Planning to make a quick n easy sweet for the festival season? Then enjoy my version of Paneer burfi which is delicious, rich, super yummy and will just melt away in your mouth.
Looking for a last minute festival sweet then you have landed at the right place. Paneer Burfi is one of the easiest sweets you can prepare during any Indian festival.
My version of paneer burfi is simple and uses just 3 basic ingredients.
As a bonus – if you have a block of store-bought paneer sitting in your refrigerator than it’s a NO COOK BURFI.
Yes.. you heard me right, this burfi can be prepared with store bought paneer too. I will talk about that later in the post.
Paneer + powdered sugar + milk mawa powder is all you need for this recipe.
Prepare paneer as stated below in the recipe. Allow it to sit undisturbed for 30 minutes to an hour. After the desired time, unwrap paneer and knead until smooth. For this recipe, we need just 2 cups of paneer and make sure it has no moisture in it.
Please use dry milk mawa powder for this recipe. If you plan to use fresh mawa then – cook the mixture of mawa and paneer on a low flame until it forms a soft dough.
Substitute for Mawa!
Use Nestle everyday milk powder or Amul milk powder.
Only difference – milk mawa powder is grainy in texture and Nestle everyday milk powder or Amul milk powder are smooth and powdery in texture. Binding everything together will be a piece of cake with dairy milk powder.
- Why use milk powder? – Dry milk/mawa powder will soak all the moisture from paneer and make it easy to work with. Combine all the three ingredients together to form a dough. If need be, extra milk mawa powder can be added, just adjust the sugar level.
- Please use powdered sugar for this recipe.
- If the mixture feels dry and difficult to bind, add few drops of milk and bind.
- You can even shape this burfi as pedas and enjoy.
Making Paneer Burfi with Store-bought Paneer!
- Soak paneer in hot water for 20 – 30 minutes.
- After the desired time, remove from water and pat it dry.
- Crumble paneer into small granules and knead until smooth.
- Follow recipe from STEP 4. Make sure the burfi mixture is smooth and well kneaded.
- Set in tray, cool and enjoy!!
Looking for more sweet recipes, try out –
This festive season pamper your loved ones with paneer burfi and if you happen to make it then drop me a line below. If you have any questions I would be happy to answer them.
Are we friend's yet? Let's connect on -
Don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave me a comment below!
- 2 cups Crumbled Paneer
- 1/4 cup + 3 tablespoon Powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup Dry milk mawa powder
- 2 teaspoon Cardamom Powder to sprinkle on top
- 1/4 teaspoon Saffron strands
- 1 teaspoon Crushed Pistachios (or nuts of your choice)
- Boil 2 liter milk in a large vessel. When it comes to a boil add 1/2 cup of lemon juice or vinegar. As soon as the milk curdles...
- Take it off the flame and strain it through a muslin cloth. Wash paneer under cold water to remove the acidic taste of lemon juice.
- Squeeze out all the water and let paneer sit for 30 minutes - 1 hour, undisturbed.
- Remove it from the cloth and crumble it up.
- Milk mawa powder is dried form of mawa. It's in fine powdered form and can be found at any supermarket fridge section. In US it can be found in any Indian grocery store.
- Assemble rest of the ingredients. Milk mawa powder.
- Since I had no powdered sugar on hand I have crushed the regular sugar to its powdered form.
- Sugar must look like this - white powder.
- In a large bowl add paneer, crushed sugar and...
- Add Milk mawa powder.
- Mix it up.
- Begin kneading the mixture, soon it will start to come together and look just as its shown in the picture.
- Keep kneading and form a ball out of the mixture. If the mixture feels dry and difficult to bind, add few drops of milk. Same way IF the mixture feels gooey - extra milk mawa powder can be added; just adjust the sugar level.
- All worked up paneer burfi mixture.
- Grease a bowl and place mixture in it. Using a spoon spread it around and even out the surface.
- Or use a baking pan to make this burfi.
- Sprinkle cardamom powder, saffron strands and crushed nuts of your choice.
- Place it in the refrigerator for 30 minutes - 1 hour. After the desired time, cut in squares and enjoy.
- To get a solid block of burfi, set burfi overnight in the fridge and cut cubes in the morning.
- If the weather is hot and humid then store burfi in the fridge. It's good for 2 - 3 weeks in the refrigerator. If it's winter, burfi can stay outside on the kitchen counter.