Vrat wale aloo or vrat ke rasewale aloo recipe. Nothing fancy but a simple and basic dish prepared in every household during fasting period. Boiled and cubed potatoes are combined with freshly grated tomatoes and flavored with spices. Usually paired up with Kuttu and Singhare ke atte ki Poori to make a complete meal. Along with sabudana, sawa ke chawal and amaranth flour (rajgira flour) this combination is the most relished one.
Ready in 30 minutes this dish can be eaten as a brunch or a regular meal. Popular among the kids, tari wale aloo or rasedaar aloo is always accompanied with regular pooris or Missi puri. Once boiled potatoes are added to the cooked gravy, add water accordingly – depending on how thick you prefer your gravy to be.
Please excuse our pictures below as MOTHER NATURE surprised me bringing in the clouds 🙁 . Still have tried to provide you an idea on how the actual dish looks like.
DISCLAIMER – If you do not consume a particular veggie or spice during Navratri , feel free to leave that out and follow your family vrat guidelines.
DID YOU NOW YOU COULD ADJUST YOUR SERVING SIZE BELOW – CLICK ON 4 TO REDUCE OR INCREASE YOUR SERVING SIZE.
CAN’T MAKE IT NOW, PIN IT FOR LATER?
Did you make this recipe?
Tag @Ruchiskitchen on
Facebook | Instagram | Pinterest | Twitter
With your pictures, I would love to see your yummy creations!
Vrat wale Aloo
- 3 medium size Boiled and cubed Potatoes
- 2 tablespoon Tomato puree or freshly grated tomatoes (omit if you do not eat in vrat)
- 1 tablespoon Beaten Curd (yogurt)
- 1/4 teaspoon Red chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon Haldi (Turmeric powder) (omit if you do not eat in vrat)
- 1/2 teaspoon Coriander powder (omit if you do not eat in vrat)
- Salt to taste (Vrat salt - Sendha namak)
- 1/2 tablespoon Ghee
- A handful of Chopped cilantro leaves
- Boil and cube potatoes. Assemble all the ingredients.
- In a pan heat ghee and add cumin seeds. When they start to sputter add tomato puree and curd.
- Mix and saute for 1 minute. Add in all the spices.
- Stir and bring it to boil. When the oil starts to leave the masala..
- Mix in the boiled potatoes..
- And add 1/4 cup to 1/2 cup of water - depending on how thick you prefer your gravy to be.
- Bring it to boil, garnish with cilantro leaves.
- Serve hot with Kuttu ki poori.