Chaats are always welcomed in my family and that too if it is NON FRIED. We all are familiar with this yummy and delicious all-time-favorite Dahi Bhalla or Dahi Vada recipe. Savory non fried lentil fritters dipped in yogurt, served chilled; topped with chutneys and spices.. yum!! A gorgeous dish to serve at dinner parties or potluck. Don’t you love the beautiful combination of colors and is so tempting. I wish I could just grab a bowl from the screen and enjoy it right away. 😉
BATTER PREPARATION– Overnight soaked urad dal is grounded to a smooth paste. I have added curd to the grounded dal as my batter was too dry while grinding. But this step is optional, if the batter is already too runny, skip this step. Curd gives a soft texture to the bhallas/vadas. Eno (fruit salt) is also added to the batter for a spongy texture. How to make soft and spongy dahi vadas – beat the batter well until its light and fluffy; just like a cake batter.
COOKING METHOD – Below I have displayed three methods to make these yummy dumplings.
STEAMED METHOD. Just like idlis, batter was steamed in a nonstick donut pan until cooked. To give it a crunchy taste cook them in a greased pan until brown and crispy. TOTAL COOK TIME – for 15 vadas was 12 minutes of steaming and 5 minutes for a crispy finish. – 18-20 minutes.
MICROWAVABLE METHOD – Pour batter in greased microwave bowls and cook each bowl for 35-45 seconds (depending on the temperature cooking time may vary). TOTAL TIME – for 15 vadas – 5 – 8 minutes.
And third one is of course the traditional method – FRYING METHOD. TOTAL TIME – 10 minutes on medium heat.
Assembling is super easy. I prefer to add a lot of yogurt/curd to my chaat and spice it up with chutneys as I love the combination of curd and chutneys. Everything from chutneys to vadas/bhallas was homemade and homemade curd was used in the making of this dish. Enjoy this very healthy and nutritious dish, a perfect appetizer for a hot and humid weather.
CAN’T MAKE IT NOW, PIN IT FOR LATER?
Did you make this recipe?
Tag @Ruchiskitchen on
Facebook | Instagram | Pinterest | Twitter
With your pictures, I would love to see your yummy creations!
Dahi Bhalla or Dahi Vada recipe
- 1 cup Urad ki dhuli dal (Split black gram)
- 2 tablespoon Yellow Moong Dal
- 1-2 teaspoon Curd (optional)
- 1 tablespoon Ginger paste
- 1-2 nos. of Green chillies
- 1.5 teaspoon Roasted cumin seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon Red chili powder
- Salt to taste
- 1 teaspoon Eno (fruit Salt)
- Oil for Frying and greasing
ASSEMBLING DAHI VADA INGREDIENTS
- 1 kg Beaten Curd (yogurt)
- 1 cup Green Chutney
- 1 cup Tamarind Chutney
- 2 teaspoon Roasted cumin seeds (to sprinkle on top)
- 2 teaspoon Red chili powder (to sprinkle on top)
- 1 teaspoon Gram flour sev to sprinkle on top (to sprinkle on top)
- Salt to taste
- Wash and soak both the dals together for 6-8 hours or overnight.
- Assemble all the ingredients.
- Drain all the water and wash the soaked dal with clean water.
- Strain it through a strainer and let all the water drain out. Make sure dal has no water left in it.
- Transfer it to a mixer/food processor. Ground it to a smooth paste. Add 1 - 2 teaspoon curd while grinding. PLEASE NOTE - if the mixture is already too runny than leave out the curd.
- Transfer grounded mixture to a big bowl and add ingredients one by one.
- Just like a cake batter beat the mixture couple of times till its light and fluffy. Trick to soft and spongy vadas lies in beating the batter.
- To check if the batter is light and fluffy - drop some batter in cold water and if it keeps floating then the batter is perfect for vadas but if it sinks to the bottom of the bowl then it requires more beating. Once batter is ready, let' s move on to the next step.
MAKING VADAS IN DONUTS PAN
- First step would be - STEAMING THE VADAS. For that I have used a donut pan. Boil water in a large pan. Grease the donut pan and place it over the pan filled with hot water.
- Spoon out the mixture all around the donut pan and fill up all its moulds.
- Cover and let it steam for 3-4 minutes.
- Steamed vadas are rady.
- Allow it to cool down and remove them from their moulds.
- Perfectly shaped Dahi vada.
- If you like a crispy outer covering for these vadas...
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a pan. Place donut in the hot pan and brown them up. It will take 2-3 minutes to brown them up.
- Steamed crispy donuts are ready.
MAKING VADAS IN MICROWAVE
- Let's begin with microwave method. Grease the microwavable bowls.
- Add 1 tablespoon mixture in greased bowl and microwave on HIGH for 35-45 seconds. Microwave temperatures may vary.
- Microwave cooked Dahi Vadas.
- Traditional method would be to fry these vadas. Heat oil in a kadhai, using a spoon drop the batter one by one in hot oil and fry until golden brown.
- Fried dahi vadas are ready.
- Boil water in a pan, add vadas and let them soak in hot water for couple of minutes. Remove from hot water and squeeze them in between your hands and squeeze out all the water. Make sure not to break the vadas. Set them aside.
ASSEMBLING DAHI VADAS
- Let's begin the final step. Assemble all the ingredients.
- Beat curd in a large vessel and add salt.
- FOR INDIVIDUAL SERVING - In a bowl add curd..
- Place a vada/s...
- Generously top it with more curd...
- Pour the chutneys on top...
- Sprinkle a pinch of red chili powder...
- Sprinkle a pinch of roasted cumin seeds and chaat masala.
- Top it up with crisp sev, pomegranate and serve chilled.
- Dahi vadas are ready. Add extra chutneys as per one's taste.