So fresh and delicious!!
Hello, 2017 and a very happy new year to all !! After the long winter-break, moments of relaxation and merriment, I am back to blogging and soooo looking forward to a year full of healthy, yummy and innovative recipes.
And what would be a better way to start the new year with my favorite fresh Instant Carrot Chili Pickle that I happened to make over the holidays.
Instant Carrot Chili Pickle is a staple in my house and is a perfect accompaniment to any Indian meal. Pair it with your favorite dish and add zing to any meal.
This recipe comes from my Mom’s diary who was an excellent cook and made the best pickles in our family. Whenever she visited friends or family, she would carry a bottle of her prepared pickle and would gift them as a simple expression of her love ??.
When the markets were flooded with red carrots** during the brief season of Dec-Jan, my mom would buy carrots, chilies, and turmeric in bulk and make a huge batch of this pickle.
**Back home, this pickle is prepared with red carrots which adds a beautiful color.
Why add turmeric?
Turmeric is the spice that lends a curry its yellow color. It has been used in India for thousands of years as a spice and as a medicinal herb. Besides this turmeric –
- has anti-bacterial and inflammatory properties,
- increases the antioxidant capacity of the body,
- it provides 26 percent of daily manganese needs,
- helps to cure digestive ailments,
- treats skin diseases, wounds,
- and liver conditions.
Not many people make pickles/achar at home. Some find it too complicated, and some find it time-consuming as it requires too much energy. But trust me, besides some muscle work of slicing the ingredients, it’s simple and straightforward.
How to make Instant Carrot Chili Pickle?
Allow the veggies to dry for an hour or more under the bright sun. Make sure the veggies are thoroughly dry. There should be no moisture left.
Start by slicing the fresh ingredients. Heat oil and toss all the spices in that heated oil. Cook for a while. Keep stirring and be careful not to burn the spice mix. Finally, add the sliced carrots, chilies and turmeric to this oil. Cook everything for 2-3 minutes on medium flame until soft. Take the pan off the flame. Store in an airtight container and store. That’s it. Quick and simple. Take my word for it.
Tips to consider!
- Test the chilies before adding to the pickle. If you find them too spicy, de-seed the chilies, slice and add to the pickle.
- Adjust the spice level as per taste.
- Mustard oil can be used a substitute to vegetable oil.
- In winters, yellow turmeric can be found in your local Indian grocery stores. If you can’t find them, feel free to leave that out and continue with the rest of the recipe.
Follow the step by step pictures below and give this simple pickle a try. Pair it alongside with your favorite meal and take it to a whole next level!
Imagine a bowl of hot rice, dal along with this pickle….drool, drool. This pickle will satisfy all your hot and spicy pickles craving. In one word, this pickle is irresistible!!
Let me know in the comments if you try this recipe. If you have any questions, I would be happy to answer them. Would love to hear from you. ?
Carrot and Chili Pickle
- 500 grams Washed and peeled carrots
- 250 grams Washed and cleaned Chilies
- 50 grams Yellow Turmeric
- 75 grams White Turmeric
- 1.5 tablespoon Rai Kuria (cracked mustard seeds)
- 1/2 tablespoon Crushed black mustard seeds
- 1.5 teaspoon Degi Mirch or Red chili Powder (adjust according to taste)
- 1 teaspoon Haldi (Turmeric powder)
- 1 teaspoon Fenugreek seeds powder
- 1 teaspoon Crushed fennel seeds
- 1 teaspoon Sugar
- 2 teaspoon Salt (adjust to taste)
- A pinch of Citric acid (optional)
- A pinch of Hing (asafoetida)
- 1 teaspoon Kala namak (Black salt)
- 225 grams Oil
- 64 ML Vinegar (used as a preservative and flavoring agent)
- Wash and clean carrots and chilies.
- Allow the veggies to air dry for an hour or more.
- Slice them lengthwise.
- Peel and wash haldi.
- Pat them dry.
- Slice them lengthwise.
- Assemble all the dry spices.
- Heat oil in a pan.
- Add spices to the hot oil.
- Mix and allow the oil-spice mix to sizzle for a minute on a medium flame. Keep stirring and be careful not to burn the spice mix.
- Add sliced carrots and cook for 2-3 minutes on medium flame until soft. Take the pan off the flame.
- Add Haldi (turmerics).
- Add salt and vinegar. Please do not skip vinegar. It's used as a preservative and flavoring agent in this pickle.
- Add sliced chilies.
- And mix until well blended. Adjust seasonings and mix again.
- Cover the pan and let the chilies soak in all the flavor. Let it sit for 20 -30 minutes.
- Transfer the achar to a clean jar. If needed, heat more oil and pour over the achar. Pickle needs to be covered in oil at all times.
- Stays fresh for 2-3 months at room temperature. Yields - 2 - 16 oz jars - appx. 1 kg pickle.
Some basics tips about pickle!
Disclaimer: Nutritional information provided below is approximate. Variations may exist due to the ingredients/brands used. Please refer to a Registered Dietitian or Nutritionists if you have any health issues.
Calories: 11kcal | Fat: 1g | Sodium: 232mg