Indian festive and fasting month is about to start. So here is a simple cashew nut sweet delicacy prepared with four simple ingredients. Kaju Katli or Kaju ki burfi is a popular Indian festive sweet prepared with cashews and sugar syrup. Kaju in English means cashews and katli means “slice”- A slice of cashew fudge. Take a bite out of these creamy and soft kaju pieces and you will get a heavenly “melt in your mouth” taste. Whatever be the occasion Holi or Diwali – fasting days or festive occasion this sweet is a hands down winner.
Simple and straightforward recipe. Use cashews at room temperature. Cashew is a soft nut and will grind up nicely if kept at room temperature. Grind them using a coffee grinder as in a mixer you may still find solid chunks here and there.
Powdered cashews are later combined with a two-thread sugar syrup. Two thread means where two wires (thread or taar) of sugar syrup is formed in between your fingers and it’s consistency is pretty thick. This mixture is then cooked until the paste thickens and start to leave the side of the pan.
TIP – Feel free to add 1/2 – 1 tablespoon of milk if the mix feels too dry .
Transfer it to a clean bowl/plate and allow it to cool down completely. Gently grease your hands with ghee and knead the dough into a smooth dough ball. Roll it and using a pizza cutter/knife cut it into diamond- shaped pieces. All time favorite sweet (mithai) is ready to enjoy!! Do give it a try and prepare this sweet delicacy right in the comfort of your kitchen.
Are we friend's yet? For recipe ideas, do follow @ruchiskitchen on -
For recipe ideas, do follow @ruchiskitchen on -
Don’t forget to ⭐ rate the recipe and leave me a comment below!
- 1 cup Powdered Cashews
- 1/2 cup Sugar
- 1/4 cup Water
- 1 teaspoon Cardamom Powder (to sprinkle)
- Few strands of Saffron (to sprinkle)
- 1/2 - 1 tablespoon Milk (optional)
- Use cashews that are at room temperature. Assemble all the ingredients.
- Using a grinder dry grind the cashews to their powdered form.
- They should look exactly like this. Crumbly and all dried up.
- In a heavy bottomed pan mix sugar and water as stated and set it to boil till it becomes thick and forms 2- thread consistency. In this picture sugar syrup is still a one thread consistency.
- Boil for another 5 minutes till it reaches 2-thread consistency.
- Add powdered cashews to the hot sugar syrup.
- Keep mixing till the mixtures leaves the corners of the pan. Cashew mixture should be all dried up and form a thick ball. Feel free to add 1/2 -1 tablespoon of milk if the mix feels too dry .
- Keep kneading and it should like like this - a soft dough. If the dough feels sticky apply some ghee on your hand and work with the dough.
- All worked up cashew dough.
- FIRST METHOD- take a small ball of dough, spread it between two sheets of wax paper and using a rolling pin roll it out. Allow it to cool down for 30 minutes.
- Cut the sides and make it look like a big square. Go ahead and cut diamond shaped pieces and enjoy.
- SECOND METHOD- Transfer the dough to a clean square plate. Smooth out the dough, place kaju katli in referigerator for 30 minutes then cut using a sharp knife. You will get crisp diamond shaped pieces.
- Here is a closer look at the cut pieces of Kaju Katli.
- Kaju Katli is ready. Decorate as you please.
- Sprinkle some cardamom powder, saffron strands and Enjoy.
- This fasting season enjoy this nutty sweet delicacy!!