Today’s recipe is a great accompaniment to any Indian meal. It can be enjoyed at any time of the day, whether be breakfast, lunch or dinner. Boondi comes from the word ‘boond’ that means drop, therefore boondi refers to small drops/balls of fried chickpea flour. It’s a 5 minute recipe that is quick and easy to prepare. Boondi raita is a delicious dip prepared with crunchy and crispy boondis that are mixed with homemade curd (yogurt) and later flavored with spices.
In India, there are many varieties of raitas but boondi raita is the most favorite among all. Whether be a spicy biryani or a paratha, this goes very well with Indian meals. Pretty straight forward recipe – store bought boondi is soaked in water for a while until it swells up. It is then combined with beaten curd and flavored with spices. Follow this link if you would like to make boondi at home.
If there are green veggies for dinner then my kids have a unanimous call – “Mom can we have BOONDI RAITA, please?” And if there is no boondi raita ready, they will just whip up the curd add crunchy boondis and enjoy it as is. Crunchy and savory boondi raita matches up to everyone’s taste buds. So why wait, enjoy this low fat yogurt dip flavored with boondi and spices.
- Soak boondi in lukewarm water while we prep up for raita.
- Take curd in a bowl and whisk till it smooth and thick.
- Add salt and other spices and mix thoroughly.
- Drain soaked boondi and add it to curd, fold in carefully as boondi is soft at this point. Add milk or water to dilute the raita.
- Enjoy with Puris or paranthas (Indian breads).