Looking for a quick and easy breakfast recipe to start your morning then your search has bought you to the right place. Crispy and flaky whole wheat flatbread (paratha) is stuffed with onions, gram flour and aromatic spices. On a cold wintry morning, onion and besan ka paratha(s) are a must have in my house. These parathas are a complete meal in itself, pair them up with achar, curd and are sufficient enough to fuel you up for the rest of your day- enjoy them as breakfast or brunch.
RECIPE DETAIL – We begin by kneading a soft pliable dough, cover and set it aside. Prepare the filling by sauteing chopped onions until they are translucent in color. Add besan and cook until besan is brown in color, mix in the spices and the filling is ready. Feel free to add chopped ginger-garlic to the recipe and adjust the spice level according to taste.
Stuff and roll the paratha as shown in the pics below, cook it on a hot griddle by applying as little as 1 teaspoon of oil/ghee to both the sides. Cook until brown and crispy. Best part is – you can make-ahead these parathas and store it in a foil. When ready to eat, warm them up and enjoy yummy parathas with achar and a cup of hot tea. These lip-smacking parathas will surely leave you craving for more.
Are we friend's yet? For recipe ideas, do follow @ruchiskitchen on -
For recipe ideas, do follow @ruchiskitchen on -
Don’t forget to ⭐ rate the recipe and leave me a comment below!
Onion and Besan ka Paratha
- 2 cups of Kneaded dough (whole wheat dough)
- 1 small onion chopped
- 3 tablespoon Besan (Chickpea flour/ Gram flour)
- 1/2 teaspoon Coriander powder (sukha dhaniya) (adjust according to taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon Cumin powder
- 1/4 teaspoon Chili powder (adjust according to taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon Fennel seeds (Sanuf)
- 1/4 teaspoon Haldi (Turmeric powder)
- A pinch of Hing/ Asafoetida
- 1 tablespoon Chopped cilantro leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon Garam Masala Powder (adjust according to taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon Amchur Powder (Mango Powder) (adjust according to taste)
- 1.5 tablespoon Oil to make the filling
- 3-4 tablespoon Oil/ghee to cook all the parathas
- Knead the dough and set it aside.
- Assemble all the ingredients needed for the filling.
- Heat oil in a pan. Add hing and chopped onions. Cook onions until they are translucent. Mix in besan/gram flour...
- Mix in all the spices except cumin powder, garam masala powder and amchur.
- Mix it well and cook until besan starts to change its color - it will become rich brown in color. Mix in the remaining spices.
- Adjust seasonings and take it off the flame.
- Make a small ball out the dough. Roll the dough ball into a small disc, place 2 teaspoon mixture on top and start pinching the sides together to form a round ball. Heat a griddle.
- Secure all ends and seal the ball. Dust the counter with some flour and shape the dough into a flatten paratha/bread .
- Transfer the paratha/bread onto the warm griddle. Cook from one side.
- Flip and cook from the other side.
- Apply oil and spread it around.
- Flip and cook while pressing down. Maintain a low flame.
- Apply oil to the uncooked side, flip and cook again.
- Paratha is all crispy and brown.
- Take it off the flame and onto a clean plate.
- Repeat the process with rest of the mixture.
- Serve it hot with pickle and hot tea.
- A perfect breakfast for a perfect morning!!