Few days back I updated a post on how to make homemade mawa and had plenty of mawa left on hand. So here come a easy and simple recipe made just with mawa and sugar. Mawa burfi also known as khoya burfi is a popular sweet during festive season. Prepared with homemade mawa, this burfi is so creamy, moist and delicious that with the first bite you take in you will crave for more. Burfi is another name for milk solids which combined with sugar and nuts creates this popular sweet delicacy.
If using the store bought mawa – grate it first and then add sugar. The secret to this recipe is simple – after adding sugar cook mawa and sugar on a low heat till it becomes a thick dough. If it still feels runny and liquid-y add 1-2 tablespoon milk powder to bring it to that thick dough consistency.
The same recipe can be used to make pedas. Experiment and enjoy different flavors –
- For chocolate burfi – add 1-2 tablespoon of cocoa powder and mix it to the dough, shape like burfi or peda and enjoy.
- For Kesar burfi – add 1-2 teaspoon of saffron strands to the cooking mawa, add sugar and enjoy!!
Mawa Burfi or Khoya burfi
- Assemble: all the ingredients.
- Add ghee to a heavy-bottomed pan. Crumble mawa. Mix and cook for 3-4 minutes on a medium-low flame. Add 1 tablespoon of pistachios and save 1 tablespoon for later.
- Stir in sugar and keep mixing. Do not leave the mawa mixing unattended at any time or it will start sticking to the pan. Add rose essence and mix again.
- As the sugar will start to melt the mixture will become thin. Continue to cook the mixture on a medium-low flame for another 2-3 minutes.
- Keep stirring until all the moisture is absorbed and the mixture comes together like a dough. TIP- If the mixture is still thin and runny, add a teaspoon of milk powder, adjust sugar and mix again.
- Take the pan off the flame and allow it to cool comfortably. Take some dough in your hand knead until smooth and lump-free.
- Grease a tray or a baking tray.
- Transfer mawa mixture to it and smoothen the top and the edges.
- Sprinkle eliachi powder…
- Add the almonds, pistachios, and silver leaf.
- Set it aside until completely cooled. Cut into squares and enjoy!
- Good for 1 week if stored in an airtight container.