Instant Khaman Dhokla or Besan Dhokla recipe is a steamed cake prepared with chickpea flour and spices. It’s a mouth-watering, nutritious, and irresistible Gujarati snack; that’s perfect as breakfast and even better as a snack.
Tastes great when served with a cup of hot tea and green chutney.
In this post, you will find answers to all your query-
- How to make instant khaman dhokla with a detailed photo and video recipe
- The best authentic dhokla recipe
- How to make Instant Khaman Dhokla with eno
- How to make Gujarati khaman
Instant Khaman Dhokla is my go-to recipe!
When it comes to making something quick and easy, Instant Khaman Dhokla is my go-to recipe. I’ve been making this Gujarati khaman dhokla recipe for years (ever since my college days), and it’s the BEST.
I mean, there is nothing better than a fluffy and velvety dhokla made from scratch. Khaman Dhokla Recipe
Best of all, this besan dhokla can be a real lifesaver when unexpected guests arrive.
YOU WILL LOVE THIS INSTANT KHAMAN DHOKLA RECIPE!
Because it’s –
- Super easy-to-make.
- Healthy and filling.
- Soft and spongy. Instant Pot khaman Dhokla Recipe
- Has an incredible melt-in-mouth flavor and
- One of the most loved Indian food.
What is Khaman?
Khaman is a steamed delicacy that originates from the Indian state of Gujarat. It is made with split chickpeas flour, also known as besan.
It comes together in less than 30 minutes, and later, the steamed savory cake is embellished with a tempering of mustard seeds, curry leaves, and green chilis.
What is the difference between Khaman and Dhokla?
One of the frequently asked questions that often surface on the blog is – what makes khaman different from dhokla?
To be honest, they are two completely different snacks. Both the varieties originate from the Indian state of Gujarat (western state of India) and are equally relished. Khaman Dhokla Recipe
» Khaman is the instant one. Its made with either soaked chana dal or chickpea flour. It’s yellow in color and is soft and airy in texture.
» Dhokla preparation requires fermentation. The fermented batter is made with rice flour. Rice grains are soaked overnight to create a delicious snack the following day.
Dhokla is white in color and is a bit dense in comparison to khaman.
Whether it is Dhokla or Khaman – they both make a delicious, healthy snack! Instant Pot khaman Dhokla Recipe
Ingredients required for Instant Khaman Dhokla Recipe
This Gujarati khaman dhokla recipe is made with simple pantry ingredients, and here’s what you’ll need:
- Besan (Chickpea flour/ Gram flour) – use the fine quality of besan.
- Sooji (Semolina) – added for texture.
- Sugar – balances out the spicy flavor pretty well.
- Salt Khaman Dhokla Recipe
- Crushed ginger and green chilies – these two are added for extra spice and flavor. But feel free to leave that out if you are not a spice lover.
- Eno (fruit salt) + Citric acid – a must-have for this recipe
- Water (may need to add less for that pouring consistency)
How to make a Fail-proof Instant Khaman Dhokla?
Many people coy away from making Gujarati khaman dhokla because it doesn’t turn spongy. Trust me on this one, as it has been tried by hundreds of my followers with successful outcomes.
Hands down, it is one foolproof dhokla recipe and one of the easiest and healthiest snacks to cook at home.
1. In a large bowl, add chickpea flour, sooji, hing, salt, and sugar. You can store this mix in an airtight container and when ready mix in the ingredients mentioned under – “wet ingredients.”
2. Add oil, citric acid, green chili + ginger paste, and salt.
3. Add water and mix until well blended. Khaman Dhokla Recipe
4. Time to instantly ferment the batter by adding eno. Stir in eno and whisk until it is well blended.
5. Wisk the mixture in one direction.
6. The mixture will become frothy and double in size.
7. Pour the batter to a greased container.
8. Fill a large pan with water and place a trivet at the base. Set khaman dhokla container over the trivet. Cover it with a lid and steam khaman for about 15- 20 minutes.
9. After the cooking time is over, insert a toothpick to check if khaman is cooked correctly. It should come out clean.
10. Allow it to cool for 10 minutes. Insert a knife around the edges to loosen up Khaman dhokla from all the sides. Flip it over onto a plate.
11. Using a sharp knife cut khaman into pieces. Don’t press the blade down; instead, cut it the way we cut a cake.
PROTIP – Holding a knife, insert the pointy side of the blade first in the Khaman, lift it a little, and again cut gently, keep repeating till all the pieces are cut. This way, you will get perfect fluffy pieces.
Preparing the Tempering
12. In a pan heat oil, add green chilies, and let it crackle on a low flame. Add curry leaves, and when they are crisp, add sugar and water. Mix to combine. Khaman Dhokla Recipe
Pour this hot mixture over steamed khaman. Enjoy this delicious and nutritious Gujarati khaman with the chutney of your choice.
Recipe Tips for the BEST Instant Khaman Dhokla Recipe!
In this post, I am unfolding a few of my favorite tips and tricks that I have learned over the years to make a fail-proof instant khaman dhokla recipe.
