I am huge Thai food lover and every time I crave for Thai food, we end up at our favorite restaurant and order their Thai basil tofu and it is delicious! Honestly speaking, I am not an avid tofu-eater, but somehow their tofu preparation I love a lot. It’s grilled and then sauteed in sauces..yummmm!! There is a myth that Thai food is spicy but believe me it’s not and if you ask your server, they will cook it up for you according to your spice level.
ADD PANEER/TOFU INSTEAD OF CHICKEN AND MAKE IT A VEGETARIAN BASIL PANEER/TOFU RECIPE.
Presenting, my way of making Thai basil chicken. This dish gets its name from the basil that is used – Thai Basil. As compared to other basil varieties, Thai basil has small narrow leaves and is slightly spicy.
I have a small indoor – window herb garden and my South facing window is full of herb planters (mint, Holy basil, Thai basil, curry plant, coriander leaves and many more). In summers I hunt for plants that I can grow indoors, and this way I can enjoy fresh all year long.
Now on to the recipe!
What I like about this recipe is that it’s super easy to make and uses minimal ingredients. A delicious recipe with a perfect balance between sweet and spicy! After mixing the spices this dish will become liquid-y, leave it as is – Thai Basil Chicken is often saucy and juicy.
Very versatile recipe and can be customized to your liking. Feel free to use tofu instead of chicken. If using tofu instead of chicken – cut tofu in thin strips. Slightly coat in cornflour and grill it on a warm griddle until crisp. Rest of the recipe remains the same.
Try this yummy Thai chicken infused with aromatic Thai basil and serve it hot with perfectly steamed rice. All in all a delicious mid-week-quick-fix dinner. Do give this recipe a try and let your taste buds go wild!!
Thai Basil Chicken Recipe
- 4-6 pieces of Chicken or minced chicken
- 4-6 cloves of Garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup Roughly chopped Onions
- 1/2 cup Chopped Bell pepper (any color - green, yellow or Red)
- 2-1/2 tablespoon Hoisin Sauce
- 1 teaspoon Brown Sugar or Regular sugar
- 1.5 tablespoon Soy sauce
- 1/2 -1 cup Fresh Basil leaves
- 1 teaspoon Crushed Red Chili pepper
- 1 teaspoon White Pepper/Black pepper powder
- Salt to taste
- Clean and wash chicken. Cut them into cubes and assemble all the ingredients.
- The main ingredient for this recipe is BASIL. Clean and wash basil. Let it dry and cut the basil leaves from its stem. According to one's preference you can even chop basil leaves and add it to the recipe.
- Heat olive oil and add minced garlic to it.
- Once garlic starts to sizzle add chopped onions and sauté for a minute.
- Stir in bell pepper and sauté on a medium flame for a minute.
- Add chicken and mix.
- Stir and cook chicken till is tender and cooked through.
- Combine soy sauce and hoisin sauce in a bowl. Mix well, set it aside.
- To check if chicken is done, spoon out a piece and if it shreds easily - it is cooked. Add the sauces.
- Mix in brown sugar, salt and stir. After adding sugar, chicken and onion mixture will become bubbly. It's just fine, keep stirring till the sauces are well blended and the color changes to dark brown.
- Adjust spices and take it off the flame. Time for the star ingredient. Drop in basil leaves and mix it gently. Thai Basil Chicken is often saucy, so leave it as is. Sauce will thicken up.
- Serve immediately along with steamed rice.
- Enjoy this flavorful Thai basil chicken recipe.
Disclaimer: Nutritional information provided below is approximate. Variations may exist due to the ingredients/brands used. Please refer to a Registered Dietitian or Nutritionists if you have any health issues.