If you are looking for a special Diwali recipe to make this year, look no further than this Pista Burfi. This recipe is relatively easy to put together and creates a perfect burfi that is so smooth, creamy, flavorful, and will just melt-in-your-mouth.
It might be one of the simplest treats you’ll make this festive season and is downright irresistible!
The festive season has begun, and tis the time of the year when festivities and excitement are in full swing. Pista Burfi
People decorate their houses, make sweet treats, and savories at homes to mark the celebrations.
There is a feeling of joy and merriment in the air. And all the special occasions, festivals, and celebrations in India are unimaginable without sweets.
Therefore, to celebrate Diwali’s special occasion, I have a luscious confection from India’s streets – Pista burfi recipe, or may I call it Milk Mawa Pista Burfi!
I have to admit; there is something about burfis that always attracts me. I think it’s their melt-in-the-mouth kind of delicate and creamy texture that forever gets to me.
I mean, how can someone say no to this burfi!
What is Burfi?
In case you are unfamiliar with Burfi, it is a general term used for a sweet milk-based confection. Once cooked over medium heat, the mixture is allowed to cool until it solidifies. Later this thickened combination is sliced into cubes or diamond-shaped pieces, similar to fudge.
The main ingredient in burfi can range from flours to nuts, milk powder, carrots, and even lentils.
Along with the main ingredient, burfi is a combination of simple yet flavorful ingredients such as ghee, sugar, nuts, and saffron that produce a lip-smacking recipe.
In Indian, you’ll come across many variations of burfi; some of my favorites are –
Each one of these is a plethora of flavor for every taste bud.
What makes this Pista Burfi Special?
» It’s completely homemade and contains no artificial ingredients.
» Easy to make – Pista Burfi comes together in less than 30 minutes (minus the set time).
» No fancy ingredients– You’ll need just a few simple ingredients that you probably have on hand.
» It’s a perfect dessert to celebrate any occasion. Great for gifts too!
» Gluten-free and pure dessert bliss!
Ingredients required to make Pista Burfi Recipe!
This burfi recipe takes less than 30 minutes to prepare and involves only six ingredients:
» Milk powder – Since milk powder is the building block for this recipe, I recommend using the best quality milk powder. I have used NOW Foods, Organic Non-Fat Dry Milk Powder for this recipe. Use this wherever the recipe calls for milk powder. The other best option is Nestle Nido Instant Dry Whole Milk Powder.
» Powdered sugar – also called confectioner’s sugar. Please use the powdered sugar as it will blend easily and lend a creamy texture to our Pistachio burfi.
» Milk – to bind our ingredients.
» Ghee – lends an excellent nutty taste to our burfi. Another option- you can try with unsalted butter.
» Pistachio Extract – our main flavoring agents. If no pistachio extract on hand, you can use kewra essence too.
» Chopped Pistachios – the star ingredient. I have added sliced pistachios to the burfi. Feel free to grind the pistachio (coarsely) then add it to the burfi.
Save some sliced pistachios and use it as a garnish too.
How to make Pista Burfi Recipe?
1. Melt ghee in a heavy-bottomed pan.
2. Add milk powder and stir until the mixture looks crumbly. Maintain the heat at the medium-low setting.
3. Pour milk into this mixture and mix it well. Add milk slowly. The mixture will come together as a soft, elastic dough. If the mixture doesn’t bind well, add another tablespoon of milk.
4. Add powdered sugar, pistachio essence, and stir to combine.
5. Keep stirring continuously, do not leave the mixture unattended at any time as it may burn. Keep stirring, and soon the mixture will start to thicken.
6. Take it off the flame and allow it to cool slightly. Add Pistachios to the mixture. Mix to combine.
7. Pour it into a baking dish and generously sprinkle the remaining 2 tablespoons of crushed green pistachio pieces on top. Allow the burfi to set (remain undisturbed) for 4-6 hours or overnight.
Once the pista burfi has cooled, cut into cubes and enjoy!
How to tell if Pista burfi is cooked?
Once the mixture comes together like a thick dough, take it off the flame. The burfi will be in a softball stage at this point. Take a small ball of the mix into your hands to check if it is done. Be careful; it will still be hot.
Roll the ball in between your palms. You are all set if it shapes into a ball and is not sticky. Your burfi is all done. Remember, the rolled ball will still be delicate at this point.
But as the burfi cools down, it will become firm.
» If the rolled dough ball sticks in your hand, return it to the pan and continue to cook until it reaches the softball stage. Do not continue with the sticky mix, or your burfi won’t set.
» Also, don’t go overboard in cooking the burfi; avoid overcooking; otherwise, your pista burfi will turn hard and brittle.
How to cut Pista burfi into perfect squares?
Once the burfi has cooled, run a very sharp greased knife all along the burfi in one go. The cut on the burfi gets uneven edges when the blade is pressed up and down.
Wipe the blade clean after the vertical cut, then cut the pista burfi horizontally to reduces crumbs.
Before cutting, always make sure that the burfi is at room temperature. Firm but still soft.
Can I use other flavorings?
Of course, you can! Since it’s a pistachio burfi, I have used pistachio extract for a more pronounced flavor. However, you can swap pista extract with kewra essence.
Can I make Pista burfi ahead of time?
Most certainly! It’s the perfect make-ahead burfi recipe. This decadent, nutty pista burfi tastes fantastic at room temperature.
But if the weather is hot, I would recommend storing it in the refrigerator. It will last for a week in the fridge. Store the burfi in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
Even after a week, this burfi tastes amazingly divine.
Other variations for Pista Burfi!
If you or your family member is allergic to pistachios, try swapping pistachios for-
- Choco chips
- toasted coconut layer
- Mangoes…. the possibilities are endless!
So, if you are looking for a perfect Diwali dessert that’s quick to make, bring smiles, and lots of rave reviews, then this Pista burfi is just for you!
It’s a pretty straightforward recipe, and you won’t be disappointed. Besides that, this burfi makes the perfect festive gift.
Be sure to check out other burfi recipes on the blog. They are all drool-worthy and worth a try!
Craving for more, try these other festive treats-
Should you make this Pista Burfi, please leave me a comment below, and don’t forget to share it with your family and friends.
Happy Diwali to all!
|This recipe post has been updated from the archives, first published on November 5th, 2018|
- – – Coarsely pounded Pistachios
- – – Edible dried rose petals
- Melt ghee in a heavy bottomed pan, and add milk powder.
- Stir until the mixture looks crumbly. Maintain the heat at the medium-low setting.
- Pour milk into this mixture and mix it well. Add milk slowly. The mixture will come together as a soft, elastic dough. If the mixture doesn’t bind well, add another tablespoon of milk.
- Add powdered sugar, pistachio essence, and stir to combine.
- Keep stirring continuously, do not leave the mixture unattended at any time as it may burn. Keep stirring and soon the mixture will start to thicken.
- Take it off the flame and allow it to cool slightly. Add Pistachios to the mixture. Mix to combine.
- Pour it into a baking dish and generously sprinkle the remaining 2 tablespoons of crushed green pistachio pieces on top.
- Allow the burfi to set (remain undisturbed) for 4-6 hours or overnight.
- This decadent nutty pista burfi tastes amazing at room temperature.