Homemade, creamy, and delicious Butter made with 3 basic ingredients. Requires only 2 ingredients and 20 minutes of your time and is so much better than the store-bought.
Nothing beats a taste of a fresh homemade white makhan/butter. Whether you enjoy it over warm parathas or smear all over a crispy toast, the taste is incomparable. Homemade white butter or makhan is so easy to make and is ready in minutes depending on the speed and type of equipment you use.
Did you know that you can make homemade butter in a jar?
A few years back, my son’s school teacher conducted a science experiment, and that just happened to be my volunteer day. She gave a glass jar (closed) 2/3 filled with cream to a group of kids, and they were asked to shake as hard as they can for 2 minutes. Result – whipped cream was formed because of all that shaking. Kids were again asked to shake the jar for 5-6 minutes.
The result – homemade butter was ready with buttermilk separated – brilliant experiment for kids.
How was butter made originally?
In India, fresh homemade makhan is always prepared from the cream or malai collected from milk.
Later, this cream that is collected over the span of few days, is transferred to a matki or large vessel and churned clockwise and anti-clockwise until butter and buttermilk are separated. It’s a long process and requires some muscle power. The ladies of the house would take turns and prepare homemade makhan throughout the day.
Till date, some people follow the same procedure.
How to make Homemade White Butter or Makhan?
You will need either a –
- Add heavy whipping cream to the machine you are using and keep mixing. Pretty quickly, the cream will start to thicken.
- Keep mixing until all the fat/butter starts to come together. This will take approximately 20 minutes on a different setting to produce a homemade butter.
- Keep adjusting the speed throughout the process. All the settings for a stand mixer are explained below.
How to eat this Homemade White Butter or Makhan?
Enjoy homemade butter with warm:
- Makki mooli methi ke parathe ,
- paneer paratha,
- pithi wala paratha,
- onion besan paratha,
- Gobi paratha,
- Methi paratha.
Let me know in the comments if you try this recipe. Feel free to contact me with any questions or inquiries, and I would be happy to answer them.
Homemade White Butter or Makhan
- 2 cups Heavy whipping cream
- 6-8 cup Ice cubes
- 1/2 cup Water (for washing butter)
- – – Salt (optional)
- I am using a stand mixer for making butter but a food processor or hand mixer will work just fine.
- Pour heavy whipping cream to a large bowl.
- Turn the mixer or hand blender to the lowest speed (setting #4) and start whipping the cream.
- Within 2 minutes, the cream will start to get frothy and thicken up, it will form a soft peak. Depending on the speed, this step may take longer.
- Increase the speed (setting #6) and start mixing again. For a food processor, use the highest setting.
- Another 8-9 minutes of mixing (on setting#6) – cream will start to curdle. Depending on the speed, this step may take longer.
- If you have not attained this texture, please do not add ice cubes. Keep mixing until you achieve this texture.
- Add ice cubes 2 at a time to the bowl and start mixing. Be careful, cover your mixer, as ice cubes will splash all around.
- LOWER THE SPEED to setting #2 and mix. Keep adding ice in batches (2 at a time). For a food processor, use the Lowest setting.
- Another 7-10 minutes of mixing with ice, on setting #4- cream will become grainy and liquid-y.
- Fat and liquid have separated.
- End product.
- Fat is the butter and …
- Liquid is the buttermilk.
- Rinse butter/fat under cold water to get rid of the buttermilk residue. Sieve and squeeze butter as tight as you can until all the traces of buttermilk is removed.
- This will prevent the butter from spoiling!! This recipe makes 1 cup of butter.
- Shape and store butter in an airtight container in your refrigerator. Enjoy with warm parathas.