» Measure the ingredients correctly. Use proper dry and liquid measurements to measure your ingredients.
» Always start with a fresh batch of eno. A stale pack or pre-opened packet of eno may result in flat dhoklas.
» Use the plain flavor of eno for this recipe. Avoid flavored ones.
» Beat the batter well. The more you beat the mixture, the more air is incorporated in the batter, resulting in soft-spongy khaman.
» Whisk the batter in one direction – either clockwise or anti-clockwise.
» After adding Eno, do not whisk the batter for too long. Mix until the batter is just combined with eno. Instant Khaman Dhokla Recipe
» Once Khaman is cooked, always insert a knife or toothpick for doneness. If the toothpick comes out wet, then your Khaman needs more steaming time.
Substitutes and other variations!
» What can be used instead of eno in Instant Khaman Dhokla?
Eno can be substituted with 1 teaspoon Baking powder. Likewise, citric acid can be substituted for lemon juice. THOUGH CITRIC ACID WORKS THE BEST, IT GIVES GREAT RESULTS.
» My successful Khaman Dhokla experiments!
I have experimented khaman dhokla recipe with lemon juice, and the one that gave me good results is the citric acid + Eno combo.
Eno and citric acid create a fizzy reaction, which is very important for soft and fluffy khaman.
Follow these basic tricks correctly, and you are on your way to the most fluffy instant dhokla.
How To Make Instant Khaman Dhokla in Microwave?
This khaman dhokla recipe can be cooked in your microwave too. To cook dhokla in a microwave –
- Pour the prepared batter in a greased microwave bowl.
- Place a cup filled with water in the microwave. Now, place the microwavable container and steam khaman dhokla for 3-4 minutes (depending on the microwave, cooking times may vary).
- When the cooking time is over, check for doneness. Insert a toothpick; if the toothpick comes out with some batter, return it to the microwave and cook for another 30 seconds.
- Carefully remove the dhokla from the bowl.
- Pour the tempering over khaman. Cut into pieces and enjoy!
How to cook Instant khaman Dhokla in an Instant Pot?
To cook Khaman dhokla in the Instant pot –
- Prepare the batter as directed in the recipe. Transfer the Khaman dhokla batter to a greased container.
- Now, pour 2 cups of water into the insert of the Instant Pot.
- Place a tall trivet in the center of the insert.
- Turn the Instant pot ON. Press the Manual button.
- Place the khaman dhokla batter container on top of the trivet.
- Cover the Instant pot insert with a glass lid.
- Steam the Instant Khaman dhokla for 10 minutes or until the toothpick inserted comes out clean.
Let me know in the comments if you try this Khaman Dhokla recipe. Feel free to contact me with any questions or inquiries, and I would be happy to answer them. Instant Khaman Dhokla Recipe
While you are here, checkout my other comfort food recipes:
Instant Khaman Dhokla
HOMEMADE KHAMAN DHOKLA MIX
KHAMAN DHOKLA PREPARATION
- In a large bowl add besan, sooji, hing, salt, and sugar. You can store this mix in an airtight container and when ready mix in the ingredients mentioned under – "wet ingredients".
- De-seed green chilies. Using a motor pestle pound chilies and ginger to a fine paste. Add oil, citric acid, green chili + ginger paste, and salt. Add water and mix until well blended. PROTIP – Beat the dhokla batter a couple of times to incorporate air into it. This will result in a fluffy and light dhokla. This has to be done before adding eno.
- Time to instantly ferment the batter by adding eno. Stir in eno and whisk until it is well blended. Wisk the batter in one direction – either clockwise or anti-clockwise. The batter will become frothy, and double in size. PROTIP- Do not whisk after the batter has become frothy. The batter at this point should be of thick flowing consistency.
- Fill a large pan with water and place a trivet at the base. Instantly transfer the batter to a greased container. Place this container over the trivet.
- Cover it with a lid and steam khaman for about 15- 20 minutes.
- When the cooking time is up, carefully remove the khaman container from the steamer and set it on the counter.
- Insert a toothpick to check if khaman is properly cooked. It should come out clean. Allow it to cool for 10 minutes. Insert a knife around the edges to loosen up Khaman. Flip it over onto a plate.
- Perfectly steamed Khaman is ready for tempering. Using a sharp knife cut khaman into pieces. Don’t press the knife down rather cut it the way we cut a cake. Holding a knife insert the pointy side of the knife first in the Khaman, lift it a little and again cut gently, keep repeating till all the pieces are cut. This way you will get perfect fluffy pieces.
- Pour batter in a greased microwave bowl. Cook for 3-4 minutes (depending on the microwave, cooking times may vary). Carefully remove the dhokla from the bowl. Check for doneness – Insert a toothpick, if the toothpick comes out with some batter, return it to the microwave and cook for another 30 seconds.
- Allow it to cool. Cut into squares and prepare the tempering.
- In a pan heat oil, add green chilies and let it crackle on a low flame. Add curry leaves and when they are crisp, add sugar, and water. Mix to combine.
- Pour this hot mixture over steamed khaman. Enjoy this delicious and nutritious Gujarati snack with the chutney of your choice.