Mexican-inspired Instant Pot Fiesta Rice is a flavorful and yummy side dish that comes together in less than 30 minutes and tastes fantastic. Every bite you take feels like a fiesta in your mouth!
Calling all rice lovers! Is eating rice a regular affair at your place then this Instant Pot fiesta rice is just for you. It only takes 20 minutes of my time to cook this delicious, and healthy dish. Not to mention it’s all made in one Pot – Instant Pot.
Everyone has their own way of making Mexican Fiesta rice. I like mine with corn, black beans, red bell peppers, and lime.
It’s super yum and makes a perfect side dish with Mexican style corn soup.
My love/inspiration for Fiesta rice started after our recent trip to Mexico. Visiting Mexico has been on our list for so long. Every year it got pushed back due to something coming up. But this last winter, we finally took our family vacation to Cancun, Mexico and enjoyed every single moment of this unforgettable trip.
Cancun has everything you can dream for in a vacation. It’s gorgeous beaches, the sparkling blue water, fantastic weather and not to forget the lip-smacking cuisine.
Mexican cuisine is delicious, from the tasty burritos to the crunchy tacos. Everything is perfectly balanced and has just the right amount of spice as well.
One of the most traditional dishes within Mexican cuisine is Fiesta rice. During our entire stay, along with other Mexican delicacies, we ate fiesta rice every day at the buffet. We instantly fell in love with it. It was well- balanced with subtle earthy flavors.
On our return, my kids demanded the same rice. So, I tried to put my best efforts in to replicate the recipe, and to my astonishment, it was as good as the one we had eaten in Cancun. My family loved it!
WHY IN INSTANT POT?
Because I love one-pot meals and lately, I have been cooking my lentils, soup, rice, and curries with the convenience of the Instant Pot. It’s a great multi-cooker which offers the comfort of hands-free cooking. A real game changer in the kitchen.
Making Fiesta rice in an Instant Pot is a breeze. Simply saute your ingredients, add rice, water, set the timer, and lock the lid in place. Enjoy your free time for something else and return when the timer BEEPS!
No mess, and no extensive cleaning required. This is truly a no-fuss recipe. Once you make your rice in an Instant Pot, you will never look back.
WHAT IS THIS RECIPE MADE UP OF?
This Instant Pot fiesta rice is packed with corn, black beans, red bell pepper, rice, and fabulous flavors. Black Beans are mostly associated with Mexican cuisine and are often served in enchiladas, soup, and tacos. They are high in magnesium, iron, folate, and minerals.
Black beans do share some nutrients in common with corn. Like corn, it contains healthy vitamins and a wide variety of nutrients.
Corn, itself is a natural antioxidant and a good source of fiber. Add it to any meal for a delicious, wholesome high-fiber diet.
For that perfect crunch, I have added red bell pepper to my rice. It’s sweet flavor and crunchy texture adds an instant zing to any dish. Besides texture, it provides a boost of nutrition too!
All in all, this vegan fiesta rice is a nutritional powerhouse.
YOU WILL LOVE EVERYTHING ABOUT THIS RECIPE. IT’S –
- Gluten-free, Vegan
- and a budget-friendly meal.
This one-pot meal is a new addition to our family’s weeknight dinner rotation.
Check out my Friend Tatiana’s blog on how to make delicious desserts in Instant Pot!
Do give it a try and hope you enjoy it as much as we do! If you happen to make this salad, please comment below and leave your feedback. Would love to hear from you.
Are we friend's yet? Let's connect on -
Don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave me a comment below!
Instant Pot Fiesta Rice
- 1 cup Basmati Rice
- 1.5 cups Water or Vegetable stock
- 1 medium Diced, Onion
- 2 cloves of Minced Garlic
- 2 small Diced tomatoes
- 3/4 cup Drained and washed black beans
- 1/2 cup Drained and washed corn kernels
- 3/4 cup Chopped red bell pepper
- 1 teaspoon Cumin powder
- 1 teaspoon Crushed red chili flakes
- 2 teaspoons Taco seasoning
- Salt to taste
- 1.5 tablespoons Oil
- I have used Basmati rice for this recipe. Feel free to experiment. Other great options include brown rice or short grain rice. They all work pretty well with this recipe.
- Wash and rinse basmati rice until the water runs clear. Set it aside.
- Press the 'Saute' button on the Instant Pot. Once it displays hot, add oil. To the hot oil, add onion and garlic.
- Saute for about 3-4 minutes until the onions turn translucent.
- Add tomatoes and cook until soft. Instead of chopped tomatoes, you can add tomato puree too.
- Then add the black beans, corn, and spices. I have used a can of store-bought black beans and corn for my recipe. I highly recommend that you always rinse and drain the beans/corn before adding it to any recipe.
- Pour vegetable stock or water to the pot.
- Add washed rice and stir to combine.
- Finally, add red bell peppers. They come is a wide variety of colors. My favorite is red bell pepper. But feel free to substitute any colored bell pepper for the red one.
- Close the Instant Pot with its lid. Turn the venting knob to the sealing position. Now press the 'Manual' button. Cook on 'High Pressure' for 6 minutes.
- Once the Instant Pot beeps, do the QPR (quick pressure release). As the safety pin drops down, open the lid.
- Allow the steam to escape and let the rice sit uncovered for about 5 minutes. Then gently fluff the rice with a fork. Serve hot with Sour Cream, fresh Salsa or guacamole.
- Stuff leftover vegan fiesta rice in bell peppers and bake
- Fill your burritos or tacos with fiesta rice
- Make tortilla wraps
- Fiesta Rice tastes amazing in fajitas
- or just eat them with some refried beans. Endless possibilities.