I have to admit that as a kid I never relished Almond Halwa or Badam ka Halwa , somehow the thought of eating an almond made me feel uneasy. But now almonds are a part of my daily routine. From eating soaked almonds in the morning to drinking almond milk – it’s my favorite.
But just like me my kids too hate almonds therefore every morning I add 2 teaspoon of powdered almonds to their milk along with their cocoa mix and later strain it. This way they drink a healthy and nutritious milk without a huge fuss. 😉
RECIPE DETAIL – Begin by soaking the almonds first. Best would be to soak them overnight but if you are short on time, soak them in warm water for 2-3 hours and that will work just fine. Almond Halwa or Badam ka Halwa
Almond skin is great for health but for this recipe I have removed the skin off the almonds and discarded it. Removing skin is optional, feel free to keep them on and grind almonds to a fine and smooth paste.
From here on the recipe is all about sauteing and cooking the almond paste. Cook until all the moisture dries up – add mawa, sugar and saffron mixed with milk. Saffron will add an aromatic flavor and rich golden color to this halwa.
Sugar and saffron- milk mix will make the halwa watery and runny, no worries. Keep stirring to prevent it from sticking to the bottom of the pan, soon the mixture will become thick – smooth and silky badam halwa is ready. Garnish with nuts and enjoy!!
CAN’T MAKE IT NOW, PIN IT FOR LATER?
Did you make this recipe?
Tag @Ruchiskitchen on
Facebook | Instagram | Pinterest | Twitter
With your pictures, I would love to see your yummy creations!
Almond Halwa or Badam ka Halwa
- 1 cup Badam/ Almonds
- 3/4 cup Superfine Sugar
- 1/4 cup Mawa
- 2.5 tablespoon Ghee
- 1 teaspoon Cardamom Powder
- 1/4 cup Milk to grind Almonds
- 3 tablespoon Milk
- Few strands of Saffron
- Soak almonds for 3-4 hours or overnight.
- Drain water from the almonds, pat them dry and remove their skin.
- Almonds all ready.
- Combine 1/4 cup of milk along with almonds in a mixer.
- Grind them to a fine paste.
- Check almond paste by taking some in your finger - it should be very fine and not grainy.
- Meanwhile soak saffron in 3 tablespoon of warm milk.
- Assemble rest of the ingredients.
- Heat ghee in a kadai or pan.
- Add almond paste and cook on a medium low flame stirring continuously.
- After 10 minutes almond paste will become thick.
- Add mawa...
- Add cardamom powder...
- Add sugar..
- Add saffron infused milk..
- And mix until well blended. Cook for another 10 minutes on low flame until halwa becomes thick.
- Garnish with nuts and enjoy!!