For Punjabis, parathas form an important part of their morning breakfast whether be Paneer paratha, leftover dal paratha,Pithi paratha , methi ka paratha or gobi paratha. Today I am making this paratha on the occasion of Karwa chouth and will be enjoying it with hot tea in the morning as sargi. Read more on Karwa chouth katha, Sargi ki thali and how to make Karwa choth diya.
RECIPE DETAIL – Grate a small gobi. You can use a hand grater to do that. I have done mine in a food processor. Add salt to the grated gobi and set it aside of 20 minutes. This is an essential step and should not be missed. After salt is added gobhi releases some liquid and that needs to be drained off properly. If not done, gobi will be all watery and difficult to handle. To do that take a muslin cloth, transfer gobi, close the cloth and squeeze out all the liquid – 2 cups of gobi will be reduced to 1 cup of gobi.
After removing all the liquid, rub gobi with hands – it should feel dry. Mix in all the spices. Just before rolling the paratha, mix in salt- as all the salt is washed away during squeezing. Make sure to use up all the salted gobi mixture, if not used it will again turn watery. Roll the paratha as shown below and cook until evenly brown.
Since I was making this for my morning Karwa chouth sargi, I have added minimal spices. But if making it as a regular breakfast than feel free to experiment.
- Knead the dough and set it aside.
- Wash and grate gobhi. I have used a food processor to grate gobi. Add salt and set it aside for 20 minutes.
- With salt, gobi will be all watery. Transfer gobi to a muslin cloth..
- And squeeze out all the liquid. You can do it beforehand and keep the squeezed gobi in the refrigerator.
- All squeezed gobi.
- Assemble: rest of the ingredients.
- Combine all he ingredients in a bowl and..
- Mix it well. Just before shaping the paratha add salt and mix. Use up all the gobi or it will again turn watery.
- Heat a griddle. Meanwhile take a small round dough ball and flatten it. Apply some oil, place gobi mixture in the center.
- Start folding the dough and seal all the edges.
- Apply some dry dough and...
- Start rolling the paratha.
- Paratha all rolled out.
- Transfer it onto the hot griddle.
- Cook from one side and flip..Apply oil to the cooked side.
- Flip and cook the other side.
- The front of the paratha all cooked.
- Back part of the paratha.
- When cooked transfer it to a clean plate.
- Serve it warm with achar...
- Or Enjoy it with curd and hot tea!!