Plan a perfect afternoon with an outstandingly delicious Orange Cake Recipe that is bursting with flavor and has the texture of a cloud, soft and fluffy! No one in my house can resist the alluring smell and taste of this delectable coffee cake.
Winter brings many seasonal fruits and vegetables along with it. One such fruit is the plain looking orange. There is something special about juicy, citrusy oranges. Can you guess? It’s quite versatile and can be used in almost every style of cooking – from juices to cakes. Orange Cake Recipe
Among all the variations of citrus fruits – oranges are my personal favorite. Nothing is more refreshing in the wearisome winter then eating a plate of oranges or sitting down and devouring a delicious cake along with coffee. Hmm, why not combine both of these amazing ideas, and create an ultimate winter recipe.
So, I decided to bake an easy recipe that perfectly blends with the ﬂavors of any beverage – a zesty Orange Cake recipe!!
With this idea in my mind, I visited my local grocery store and my recent trip yielded an ample amount of oranges. Big, juicy oranges, just perfect for this recipe. Orange Cake Recipe
NOW ONTO THE RECIPE!
Start by sifting all the dry ingredients together so there are no lumps of ﬂour/baking powder left behind. Cream butter and sugar together until its light and feathery.
This delicate creaming method incorporates air into the mixture which results in a light, moist and spongy cake.
Once the creaming process is completed and the mixture is a pale and light color, start blending the eggs into the mixture, one by one. Add the rest of the ingredients, along with the dry ingredients and whisk until the batter has a smooth and silky texture.
The concluding step would be to add the orange zest and orange juice. Mix and bake as directed below. Allow the cake to cool in the cake pan for a while before demolding.
A light dusting of powdered sugar will add an enticing charm to this cake. Feel free to add an orange glaze on the top or enjoy it as is.
For the glaze – Once the cake was at an appropriate temperature, I spread a hot glaze of melted white chocolate all over the top and allowed it to stream down the sides.
The ﬁnal cake turned out to be an irresistible piece of food that no one could deny. Now, all you need is a cup of hot refreshing coffee to wipe out this cake. Its enchanting taste will let your taste buds be seduced into a sweet heaven.
You will love everything about this cake. It’s an intensely flavored cake that is
- super moist
- bursting with fresh orange flavor
- and maintains a perfect balance of sweet and tart.
What more can you ask for? All in all, one of the most delicious coﬀee cakes I have to oﬀer for the cold winter time.
CAKE FLOUR MAKES A HUGE DIFFERENCE!
Wondering what is cake flour and why is that used in this recipe? I can explain. Cake flour is fine flour with low protein content. Because of this low protein, it adds a tender, delicate crumb to these cupcakes and makes them light and fluffy.
This low protein content influences the gluten or elasticity of the flour thus making cake flour a perfect ingredient for baking.
Do give this yummy cake a try and if you happen to make these, please comment below and leave your feedback.
Watch The Recipe Video Below!
Orange Cake Recipe
- 3 large Eggs
- 1/4 cup Milk
- 3/4 cup + 2 tablespoon Sugar
- 1.5 tablespoon Fresh orange zest (*see notes above)
- 2 tablespoon Fresh orange juice
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla essence
- 3/4 cup Soften butter
- Assemble dry ingredients. Preheat oven @ 350 degree F.
- Start by sifting all the dry ingredients together so there are no lumps of ﬂour/baking powder left behind. Set it aside.
- Assemble wet ingredients.
- Vanilla essence and milk.
- For orange zest- Rub the orange along the side of the grater. Rub it slowly and carefully so that you do not scrape your fingers.
- Cut a orange in half and squeeze out its juice. Set it aside.
- Cream butter and sugar together until its light and feathery.
- Once the creaming process is completed, and the mixture is a pale and light color, start blending the eggs into the mixture, one by one.
- Beat until fluffy.
- Pour in milk and vanilla essence. Add dry ingredients and beat until well blended.
- The concluding step would be to add the orange zest and orange juice. Mix it well and scrape down the sides of the bowl.
- Grease a baking pan.
- Pour batter into the greased pan. Smooth the surface and gently tap the bowl on the counter couple of times to release all the trapped air.
- Bake for 40 -45 minutes.
- Insert a toothpick into the center and if it comes out clean, cake is done.
- Allow the cake to cool in the cake pan for a while before demolding.
- (Baked another one for a friend.)
- A light dusting of powdered sugar will add an enticing charm to this cake. Feel free to add an orange glaze on the top or enjoy it as it is.
- Incredibly moist and fluffy orange cake is ready.
- When completely cooled, store it in an air tight container and is good for 3-4 days.
- Adding just a tablespoon of orange zest will add a mild and subtle citrus tone to the cake. If you want a more conspicuous and prominent ﬂavor, add a teaspoon or more.
- Other option would be – substitute 1.5 cup cake flour with 1 and 1/4 cup of all-purpose flour + 1/4 cup of Cornflour/cornstarch.